Is Dexter worth watching?

RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After the loss of 24 and Lost this year (two shows I loved), I've been wanting to get into a new show. I've heard good stuff about both Dexter and House, but I'm being more drawn to Dexter at the moment.

Would you guys recommend watching it from the start? I heard John Lithgow was insanely brilliant in the last season too.

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, yes it is :D

Watch it from the beginning.
  • miss-kittymiss-kitty Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh God yes!!!!
    Obviously it does depend on what you are into! but this show is AMAZING
    (can you tell I am a huge fan?)
    Micheal C Hall is a fabulous actor and plays his character chillingly well!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 1 - Amazing.
    Season 2 - Still great not as good as S1
    Season 3 - Pretty poor compared to S1 + S2 it kind of had a different feel to me
    Season 4 - Possibly the best of the lot. And yes John Lithgow is brilliant.
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I've just started downloading episode 1...:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    The story unfolds slowly at the first 5 episodes... so be patient.

After the 6th episode, trust me... you won't be able to do any breaks. The show becomes very addictive!
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 1 - Amazing.
    Season 3 - Pretty poor compared to S1 + S2 it kind of had a different feel to me

Agreed:cool:
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    Agreed:cool:

Agree as well. Season 4 is proving to be a real slow burner. Although House is well worth getting in to as well.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,908
    Forum Member
    YES! You must watch it.

I'm a bit behind with it - have just received the 3rd series on DVD through the post yesterday :)

I think it's an intense and gripping programme, brimming with tension and moral ambiguity. Heartily recommend it.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Yes, Yes.

:D
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's well worth it. My favourite current TV show, along with True Blood.
    Season 1 - Amazing.

For me all seasons have been great apart from maybe season 2 which for some reason I didnt find as absorbing as the rest (still very good though). I do think s3 gets a lot of underseved slack.
  • JS477JS477 Posts: 1,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This series is a ton better than Series 3. I've just finished watching Series 4 and all I can say is it was great!!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed season 2. For me it was up there with season 1, both fantastic. I didn't like season 3 nearly as much, the story arc for that season didn't grab me as much as the first 2. But it's still worth watching.

I'm watching season 4 at UK pace and really enjoying it so far, definitely back to form and on a par with the first 2 seasons. And yes, John Lithgow is fantastic. Dexter is the best show on TV in my opinion. And that's coming from someone still wearing black every day to mourn Lost lol.

As for House, I'm a fan of that show too. It does tend to be quite formulaic, and quite predictable sometimes. But Hugh Laurie is brilliant and apparently it's the most watched TV show in the world so that's says something!

Another show I'd highly recommend is Medium, if you're looking for anything else to get into and don't already watch it.
  • jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 1 - Amazing.

I would agree with that :D i nearly didnt watch season 4 after how bad 3 was, but im sooooo glad i did now!!!
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing series. Even Deb will grow on you :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    Definitely give it a watch. I'm sure you'll come to love it.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kyri wrote: »

Dexter won me as a life-time viewer after only ~5mins into ep1.

Methinks you'll be soon acquiring the rest the season.

Now don't be tempted to skip any season just to get some Lithgo(?).
  • David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be alone because I actually prefered Season 3 to Season 2. Season 2 was OK, but that Lyla woman got on my nerves more and more as it went along.

Jimmy Smitts was great at the guest star in Season 3.

For me it'd be;

Season 1
    Season 3
    Season 2

Haven't seen Season 4 yet (though did stumble across the conclussion to season 4 a few months ago) Waiting for the DVD as I don't have FX.:(

Anyway, yes, Dexter is definately worth getting into. Do start with Season 1 and work through though, rather than just jumping straight into Season 4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    I agree with those above - watch it of you enjoy quality
    drama with a dark heart and a wonderful humorous
    streak! And the legendary Lithgow!

I was bullied into watching it a few weeks ago by just
    about all my workmates (my boss ORDERED me to
    watch!) and I've been hooked from episode one.

I'm watching the series 'ass about face' now, having
    ordered the first three series off the web.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kyri wrote: »

You won't regret it!

I love the series. Doakes is one of my favourite characters, John Lithgoe is lethal, and it's always interesting.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i wa sonce in your position and........................yes!!!!!! all 3 seasons i have seen are great and s4 has been amazing so far
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a word: YES!!! :D

Just make sure yuo watch it from the very beginning of S1 and work your way through... I made the mistake of watching it from S2 thinking it didn't matter and I wish I hadn't now. I've only just got around to watching S1 on DVD and it was amazing, even though I knew what was going to happen.

I'm not sure what order I would put the series in as I like them all. S1 and S4 are probably the best. S2 was good, but like somebody else said, Lila did get annoying. And S3 was good for me just cos Jimmy Smits was in it! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Ive had this for ages and a few years back tried episode 1 but had so much to watch that I gave up on it. I never usually give up on a first episode, and it was mostly due to having too much "current" TV to watch.

reading the comments on here I think I might start this over the next few days. Just finished watching a number of short-run series and need to start a new longer running show or the autumn / winter which helps fill the voids left by a "not too appealing" USTV schedule - this is possibly the year Ive got the least number of shows to watch!!
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Season 1 - Amazing.

Yeah you summed it up very well. Dexter is a great show. Currently it is on its 5th season in the USA.
  • rufnek2k6rufnek2k6 Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 4 is the best by far, S1 for me was the weakest, took quite a while for the plot to develop.
  • jette52jette52 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    rufnek2k6 wrote: »
    Series 4 is the best by far, S1 for me was the weakest, took quite a while for the plot to develop.

i liked season 2. season 3 was the weakest for me.