Options

Madonna and GAGA

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,406
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Would be awesome if they both did a smash up of express yourself and BTW and made it a single

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of them is too much of an egomaniac shade throwing cow to participate. Guess which.
  • Options
    FabalaFabala Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of them is too much of an egomaniac shade throwing cow to participate. Guess which.

Enlighten us.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The pretentious copycat one with no sense of humour but a great sensitivity to being victimised, obviously.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Please don't ruin "Express Yourself" by merging it with Gaga's crap knock-off version.
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please don't ruin "Express Yourself" by merging it with Gaga's crap knock-off version.

This. I'd rather Madonna just sang the classic without it being contaminated by an inferior song
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    The pretentious copycat one with no sense of humour but a great sensitivity to being victimised, obviously.

Ha ha!!!! ^^ This!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    I wish the media would stop pitting these 2 artists against each other, everyone knows GaGa worships Madonna and Madonna has praised GaGa several times as well. I'm sure Madonna is well aware that she isn't the "it" girl anymore and is probably really flattered by GaGa's clear influences in her work. The media are just twisting Madonna's well known dry humour into her being a bitch when she isn't and then the other day they tried making one of GaGa's speeches to be a response to it. It's absolutely pathetic imo and any supposed feud between them is completely fabricated by idiotic journalists who need to fill in some headlines.
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sick of the 'rivalry' that the press seem so determined to make happen. I'm just so over it.
  • Options
    maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You do realise that Madonna & her co-songwriter Stephen Bray got successfully sued for 25% royalties of the song "Express Yourself" for the similarities it had with the 1972 USA #12 hit "Respect Yourself" by the Staple Singers written by Stax songwriters Luther Ingram & Mack Rice.

Similarly Madonna has had to do out of court settlements on several of her other biggest hits:

Vogue - out of court settlement with Malcolm McLaren for that song's similarity with his 1989 single "Deep In Vogue"

Rescue Me - successfully sued for royalties as the song which she & Shep Pettibone composed was found guilty of plagiarising Deee-Lite's The Power Of Love" resulting it's songwriter Anthony Shimkin gaining 50% royalties in agreeing to remain uncredited on the track.

Justify My Love - out of court settlement for an estimated $2 million to former Prince protege and partner Ingrid Chavez for an unreleased song which had been offered to many contemporary popstars at the time including Madonna.

Beautiful Stranger - out of court settlement to singer/songwriter Arthur Lee for its similarities to his band Love's "She Comes In Colours" track.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do realise that Madonna & her co-songwriter Stephen Bray got successfully sued for 25% royalties of the song "Express Yourself" for the similarities it had with the 1972 USA #12 hit "Respect Yourself" by the Staple Singers written by Stax songwriters Luther Ingram & Mack Rice.

Similarly Madonna has had to do out of court settlements on several of her other biggest hits:

Vogue - out of court settlement with Malcolm McLaren for that song's similarity with his 1989 single "Deep In Vogue"

Rescue Me - successfully sued for royalties as the song which she & Shep Pettibone composed was found guilty of plagiarising Deee-Lite's The Power Of Love" resulting it's songwriter Anthony Shimkin gaining 50% royalties in agreeing to remain uncredited on the track.

Justify My Love - out of court settlement for an estimated $2 million to former Prince protege and partner Ingrid Chavez for an unreleased song which had been offered to many contemporary popstars at the time including Madonna.

Beautiful Stranger - out of court settlement to singer/songwriter Arthur Lee for its similarities to his band Love's "She Comes In Colours" track.

Nice post, enjoyed reading it :)

With music its off balance to keep insinuating "Gaga the copy cat" regardless of names.
    There are billions of tracks that have been completed & the chances of making a completely original track is like 1-1000.

As-well it's very common that most artists have initial inspirations that made them want to become an artist.

Therefore these "inspirations" echo throughout their future tracks.

Personally I can't hear the resemblance, maybe it's because of my age.
    I know there is plenty of tracks I've heard from various artists that I would like "sue" for plagiarism, hahaha :)
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member

Well I guess that's why there'll be no collabo then?

Good! I don't want one anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The more I watch Madonna's EY/BTW performance the more I see it as a dig. At first I thought it was M simply saying 'stop comparing us' but if you check the video screen behind the BTW performance it shows little monsters eating iconic images packaged as canned food. It's all tit for tat anyway and I think it was a underhand and sly dig at the end of the BTW video where she dresses up as Madonna and sheds a tear. Like I said its all tit for tat and Madonna's being pitted against other females throughout her career and it hasn't killed her off:)
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    The more I watch Madonna's EY/BTW performance the more I see it as a dig. At first I thought it was M simply saying 'stop comparing us' but if you check the video screen behind the BTW performance it shows little monsters eating iconic images packaged as canned food. It's all tit for tat anyway and I think it was a underhand and sly dig at the end of the BTW video where she dresses up as Madonna and sheds a tear. Like I said its all tit for tat and Madonna's being pitted against other females throughout her career and it hasn't killed her off:)

Thats a good point about the Madonna tear image in the Born This Way video. I forgot she had done that. So it seems has the media. I still to this day don't know if that was Gaga being a bitch or whether it had some sort of deep hidden meaning but now its been brought back to my attention I actually think Madonna was spot on to respond the way she has. So if anyone threw shade first it was Gaga.

haha that turns the whole thing on its head now..
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Well I guess that's why there'll be no collabo then?

Good! I don't want one anyway.

Ooh that comes across as a bit babyish.

What I mean is I don't want a collabo between them, not because I hate one or the other but because it's not good for either of them's image.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats a good point about the Madonna tear image in the Born This Way video. I forgot she had done that. So it seems has the media. I still to this day don't know if that was Gaga being a bitch or whether it had some sort of deep hidden meaning but now its been brought back to my attention I actually think Madonna was spot on to respond the way she has. So if anyone threw shade first it was Gaga.

I saw it as being Gaga saying 'Madonna and MJ used to being royalty but I'm here now' of course it can be interpreted differently but it wasn't really necessary for Gaga to do that as it didn't fit in with the song
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol there is no "hierarchy" in music.

Just like there is no age limit to make music.
    You can be a musician at any damn age you want. :)

IMO Madonna need's to un-wield her head from her a**
    It seems its been up there far to long :cool:
    She doesn't control who can be talented and famous...that's up to fate.

My advice would be to leave it up to the judge and jury in a court room to decide,
    whether who or what song has ripped off her ancient material anyway.
  • Options
    Kat's StilettosKat's Stilettos Posts: 397
    Forum Member

So, what was there to find funny about the numerous Madonna put downs? If one of my idols put me down, I'd be pissed as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, what was there to find funny about the numerous Madonna put downs? If one of my idols put me down, I'd be pissed as well.

Like said though, and its been totally forgotten, why did Gaga feel the need to dress up as Madonna in her Born This Way video and have her with tears running down her face? you have to wonder what Madonna made of that and I guess this is her response.

Its easy to say Madonna is being immature or bitchy but why did Gaga do that in the first place? When you take that into context Madonna had a right to respond as certainly looked like a diss for some reason.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member

It is indeed amusing to bathe in the irony.

haha that turns the whole thing on its head now..

It's not brought up because it's unclear who or what that image at the end of the BTW video was supposed to be. You can't really call Gaga out for throwing the shade first if it's not even accepted that it was shade at all.

Some may think it's about Madonna, but I know a lot of people believe it's a representation of a young, gap toothed Stefani who's crying. That would certainly make more sense in the context of the song and album.
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is 'GAGA' now suddenly in capital letters everywhere? Is it actually an acronym for something :confused:

And anyway, this topic seems so superfluously tedious. Didn't they both do a good-natured 'pretend fighting' skit on some American talk show only a couple of years ago??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is indeed amusing to bathe in the irony.
    It isn't really as Madonna wasn't sued for Express Yourself to my mind and I ask of anyone to find proof it even happened. I have asked several people now and no one can recall such a thing happening. As a Madonna fan the first I have heard of that was here. There is very little on the net to validate the claims which are being made and it infact only seems to keep linking back to this thread here! In the Celebration credits, only Madonna and Stephen Bray take credits while for Justify My Love, Ingrid Chavez gets her first official credit for the track and the lawsuit was against Lenny Kravits anyway not Madonna.

If you want to play that game though look at how many claims of copying have been thrown at Gaga in just four years compared to the amount Madonna has managed in 30 years.

If you want real juice on artists who pass other peoples work off as their own go google Beyonce.

It's not brought up because it's unclear who or what that image at the end of the BTW video was supposed to be. You can't really call Gaga out for throwing the shade first if it's not even accepted that it was shade at all.

Some may think it's about Madonna, but I know a lot of people believe it's a representation of a young, gap toothed Stefani who's crying. That would certainly make more sense in the context of the song and album.

That's a neat way of trying to pass the buck but the MJ reference as well is too clear for it not to mean something..............
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    It isn't really as Madonna wasn't sued for Express Yourself to my mind and I ask of anyone to find proof it even happened. There is very little on the net to validate the claims which are being made and it infact only seems to keep linking back to this thread here! In the Celebration credits, only Madonna and Stephen Bray take credits while for Justify My Love, Ingrid Chavez gets her first official credit for the track and the lawsuit was against Lenny Kravits anyway not Madonna.

That's a neat way of trying to pass the buck but the MJ reference as well is too clear for it not to mean something..............

The point isn't in the actuality/outcomes of the lawsuits, it's in the accusations themselves. It's ironic that people give Gaga such a hard time for ripping things off, when Madonna herself faced more or less the same.

So, because you consider there to be an MJ reference there, she must be throwing shade at Madonna?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't they both do a good-natured 'pretend fighting' skit on some American talk show only a couple of years ago :confused:

They did.They both went to each others shows and spoke of each other in glowing terms. From what I recall, it went a bit sour when BTW was released and there was a bit of a backlash when the media compared it to EY and I know this upset Gaga. White Shadow then came out and launched a scathing insulting attack on Madonna. I know Starlight called her 'a dried up old c*nt'. Then came the reductive comment and Gaga's fanbase seemed to go into meltdown and then Terry R has defaced Madonna's tour poster. I don't think Gaga is naive and I bet she knows what her closest friends have said about Madonna, I sometimes think she lies back and lets others fire the bullets on her behalf while she preserves her 'anti bullying' reputation. It's all tit for tat anyway and has been blown out of all proportion
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point isn't in the actuality/outcomes of the lawsuits, it's in the accusations themselves. It's ironic that people give Gaga such a hard time for ripping things off, when Madonna herself faced more or less the same.

So, because you consider there to be an MJ reference there, she must be throwing shade at Madonna?

When someone is as famous as Madonna this is what happens. Are you aware she was threatend with being sued for calling one of her tracks Girl Gone Wild?

Its tragic that people would try to use that against Madonna in defence of Gaga! the Gaga things are completely different too as you have icons like Grace Jones and Bette Midler also accusing her of copying from them..