Options

Everyday sexism- can men recount their experience

Comments

• Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyday, not every day. ;)

Yes I think I took it a bit literally :)
  • Options
    BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Women on public transport somehow inherently believing that they are entitled to seat priority, looking at me like I've shat in their shoes if I happen to get to a vacant one before them...

I always offer my seat to any woman on the bus (age irrelevant ) ... The looks that I get from some women you would have thought if id asked why are they on the bus instead of on the kitchen cooking for their man

Not to mention one date where it was all going well till I offered to walk her to the bus stop .... All of of a sudden I was "the extract reason a patriarchy will always exist in this world if I think a woman can't walk to a bus stop on her own"

I'd just like to know when did being a gentleman turn into being a sexist
  • Options
    NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always offer my seat to any woman on the bus (age irrelevant ) ... The looks that I get from some women you would have thought if id asked why are they on the bus instead of on the kitchen cooking for their man

Not to mention one date where it was all going well till I offered to walk her to the bus stop .... All of of a sudden I was "the extract reason a patriarchy will always exist in this world if I think a woman can't walk to a bus stop on her own"

You simply cannot win in these situations. There are echelons of feminism that simply want to demonise men for being men.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member

You had a lucky escape there. There are genuine feminists, and there are women masquerading as feminists but who really are out solely to pick a fight with as many men as possible, convinced that they still live in an age where women are oppressed. The one you got seems like the latter.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    At the swimming baths about two years ago told I couldn't use the pool because it was a women only session. I had to wait the best part of an hour with my children. Could you imagine a men's hour?
    Tried to go to the cafe while we waited but that was closed for the hour too as it overlooked the pool.
    To top it off I was reading the community leaflets and posters on the notice board and came across a leaflet offering a £250 Grant to women (only) who were starting up a small business.
    Can you imagine the uproar if such a grant was only available to men?
  • Options
    NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the swimming baths about two years ago told I couldn't use the pool because it was a women only session. I had to wait the best part of an hour with my children. Could you imagine a men's hour?
    Leisure facilities regularly have 'women's only' sessions - some of which I don't really understand - why do gyms require a 'women's only' evening, for example?
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leisure facilities regularly have 'women's only' sessions - some of which I don't really understand - why do gyms require a 'women's only' evening, for example?

Could it be that some women want to be away at times from the eyes of incels and **** haters?
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a person interested in history (my degree was in it too) one thing that is interestingly sexist is that TV Films/Dramas/Documentaries, exhibitions about the Suffragette movement, airbrush a key point out: That many of the biggest, tireless, most influential supporters of the movement were men.

I know why this is, because they want to put forward the narrative that women rolled up their sleeves, and through a grass roots movement rumbled and overturned the (male dominated) order, and conceding that men within the institution played a pivotal role kills a good 'story' like that.

So many times you hear of Emily Pankhurst and Emily Davison....but George Lansbury? Keir Hardie? Erased from the memory of it.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be that some women want to be away at times from the eyes of incels and **** haters?

When do the whining Race For Life threads start? That's gotta be soon, hasn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Davonator wrote: »
    As a person interested in history (my degree was in it too) one thing that is interestingly sexist is that TV Films/Dramas/Documentaries, exhibitions about the Suffragette movement, airbrush a key point out: That many of the biggest, tireless, most influential supporters of the movement were men.

I know why this is, because they want to put forward the narrative that women rolled up their sleeves, and through a grass roots movement rumbled and overturned the (male dominated) order, and conceding that men within the institution played a pivotal role kills a good 'story' like that.

So many times you hear of Emily Pankhurst and Emily Davison....but George Lansbury? Keir Hardie? Erased from the memory of it.

I was surprised to find out last year that at that time the large majority of men never had the vote either. The policeman arresting pankhurst in the famous photo was very unlikely to have the vote too, something you never hear mentioned.
    I asked a friend of mine with a degree in gender studies what % of men had the vote at that time. She didn't know. Do you Davonator? Not a trick question just an observation of what you said, how things get airbrushed by the media.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    When do the whining Race For Life threads start? That's gotta be soon, hasn't it?

Same old shaming language . Bitter and unneeded. Why the hate? As far as I can see people are just relating their experiences. Every day sexism project has thousands of contributions and you can't bare to see one thread on here showing how it is a two way street.
    Incels, really? I had to look that one up.:confused:
  • Options
    BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the blog everyday sexism does good work highlighting the gross amount of sexism women face everyday from a minority of men , however (and I'm not trolling ) are men able to recount their experiences of unwanted attention from women on their as it does happen (maybe not as frequently ) but it has happened to me and also people I know.

Why the obsession with trolling?

Why could this post be considered trolling?

EDIT: I am also not trolling, don't really understand the meaning of the word, i just see it absolutely everywhere now, and since joining here just 2 weeks ago been accused of it, plus socking.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    reglip wrote: »
    Dont you respect the decisions of women? Didnt you know that women are passionate about looking after their children themselves? Men will oblige them in most cases i think and will even swap roles if she wants but it will be mostly the womans decision
    Decisions aren't made in a social vacuum without a context.

Gender norms have changed incredibly over the last 50 years or so and will continue to do so. Women have gone out into the workforce in massive numbers and a while ago you'd have been claiming that couldn't happen, if you'd been asked 50 years ago.

Many people want to conform, rather than be seen as abnormal as well. Culture runs deep but it is culture, not an inevitable and unchangeable part of being a man or a woman, and can change relatively quickly.

I would like it so whatever a family decided about care-giving, due to their own circumstances, was not an issue, regardless of gender and that the pressure of what someone should do or be like due to societal enforcement of traditional gender roles diminishes. And that includes being in traditional roles, if that suits the individuals involved.

Sorry but this is incorrect. I used to work in the Family court (albeit years ago), and the primary concern was what was best for the child, not a competition between the parents to "win custody".

And in the majority (but not all) families, the woman is the primary caregiver. It is therefore important for stability that the child stays with the primary caregiver as less disruption is in their best intersets. I do know other men (at my kids school) who are the primary care giver, and their child would be staying in their routine with them for the majority of the time. I do know parents who share custody 50/50, because they both were able to give their child the same routine they'd had previously, with both parents giving up work hours and commitments to accommodate the child.
    Yes, exactly and reflects what people I know in family law say and what I've read through work about it. It's about maintaining, as far as possible, the status quo. I'm sure there is individual unfairness, which is awful for those concerned, but the meme about family justice is largely propaganda.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »

If it means I don't have to run long distances I view that as a positive.
  • Options
    thryberghthrybergh Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I've just noticed that the footer on the Digital Spy page has a link to something called "Hearst Empowering Women". I imagine that the admins would not dare to refuse to have something like this in the footer, even though it seems out of place to me.

I visited this webpage and quickly saw there was an article regurgitating the gender pay gap myths. Perhaps if campaigns like this were more truthful they might get more support from men?
  • Options
    VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perfect comment for this thread!

A post that is sexist towards men, because it is based on the premise all men are learing perverts and woman haters...
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »

That's really odd because of all the books/documentaries I've seen on the suffragettes, there was plenty of detail of the men involved.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christa wrote: »
    That's really odd because of all the books/documentaries I've seen on the suffragettes, there was plenty of detail of the men involved.
    Indeed, much was made in the last one I saw on it (shown quite recently), including the role of John Stuart Mill etc.
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was surprised to find out last year that at that time the large majority of men never had the vote either.

Seriously?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same old shaming language . Bitter and unneeded. Why the hate? As far as I can see people are just relating their experiences. Every day sexism project has thousands of contributions and you can't bare to see one thread on here showing how it is a two way street.
    Incels, really? I had to look that one up.:confused:

Perhaps check out the poster and their attitude to women. Not nice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VDUBster wrote: »
    Perfect comment for this thread!

A post that is sexist towards men, because it is based on the premise all men are learing perverts and woman haters...

Actually it's not based on that premise - that's surely clear.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member

Why not ask the establishments that have these events and find out?
  • Options
    thryberghthrybergh Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Not really your "everyday sexism", but the old women (in their 90s) do not have to face war crime charges whereas the old men (in their 90s) do:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3051101/The-female-SS-guards-revelled-Hitler-s-Holocaust-never-face-justice.html#comments
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe women only hour at the leisure centre exists because a lot of women feel pressure to be attractive to the opposite sex and are therefore very uncomfortable getting sweaty and ugly and showing off their wobbly bits in front of men.

Having said that, I think the pressure on men to be attractive has become just as great and a men only session for less confident males is a great idea. I'm sure theres lots of young males in particular who have body hang ups that prevent them from going swimming eg breast development, body hair worries and so on.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Perhaps check out the poster and their attitude to women. Not nice.

With men like him around, it's hardly surprising some women want a bit of time without men. I could easily feel the same way.

The only time I've experienced direct sexism was being told to leave the baby changing facility in Mothercare, Lewisham branch, back in 1993. I changed my son's crap filled nappy on the shop floor instead.