glowboyglowboy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Nah, he was funny and professional.

And I'm not a Gervais fan atall.
  • Options
    allie5allie5 Posts: 4,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant bear him, but from the montage I saw, he wasnt as odious as he usually is and I did titter once or twice. The tabloids have got their knickers in twist because he took the p!ss out of Mel Gibson's drink problem and Macca's divorce - neither of them were particularly bothered on the night but that wouldnt make a decent story would it? ;)
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the comments I saw late last night (as the awards ceremony was ongoing) seemed quite positive so some of the coverage today in the British press has been surprising. But he has always quite divisive, plus he took aim at some big names. He was never going to get universally good reviews, certainly not from the Daily Mail. But the ratings were good.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was brilliant. If the british press knock him then so what? most uk journo's are no talent ass clowns anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was hilarious. The joke about Angelina was extremely funny, as was the Mel Gibson and Paul McCartney jokes.
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't watch the GG but I was following the results on Twitter for a while and the majority of comments on there were positive about Gervais.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the show live. He was funny on the whole but there were clearly uncomfortable moments for the audience.
    I think it would have been a better routine at the BAFTAS where the Brit stars can take it. Personally I don't think he's right for an American awards show.
  • Options
    jaycee331jaycee331 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daily Mail were linking a YouTube video of all his bits chopped into a 9min 41s package. But in last half hour it's been pulled :(

Anyways, yes a couple of gags did seem to bomb. But the rest more than made up for it. Brilliant :)
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    Watch it last night and he is just not funny . And some of his stuff went over like a lead ballon.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm no fan of Gervais but I watched his opening monologue and found it quite funny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he was funny! :D
  • Options
    PPWWPPWW Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What did he say about angelina?

xxx
  • Options
    ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think he was funny at all.

It was like watching a bad best man give a very cringy wedding speech. You just wished he would sit down. His comments about jennifer Anniston and Gerry Butler didn't go down well, you could tell on their faces.
  • Options
    CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at twitter when it was on...

...I'd say 95%(if not more) of the comments were very, very positive. Most saying he was the only thing making it watchable.

Seems to be parts of the media simply wanting to have a go.
  • Options
    ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Callous wrote: »
    Looking at twitter when it was on...

...I'd say 95%(if not more) of the comments were very, very positive. Most saying he was the only thing making it watchable.

Seems to be parts of the media simply wanting to have a go.

Well I watched it live and posted on the thread in the TV forum and many there didn't find him funny.

He's a bit marmite.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was hilarious, no surprise if some American critics don't understand his style of humor. Sure some of it was a bit crude and simple but still had me in fits :D
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    PPWW wrote: »
    What did he say about angelina?

xxx

“Actors aren’t just loved here in Hollywood, they’re loved the world over, because they’re recognizable.”

“You can be in the Third World, and you get a glimpse of a Hollywood star, and it makes you feel better. You can be a little child, a little Asian child, with no possessions, no money - but you see a picture of Angelina Jolie and you think, ‘Mummy!’”

Throughout he was very funny and very p*ss taking which seemed to go over the heads of most of the audience. I am not too much of a fan of his but found myself wishing he had made more appearances between the awards.
  • Options
    PPWWPPWW Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    “Actors aren’t just loved here in Hollywood, they’re loved the world over, because they’re recognizable.”

“You can be in the Third World, and you get a glimpse of a Hollywood star, and it makes you feel better. You can be a little child, a little Asian child, with no possessions, no money - but you see a picture of Angelina Jolie and you think, ‘Mummy!’”

Throughout he was very funny and very p*ss taking which seemed to go over the heads of most of the audience. I am not too much of a fan of his but found myself wishing he had made more appearances between the awards.

LOL, thank-you.

He is funny & brave too!!

xxxxx
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just caught the highlights and thought he was excellent! His timing was spot on. He literally spent the evening ripping into the Hollywood elite. I loved Paul McCartney's reaction to the ex-wife joke, McCartney needs to lighten up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved him, and never watched the office or anything - he was the only thing holding the awards together with NBC's rude music playing.
  • Options
    Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just seen it on the news.

Well that crack about booze and Mel Gibson probably went down like Bobby Crush on an oil rig. ;)
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    I'm not a fan of Gervais, but I found his quips pretty funny.
  • Options
    gemmaovwales03gemmaovwales03 Posts: 7,183
    Forum Member
    I'm not fuss on him but he was good last night. It was a very boring show the very few highlights were his Angelina, Mel Gibson and Paul McCartney jokes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,336
    Forum Member
    I can take him or leave but I thought he was hilarious last night- still laughing about the Angelina Jolie joke now
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    I found it extremely amusing.