Storms over the weekend UK

occyoccy Posts: 64,627
Forum Member
✭✭
Apparently we are expecting a very stormy weekend across the UK. As the clocks go back- by Monday there will be Gale force winds.

Comments

• GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was hammering down here overnight, this morning, but now the suns out blazing again, lot nicer now, which is good, as going out soon :)

Houghton-le-Spring Nth East, around Washington/Sunderland.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard it will be the worst storm since the 1987 hurricane :eek:
  • NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I heard it will be the worst storm since the 1987 hurricane :eek:

Then I would advise you to stop reading the Daily Express.

The storm is for England at present and Wales with the Midlands picking up the main rainfall and the SW and S coast the high winds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Northerly wrote: »
    Then I would advise you to stop reading the Daily Express.

Erm, actually I heard it on the radio. Haven't looked at a copy of the express in years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm, actually I heard it on the radio. Haven't looked at a copy of the express in years.

Heard it from who and in what context?

You certainly did not hear it from the Met Office

Perhaps the dj is an express reader?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard it from who and in what context?

Perhaps the dj is an express reader?

They were just saying a big storm was reported to be on its way. I dunno I didn't pay that much attention to be honest. I tend to believe the weather forecasts when I see it happen as its often wrong
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were just saying a big storm was reported to be on its way. I dunno I didn't pay that much attention to be honest. I tend to believe the weather forecasts when I see it happen as its often wrong

You are incorrect as forecasts are most often accurate. Mind you if you are happy to repeat stuff you vaguely heard with no context or idea of source/accuracy its hardly surprising your views of forecasting are skewed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are incorrect as forecasts are most often accurate. Mind you if you are happy to repeat stuff you vaguely heard with no context or idea of source/accuracy its hardly surprising your views of forecasting are skewed.

Oh, get a life ffs. I wasn't expecting a grilling over some throwaway comment. It's not as important to me as it appears to be to you!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, get a life ffs. I wasn't expecting a grilling over some throwaway comment. It's not as important to me as it appears to be to you!!

Its the equivalent of saying "I hear that Man U are playing The Yankees this weekend" and then not expecting a football fan to say something to correct you. .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the equivalent of saying "I hear that Man U are playing The Yankees this weekend" and then not expecting a football fan to say something to correct you. .

So you're an avid fan and expert of the weather forecast are you? It sounds fascinating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you're an avid fan and expert of the weather forecast are you? It sounds fascinating.

As it affects everyone and everything we do it pays to treat it seriously. It can also kill you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, get a life ffs. I wasn't expecting a grilling over some throwaway comment.

Would it have killed you to say you weren't expecting the Spanish Inquisition? Missed opportunity, frankly.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this is what its going to be like before the storm then I gladly welcome the storm. girls put away your claws (even if you are not girls) and start battening down the hatches.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

...erm yes, anyone with a modicum of common sense can understand the fascination with the weather, the backdrop to our lives, whether you like it or not .

actually 'the storm' is predicted to form (it hasnt yet) and track across the centre of the country on sunday night into monday morning. the north of the low pressure will see lighter winds but more rain, the southern flank of the stormy low (and southwestern flank) will see the strongest winds/gales.

the exact path of this small but intense low is uncertain, and will be until 12 hours before it hits as its expected to form in a very turbulant airstream. thats why its exact track cannot be nailed.

tbh i think its pretty impressive that they can now predict something 3 days ahead that hasnt yet been born!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...erm yes, anyone with a modicum of common sense can understand the fascination with the weather, the backdrop to our lives, whether you like it or not .

actually 'the storm' is predicted to form (it hasnt yet) and track across the centre of the country on sunday night into monday morning. the north of the low pressure will see lighter winds but more rain, the southern flank of the stormy low (and southwestern flank) will see the strongest winds/gales.

the exact path of this small but intense low is uncertain, and will be until 12 hours before it hits as its expected to form in a very turbulant airstream. thats why its exact track cannot be nailed.

tbh i think its pretty impressive that they can now predict something 3 days ahead that hasnt yet been born!

Yes clearly we all take an interest in such things. I prefer watching documentaries on stuff like this over soaps or the x factor.

However, what I don't really expect is to get the third degree over some comment I made in jest.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Yes clearly we all take an interest in such things. I prefer watching documentaries on stuff like this over soaps or the x factor.

However, what I don't really expect is to get the third degree over some comment I made in jest.

I don't get all excited about the weather either. I hear the forecast on the news and don't take any more interest than that. Take no notice of the others.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Apparently we are expecting a very stormy weekend across the UK. As the clocks go back- by Monday there will be Gale force winds.

Quite right, in your (and my) part of the World it is likely to be very windy on Sunday and *could be* even windier on Monday morning, with rain or showers at times. Nasty in the south, rainy in the north (but the worst of the wind *could* miss the south coast entirely, or it could be a bit further north).

It's about 40% probability for a "worst storm for years" scenario in the south so keep your eyes and ears open, just in case. The Met Office have to issue warnings with that kind of probability but the more normal "Windy autumn day" scenario is also possible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope we do get a storm. Not sufficient to cause damage to property and so on. Just wild. Get those leaves off the trees! :cool:
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torrential rain in the NW right now, regretting leaving my washing out! :eek:
    At least I missed the worst of it when I was dog walking, it had started thundering but the rain only came down a few minutes after I got home!
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey - this thread is a little scary.

It was mentioned on the local Suffolk radio this morning to beware. But, I thought there was still a little uncertainty, and that it could indeed move to France instead ?
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been an almighty crack of thunder right over my head, scared the crap out of me.

It's typical because i had just decided on the number of underpants i need to own and now i have to go and buy another pair.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not? The Met Office issued an amber warning about it yesterday and widened the scope of it today to cover most of the UK to the south of Birmngham.

True that they didn't actually compare it with '87 but talking about 80MPH gusts puts it more or less on a par with it.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen DIxon from Sky News just re-tweeted about the storms (originally from a meteorologist called Tomasz Schafenaker)

"Folks across S UK. The potential storm Sunday night is no joke. Serious and life threatening. Prepare to alter plans for Monday"
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Stephen DIxon from Sky News just re-tweeted about the storms (originally from a meteorologist called Tomasz Schafenaker)

"Folks across S UK. The potential storm Sunday night is no joke. Serious and life threatening. Prepare to alter plans for Monday"

Oh my, talk about making people panic. :eek:
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    Just been an almighty crack of thunder right over my head, scared the crap out of me.

It's typical because i had just decided on the number of underpants i need to own and now i have to go and buy another pair.

:D:D

It's Ark weather here, can't even see out the windows, and we just got the overhead lightning too. Birds scattering all over the shop, with the thunder!