New Pink Floyd

rokaroka Posts: 218
Forum Member
http://www.mixcloud.com/azaiez/pink-floyd-louder-than-words-the-endless-river-bbc-2-world-premiere-09102014/

Awesome, gorgeous song with as you'd expect exquisite guitar work from Mr Gilmour.

Comments

• aussiewantsaps2aussiewantsaps2 Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claiming its the last album, until the next!!
  • rokaroka Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    I'm all for that, just hope it doesn't take them another 20 years
  • MacLovinMacLovin Posts: 2,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic track:)

Can't wait for the album to be released. Just hope they tour it even if it's only a limited number of dates.

They're too important a band to just fade away.
  • PilotofthestormPilotofthestorm Posts: 3,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MacLovin wrote: »

Can't wait for the album to be released. Just hope they tour it even if it's only a limited number of dates.

Couldn't agree more mate. Really looking forward to this. Rumours of a Date with Glastonbury may not be far of the mark.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't agree more mate. Really looking forward to this. Rumours of a Date with Glastonbury may not be far of the mark.

I hope so...I would sell my testicles to see them one more time
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great song, any news on when the album will be released?
  • Artemis1Artemis1 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beautiful song ,
    I have it on pre order and website says middle of November for delivery.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MacLovin wrote: »

I don't see a tour myself as without Richard Wright. David Gilmour dosent feel the sound is there anymore. We must not forget that these new tracks are actually 20 years old and have been polished up to make the new album. Richard Wright is playing on all of them.
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very disappointing.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Really, I expected better from the surviving members. Scraping the barrel to make this album does no one any favours. Much better to persuade Waters back into the fold, or possibly even do something with Kate Bush.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really, I expected better from the surviving members. Scraping the barrel to make this album does no one any favours. Much better to persuade Waters back into the fold, or possibly even do something with Kate Bush.

David Gilmore has said they are releasing it as a tribute to Richard Wright. given the quality of their work over the years I doubt very much they would be "scraping the barrel" as they probably have loads of archive material that was never released.

What's better, to record 15 songs and release 10 on a single album or release the 15 plus five "fillers" to create a double album? It doesn't mean to say the five left off the original album are poor it is that they simply didn't fit, more often than not because of time constraints.

Take Deep Purple's When a Blind Man Cries for example. It was recorded during the sessions for Machine Head but not included on the final album release and yet since it has come to light it is very often requested on the likes of Planet Rock and has become a favourite with the fans. Is that "scraping the barrel"?
    Forum Member

Waters effed off 30 years ago ffs, he's not coming back and to be brutally honest he's not needed either. PF's last 2 albums without Roger are better than their last 2 with him imo.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Gilmore has said they are releasing it as a tribute to Richard Wright. given the quality of their work over the years I doubt very much they would be "scraping the barrel" as they probably have loads of archive material that was never released.

What's better, to record 15 songs and release 10 on a single album or release the 15 plus five "fillers" to create a double album? It doesn't mean to say the five left off the original album are poor it is that they simply didn't fit, more often than not because of time constraints.

Take Deep Purple's When a Blind Man Cries for example. It was recorded during the sessions for Machine Head but not included on the final album release and yet since it has come to light it is very often requested on the likes of Planet Rock and has become a favourite with the fans. Is that "scraping the barrel"?

It was released as a B side to a single back in 1972. It was kept off the album because Ritchie Blackmore hated it.
  • denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roka wrote: »
    Waters effed off 30 years ago ffs, he's not coming back and to be brutally honest he's not needed either. PF's last 2 albums without Roger are better than their last 2 with him imo.

So youre saying - A Momentary Lapse of Reason & The Division Bell are better than The wall and The final cut ? ?

I think you will struggle to find many people who agree with that . i like gilmour but he is no Roger waters in terms of writing lyrics Roger is a far far better writer .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roger Waters, for all I admire him is long past his creative best. They're all getting old and I doubt any of us at their age will be performing as we did in our 20's & 30's.

I'm just happy to have some fresh Pink Floyd material.
    Forum Member
    So youre saying - A Momentary Lapse of Reason & The Division Bell are better than The wall and The final cut ? ?

I think you will struggle to find many people who agree with that . i like gilmour but he is no Roger waters in terms of writing lyrics Roger is a far far better writer .

Yes matey for me they are, I certainly play them far more often.
    Don't misunderstand me though, those 2 are still great albums if a little miserable lol.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love The Division Bell, think it's under rated.

Looking forward to The Endless River; I'm not sure I see the point of comparing it to the 70's stuff. It will be what it will be.
  • ToenToen Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Final cut is accepted as a poor album. It was mainly down to Roger Waters. I like Roger Waters but this final album was not very good. He has just had an excellent tour with the wall (again), brilliant album. The division bell is another great floyd album. I bought the 20th anniversary box set. Lets face it fans like me will buy any "new" stuff by Floyd. I saw them live in 1969 and I rate them best British band ever.
  • denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toen wrote: »
    The Final cut is accepted as a poor album. It was mainly down to Roger Waters. I like Roger Waters but this final album was not very good. He has just had an excellent tour with the wall (again), brilliant album. The division bell is another great floyd album. I bought the 20th anniversary box set. Lets face it fans like me will buy any "new" stuff by Floyd. I saw them live in 1969 and I rate them best British band ever.

By who ?

For me its one of the best , the whole story of it is brilliant.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toen wrote: »

The Final Cut is a great album, and highly rated by many once they've given it a proper hearing, which it needs.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was a mistake not to include When A blind Man Cries though, and it was Mr Blackmore who made the decision. Gillan wanted it including, but in those days, space was limited. It was released as the B side to Never Before though.

As for this album, I've already pre ordered it. It's not going to be a classic Floyd album, as it is mainly instrumental, but the bits I've heard sound good.

It is a tribute to Rick Wright, rather than an attempt to launch Pink Floyd again. Gilmour has said that this is it for them after this, and there is nothing else. We'll see.

The post Waters Floyd is very different to the Floyd with him, and the two eras are difficult to compare, as is the Syd era.

I like them all, but the Waters era is the stand out time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a mistake not to include When A blind Man Cries though, and it was Mr Blackmore who made the decision. Gillan wanted it including, but in those days, space was limited. It was released as the B side to Never Before though.

That was the point I was, ham-fistedly, trying to make, in the past tracks were left off for time constraint reasons so to publish them now very often isn't "scraping the bottom of the barrel" :)
    As for this album, I've already pre ordered it. It's not going to be a classic Floyd album, as it is mainly instrumental, but the bits I've heard sound good.

It is a tribute to Rick Wright, rather than an attempt to launch Pink Floyd again. Gilmour has said that this is it for them after this, and there is nothing else. We'll see.

The post Waters Floyd is very different to the Floyd with him, and the two eras are difficult to compare, as is the Syd era.

I like them all, but the Waters era is the stand out time.

In a recent interview Gilmore said Rick wasn't given the recognition he deserved by the media. However he then went on to say that, at times, was also true of Rick's fellow band members!

In this month's Prog magazine Jerry Ewing, the editor, describes The Endless River as "The wonderful, moving culmination of this all-time great rock band's career", so that seems a very positive endorsement!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I'm another one that thinks that this was a bit of a missed opportunity in as much as they maybe should have buried the hatchet and got Waters back on board for this album. That said, Gilmour probably thought that it wasn't worth the hassle.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was the point I was, ham-fistedly, trying to make, in the past tracks were left off for time constraint reasons so to publish them now very often isn't "scraping the bottom of the barrel" :)

In a recent interview Gilmore said Rick wasn't given the recognition he deserved by the media. However he then went on to say that, at times, was also true of Rick's fellow band members!

Wasn't he sacked for a time then rehired on salary?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Wasn't he sacked for a time then rehired on salary?

Yes, during the recording, and subsequent tour of The Wall. Ironically, though, because the massive cost of touring The Wall'' which lead to a huge financial loss for the remaining three members of Pink Floyd, Rick as an "employee" actually got paid so didn't lose out!