Itv Studios in London

Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
Forum Member
✭✭
Might be slightly off topic, apologise in advance.

I'm currently spending the weekend in London for the first time in 25 / 30 odd years.

Took a river cruise today.

Now last time, all those years ago, I took a similar cruise and amongst other things, the Lwt building as was, was name checked.

Took the cruise today, The National Theatre was name checked, but Itv Studios wasn't.

Is there any reason why the Itv building wouldn't be name checked on a tour?

Went on a bus tour earlier and we went past Channel Four and that was name checked.

A tour also goes past Broadcasting House but I didn't go on that one but walked up to BH myself.

Is BH name checked too?

Just seems strange an iconic building like Lwt/Itv is no longer mentioned to tourists unless it was a one off?

Comments

• mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    American tourists probably do not know what ITV is. They may think it has something to do with Apple.
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    American tourists probably do not know what ITV is. They may think it has something to do with Apple.
    They're even less likely to know what Channel 4 is.
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    They're even less likely to know what Channel 4 is.

But perhaps that's more obvois to the tour guides due to the massive Channel 4 logo.
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Of course not, it's probably due to people running the tour not realising or thinking it wouldn't be that interesting.
    Just seems strange an iconic building like Lwt/Itv is no longer mentioned to tourists unless it was a one off?
    It's not really that iconic, i'm sure if I showed my parents, my friends etc the building they'd have no idea what it said.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be slightly off topic, apologise in advance.

I'm currently spending the weekend in London for the first time in 25 / 30 odd years.

Took a river cruise today.

Now last time, all those years ago, I took a similar cruise and amongst other things, the Lwt building as was, was name checked.

Took the cruise today, The National Theatre was name checked, but Itv Studios wasn't.

Went on a bus tour earlier and we went past Channel Four and that was name checked.

A tour also goes past Broadcasting House but I didn't go on that one but walked up to BH myself.

Is BH name checked too?

The broadcasting act 1990 has alot to answer for. For the record it was the conservatives through their bitchiness over a programme that was shown on the network who destroyed itv. LWT was a quality broadcaster broadcasting quality programming from the south bank television centre
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can think of two reasons

One being if you are doing a trip down the thames past ITV, there are far more tourist hotspots around that a commentary is likely to be commenting on. If you are on a bus tour past Channel 4, there isn't much else to announce.

Secondly Channel 4's building is quite impressive from the front, more impressive than ITV's building from the back.

Of course don't let any of this get in the way of a conspiracy theory.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only iconic TV studio building in London is BBC TV Centre but it's a bit difficult to get to it on a boat on the Thames.The BBC returns there next year and has taken out a 15-year lease on part of the building. Three of the studios are currently being refurbished.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did they namecheck bush house ? or the IET building savoy place ?
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    The broadcasting act 1990 has alot to answer for. For the record it was the conservatives through their bitchiness over a programme that was shown on the network who destroyed itv. LWT was a quality broadcaster broadcasting quality programming from the south bank television centre

LWT was the poor man's Thames. It did a few good shows, but produced some real drivel that the BBC used to hammer in the ratings on Saturday nights. There was a joke at Thames that said LWT used to mean Let's Watch Thames.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is ITV studios where Daybreak comes from.

What's Daybreak

And that's a tourist from the UK asking the question :D
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The only iconic TV studio building in London is BBC TV Centre but it's a bit difficult to get to it on a boat on the Thames.

Umm, global warming should be able to sort that one out.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, one more question then.

I'm back home now but when me and my sister were walking round London, we spotted a yellow sports car.

When we got to Whitehall, we saw said yellow sports car being filmed several times by a crew.

Does anyone know to any filming in Central London this weekend?

I assume it's an action movie of some description.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, one more question then.

I'm back home now but when me and my sister were walking round London, we spotted a yellow sports car.

When we got to Whitehall, we saw said yellow sports car being filmed several times by a crew.

Does anyone know to any filming in Central London this weekend?

I assume it's an action movie of some description.

The new series of 24 is being filmed at the moment, but there are probably at least half a dozen other dramas or movies being filmed in London too.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ta for the answers.

One final aside.

The hotel we stopped at apparently had complaints about the coaches using it from the local residents.

One of the local residents was apparently David Mellor!

Glad to see a Tory is ******* off.

Makes a change from them ******* us public off!

(And I do know Mellor is no longer an Mp before anyone says! )