My theory on who Missy is

Comments

• AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Some of the Missy theories I quite like...

CYBERMEN CONVERSION INTERFACE
    Given the heavily publicised involvement of the Cybermen later on, it seems entirely possible that this is something to do with them. We saw in Series 7 that the new Cybermen have extraordinary capabilities of upgrading and adapting to obstacles in their path to overcome them. What if they've gone a step further and tried to make the process of upgrading for their victims genuinely appealing? Missy, the Nethersphere and so on...it's all just an interface to disguise the disturbing conversions going on that are building a Cyber army. Of course this idea leaves some questions... how are the near-dead/dead arriving at the Nethersphere? Is it their souls, or their physical bodies, is there some kind of teleportation involved? More to the point if all of this is a plan engineered by the Cybermen then why did they pick Missy's face as the one to lead it all in particular when the whole point of the Cybermen is to be uniform? With that in mind it seems all the more likely that the Cybermen are simply players in a grander scheme, rather than those behind the scheme itself.

GOD
    A bit of an 'out-there' suggestion, but what if they were going for the same sort of angle that The Satan Pit went for in Series 2, where The Beast was truth behind the myths and legends. What if the concept of God and the pearly gates of heaven is whatever Missy and The Nethersphere happens to be? That of course doesn't explain quite who or what they are, but then Moffat has always been a fan of the ambiguous and would probably string us along without further explanation. It'd be a bold story choice for the show, and why it crops up now in particular seems a bit random, and why God would choose to dress as Mary Poppins/Michelle Gomez is a bit peculiar, but all bets are off I guess.

MISSY IS THE DOCTOR
    Another long-shot suggestion, although most of them probably are, but what is Missy is an alternate incarnation of the Doctor? It's already been suggested that her Nethersphere vaguely resembles a TARDIS, with that fountain garden in Deep Breath being a brilliant supplement for a console room. Perhaps it's like an alter-ego or second personality that keeps shifting between The Doctor and Missy, where only one of them is aware of this circumstance. For anyone who knows, it's a little bit like the Buffy story arc involving the god Glory/Glorificus and Ben. Of course the biggest question this what is the motive behind all of this? Could it tie into the new regeneration cycle and a potential something else the Timelords sent the Doctors way?

THE NEVERWERE'S
    An interesting idea floating about and perhaps my personal favourite harks back to a reference from The End of Time, in which The Doctor speaks ominously of The Could've Been King with his army of Meanwhiles and Neverwere's.
    The idea behind this is that Neverwere's are in fact incarnations of Time Lords that could have been, but ultimately never were. They exist within Meanwhiles which are alternate universes based upon the original. They're echoes of reality, basically.
    What if Missy was a Neverwere, and her Nethersphere was in fact a Meanwhile that she had engineered to become like heaven in some way? There's still plenty of questions it raises. How has she managed to gain the power she has, how has she managed to force herself into this reality, and most importantly who is she a Meanwhile of? Could she be one of the regenerations of River/Melody that never happened as a result of her sacrificing her regenerations, hence the boyfriend references earlier in the series? On the one hand it's an awesome idea, but on the other I'd love a brand new villain rather than one tied into the continuity of the past.

THE MASTER
    Okay, there's enough tension of a certain variety already to suggest that this one is entirely possible. Then there's the whole Missy - Mistress - Master tie-in that seems to fit the bill as well. Perhaps what sells the idea to me most of all though is the notion of an on-screen changed-gender Time Lord. There was the usual talk of a female Doctor being a possibility prior to Capaldi's casting (and to a lesser extent before Smith was announced as well) and although most were happy with the casting, there were those who expressed disappointment despite the majority of people involved being open to a female Time Lord if the right opportunity arose. Perhaps testing out the idea of a changed gender Time Lord would fit The Master so that they can see the response, and so could see how people may perceive a female Doctor in the future. This theory is a bit more logistical and would suggest a behind-the-scenes motive rather than an actual attempt at crafting a good story, but as with any theory all is possible. The Master's return could easily be rattled off as part of the Doctor getting his new regeneration cycle as well, so it'd all fit. And although unexplained, you can assume the events of the Nethersphere and the motives behind them will have some appropriately maniacal reasoning behind them if it were The Master.

THE VALEYARD/FUTURE DOCTOR/THE RANI/THE FNARGLORD
    Another idea floating about, though again it leaves the mystery of how Missy came across the power and the influence that she seems to have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    New theory: Missy is some kind of space/time police or trying to locate or track down the doctor but is constantly a couple steps behind....but the posting of photos of him on tumblr will become more relevant as this time she hasnt had to enlist the help of someone who is already dead and 'unsaved'
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's SOMEONE with a TARDIS
    didn't you remember that first shot of it, as a garden with the WATER STATUE in the middle of it???

also she cray
  • LurgidBeeLurgidBee Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Some of the Missy theories I quite like...

CYBERMEN CONVERSION INTERFACE

I personally am still leaning towards Missy being the sonic screwdriver software gone bonkers but entertaining the cyberman interface idea for a second...

could missy be the new cyberplanner? she does seem to be presented in costume and eccentricity as some counterpart to the doctor. could she be evolved from some remnant of matt smith's cyberplanner from nightmare in silver. (been off the forum for months, so I'm assuming this one has already done the rounds.)
  • hajuahajua Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    The writers don't believe the viewers have any long term memory, so Missy will be a character introduced 1 or 2 episodes before the finale. Mummy on the Orient Express is 2 episodes away. I suggest that Maisy could be Missy. 1) The names sound alike. 2) The Doctor has some of her memories and feelings - this might psychicly link the Doctor and Maisy. 3) Her job was keeping Granny alive using life extension technology.
    So now she keeps alive all the people around the Doctor. She probably can read the Doctor's mind through the psychic link and use more advanced Gallifreyan tech to keep people alive after they would otherwise have died.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    I wrote my ideas in another thread cos I was looking at more than just Missy but the basics of my idea as far as she's concerned is that she's Mister Clever - he never fully vacated the Doctor's mind.
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the whole heaven theme can be somehow connected to the fact that the Doc has cheated death in getting a new set of regerations..?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    She has to be "Aunt Sally" and the finally will feature the "Worzel Borg", yeah.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    She has to be "Aunt Sally" and the finally will feature the "Worzel Borg", yeah.

On that does anyone think that Worzel Gummidge looked a bit like the 3rd Doctor it may just be me but I always did think they slightly resembled each other ;-):D:p
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missy is the Rani.
  • prof_traversprof_travers Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    Since she "did choose well" with Clara, then presumably Missy is the "Woman in the shop" who gave Clara the Doctor's phone number (or did everyone know that already?)
  • LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since she "did choose well" with Clara, then presumably she is the "Woman in the shop" who gave Clara the Doctor's phone number (or did everyone know that already?)

Oh yeah. Of course it's this! I was all pondering but I think you've got it right there.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    allen_who wrote: »
    I wonder if the whole heaven theme can be somehow connected to the fact that the Doc has cheated death in getting a new set of regerations..?

After Flatline I think just the opposite it seems Clara was always part of her bigger plan and her plan is going well so if anything she already knew he would get a new set of regenerations
  • Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the meddling monk
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, there certainly is something going on. We'll be finding out why the TARDIS never got on with her at the beginning :)

Looks like the Doctor has clicked that something is up as well ......
  • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After Flatline I think just the opposite it seems Clara was always part of her bigger plan and her plan is going well so if anything she already knew he would get a new set of regenerations

Well it begs the question, so far Clara has saved the Doctor throughout all his lives (but for the War Doctor), spoke to the Timelords to grant the Doctor the new cycle and can't leave him no matter how hard she tries. It would appear, for whatever reason Missy wants the Doctor alive and Clara has been the key to this.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    That little scene at the end has me seriously itching to see what she is - very interesting.
  • David_H_93David_H_93 Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Here's my theory she's a character called Missy who was created by Steven Moffat in 2013 while he was writing some of the scripts
  • BlackTarantulaBlackTarantula Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    vampirek wrote: »
    Well it begs the question, so far Clara has saved the Doctor throughout all his lives (but for the War Doctor), spoke to the Timelords to grant the Doctor the new cycle and can't leave him no matter how hard she tries. It would appear, for whatever reason Missy wants the Doctor alive and Clara has been the key to this.

My only problem with this 'Missy has brought Clara and the Doctor together' theory that's floating around is that it's too similar to what happened with Donna in series 4. It felt like a little bit of a cheat to me that Donna and the Doctor were only reunited because of Dalek Caan. And now if the same thing is happening with Missy and Clara, then doesn't that sort of undermine Clara's efforts as the Impossible Girl in series 7 when she saved various versions of the Doctor? Because now it may transpire that that was only able to happen because of Missy?
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Missy might be a part of The Tardis that has evolved by itself because The Doctor left part of The Tardis somewhere. The Doctor travels through time and even Clara found The Tardis laying in a tunnel in the most recent episode, what if there were a few Tardises along that tunnel, which is the real Tardis and would Clara work that out simplly by seeing The Doctor, he said "see me". So Clara may need to look in his eyes to see if he is a good man.:confused:
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm - Conjecture:

The best way to defeat your enemy is to learn about your enemy.

So, how best to learn about your enemy, if your enemy is the Doctor?

Answer - plant a stooge to become a companion who he trusts and becomes close to. Get that companion to be so close to the Doctor that she learns how the doctor works for you (without realising it). When she finally gets it, watch the whole thing of Clara being the Doctor, acting just like the Doctor on your IPad (lol) and congratulate yourself on choosing such a good stooge when your plan comes together .......

If such a theory were true then Clara has been "under the influence" of Missy ever since the shop incident but just never knew ......

All speculation naturally
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Jon_Jones wrote: »
    So, if you woke up in a strange place and a man behind a desk told you that it was the afterlife, you'd just take his word for it?

Note to self: potentially the best April Fools joke ever... :p

"it's not so much an afterlife, more a sort of apres-vie ..." :D

Sorry - couldn't resist it!
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    Hmmm - Conjecture:

The best way to defeat your enemy is to learn about your enemy.

So, how best to learn about your enemy, if your enemy is the Doctor?

Answer - plant a stooge to become a companion who he trusts and becomes close to. Get that companion to be so close to the Doctor that she learns how the doctor works for you (without realising it). When she finally gets it, watch the whole thing of Clara being the Doctor, acting just like the Doctor on your IPad (lol) and congratulate yourself on choosing such a good stooge when your plan comes together .......

If such a theory were true then Clara has been "under the influence" of Missy ever since the shop incident but just never knew ......

All speculation naturally

I think you've nailed it.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote:
    Hmmm - Conjecture

Interesting:D
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd mark out so much if the episode 11 cliffhanger is 'I am The Master and you will obey me'. :D