Options

HIGNFY series 46

tom_domutoatom_domutoa Posts: 425
Forum Member
Episode 1. Cathy Newman newsreader from C4. Hmmmmmm.... nice.......but not so sure if i would...but its friday night...so i wont be picky

so hey lets discuss other things that happened in this episode.....

Cathy...hmmm nice......gangnam style...

Comments

• Options
    lankyguy007lankyguy007 Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Someone should have pulled up Danny Baker promoting benefit fraud.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was a really good one. David Mitchell was really good in the chair, Merton seemed on form and Hislop not annoying.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I'm sure fraud will be up after his comments. He is such a role model and influencer of the criminal underclass.
  • Options
    lankyguy007lankyguy007 Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Yes, I'm sure fraud will be up after his comments. He is such a role model and influencer of the criminal underclass.

Yes because that's definitely the point I was making.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,552
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed last nights show. It seemed to have got it's spark back.

And love Danny Baker.
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was good last night. Enjoyed it.

Ken
  • Options
    RutakatekiRutakateki Posts: 2,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also enjoyed it. Seemed like a really good atmosphere on set. Will definitely watch the extended edition.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I enjoyed it too. Obviously the usual suspects complaining about left-wing bias, but TBH a news quiz was always going to feature the Mail/Milliband furore high.

I'm not a massive fan of Mitchell, but I thought he did alright.

"no direction" was probably the best joke, ignore by the "it's all left-wing bias" mob obviously.
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »

And love Danny Baker.

Oh well. I guess one person's meat is another person's poison. I'd put the talentless irritant in the same category as J Clarkson, unwatchable.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    Oh well. I guess one person's meat is another person's poison.

Oh dear - have even well known common sayings got to be PC-ised now?
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »

Come one, you just know if the poster had used the term 'man', he would have been crucified by the PC brigade. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I thought it was a great ep - it's the only real political satire show left these days and has not been bettered in all these years, thanks to the heroic efforts of Hislop and Merton.

David Mitchell is the ideal host for this too imo. :cool:
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Modified to include BR (note gender).
  • Options
    burnesideburneside Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It says a lot about Danny Baker that he thinks it is perfectly acceptable to sign-on for unemployment benefit and then go off to earn money on the side.
  • Options
    RutakatekiRutakateki Posts: 2,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, that's the long and the vertically challenged of it.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Modified to include BR (note gender).

:confused: What does British Rail have to do with anything? What have you modified, by the way?
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great episode. One of the best in ages. Good guests, great host and a very amiable atmosphere. Flew by.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Best bits; the Gove and Daily Mail refrerences...but then I'm a BBC-liking lefty tw*t. :p
  • Options
    rolergirlrolergirl Posts: 5,205
    Forum Member
    im sure Paul merton was flirting with that woman a few times
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great episode. One of the best in ages. Good guests, great host and a very amiable atmosphere. Flew by.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Best bits; the Gove and Daily Mail refrerences...but then I'm a BBC-liking lefty tw*t. :p
    Yay! There are loads of us out there! Think Hislop managed to discredit the vile Rothemeres so that leaves Paul Dacre to the rest of us. Doubt it will take too much research to discover his or the scum he's bred deviant behaviour ;)
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suesuesue wrote: »
    Yay! There are loads of us out there! Think Hislop managed to discredit the vile Rothemeres so that leaves Paul Dacre to the rest of us. Doubt it will take too much research to discover his or the scum he's bred deviant behaviour ;)

Other newspaper owners and editors might worry about receiving similar treatment, I am sure there are many things they might like to keep quiet.

Don't forget that the most corrupt newspaper owner in living memory was very firmly linked to the Left, I think there are still a few in the higher echelons of the Labour with links.

Apparently despite all the fuss from the Left not a single advertiser has withdrawn from advertising in the Daily Mail.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Daily Mail left itself open due its horrendously bad judgement on the Miliband affair which has provided a boon for Ed. I think the comment about the Mail shooting itself in the foot an apt one.

The Danny Baker comment shows the importance of applying intelligent, critical thought to comments. He was pointing out the scams that used to happen and I don't remember him condoning it. In fact he was saying that there were painters and decorators coming in on their overalls and signing on. The problem was with the system.

The most telling point was how the C4 woman celebrated winning. Did you see Hislop's slightly funny look to Merton about it?

A decent return helped by the gift of the Mail's blundering.
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,082
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    The Daily Mail left itself open due its horrendously bad judgement on the Miliband affair which has provided a boon for Ed. I think the comment about the Mail shooting itself in the foot an apt one.

The Danny Baker comment shows the importance of applying intelligent, critical thought to comments. He was pointing out the scams that used to happen and I don't remember him condoning it. In fact he was saying that there were painters and decorators coming in on their overalls and signing on. The problem was with the system.

The most telling point was how the C4 woman celebrated winning. Did you see Hislop's slightly funny look to Merton about it?

A decent return helped by the gift of the Mail's blundering.

It was Paul who said about the blokes in their overalls coming in to sign on, this was when he worked at the employment office :D
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was a really good one. David Mitchell was really good in the chair, Merton seemed on form and Hislop not annoying.
    Hislop 'not annoying'? :confused:

Not quite sure what you mean by 'annoying' but imo that's often when he's at his best! An irritable old sod competing with Merton for the best jibes etc. I've always found Hislop's satirical outlook matches my own.

Hmmmm......maybe i'm an 'irritable old sod' too? :D

Good to see it back though and can't believe it was over twenty years ago when i first saw it. :eek:
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Hislop 'not annoying'? :confused:

Not quite sure what you mean by 'annoying' but imo that's often when he's at his best! An irritable old sod competing with Merton for the best jibes etc. I've always found Hislop's satirical outlook matches my own.

Hmmmm......maybe i'm an 'irritable old sod' too? :D

Good to see it back though and can't believe it was over twenty years ago when i first saw it. :eek:

Hislop becomes annoying IMO when he starts putting forward his own political view seriously rather than treating the show as satire. Probably might not annoy if our political views were at all similar, but there you go.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well. I guess one person's meat is another person's poison. I'd put the talentless irritant in the same category as J Clarkson, unwatchable.

Talentless? Danny Baker may not always come across well on TV but he is one of the most talented radio broadcasters of the last 30 years.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    The most telling point was how the C4 woman celebrated winning.

Forget that! What was with her doing the Gangnam Style on Ch4 News?! I was cringing with embarassment, it was SO bad i couldn't even laugh at it!