HayleyXDHayleyXD Posts: 1,221
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It just goes to show the media have a secret anit-semite agenda

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    quite a few actors and actresses are jewish but jewish families never cast cast unsure why
  • Options
    royllsroyceroyllsroyce Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janine tried to marry a jew but he died in 2 episodes and the family didn't last the week
  • Options
    SMIDSYmk2SMIDSYmk2 Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Vanessa and Jodie Gold were both Jewish (I presume anyway from Jodies lines)
  • Options
    Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,194
    Forum Member
    All we'd get is a stereotypical storyline of circumsision!
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    As Poppy was Jodie's friend, could she be Jewish too?

Also, a long, long time ago there was Dr Legg and his son David, and I seem to recall another character - an older man?
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's weird when you think about it. We don't have a large Jewish community in Scotland, but you would think Eastenders could have more - they don't need to make a big deal of it, just refer to it from time to time. Does the East End still have a large Jewish community, or has everyone moved to the 'burbs? I always assumed that the Golds were Jewish, but that was purely based on an assumption that Gold is a Jewish name.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rob1985 wrote: »
    All we'd get is a stereotypical storyline of circumsision!

Those episodes with Darren going through the circumcision were just plain daft :rolleyes:
  • Options
    IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    As Poppy was Jodie's friend, could she be Jewish too?

Also, a long, long time ago there was Dr Legg and his son David, and I seem to recall another character - an older man?

Think she once mentioned her brother bar mitzvah?

Jodie was Jewish because i still remember laughing when Darren pulled his pants down and she ran away because he wasn't circumcised.

Dr Legg was Jewish
  • Options
    HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eastenders - Dr. Legg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's weird when you think about it. We don't have a large Jewish community in Scotland, but you would think Eastenders could have more - they don't need to make a big deal of it, just refer to it from time to time. Does the East End still have a large Jewish community, or has everyone moved to the 'burbs? I always assumed that the Golds were Jewish, but that was purely based on an assumption that Gold is a Jewish name.

Yes, the Golds were Jewish. That is why we had the cringeworthy story when Jodie wouldn't have sex with Darren because he 'wasn't Jewish enough...'
  • Options
    HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither inner city manchester or rural yorkshire have jewish communities & soaps try to reflect the real world communities they represent. Probably simple as that.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EastEnders- No Jewish characters, no gay characters, no lesbian characters, no Eastern European characters- This is the East End of 2013 is it?

well I live in the East End and there are Jews, Gays, Lesbian, Eastern Europeans everywhere.

EE is not portraying the real East End
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They probably don't bother with Jewish characters because culturally they are pretty well integrated so they wouldn't really be as interesting as other faith families, such as the Masoods in Eastenders.
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    Yes, the Golds were Jewish. That is why we had the cringeworthy story when Jodie wouldn't have sex with Darren because he 'wasn't Jewish enough...'

:rolleyes: nothing like a stereotype eh? I can't remember that one, but then I haven't watched regularly for a few years.
  • Options
    IzzyInTheHouseIzzyInTheHouse Posts: 4,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    EastEnders- No Jewish characters, no gay characters, no lesbian characters, no Eastern European characters- This is the East End of 2013 is it?

well I live in the East End and there are Jews, Gays, Lesbian, Eastern Europeans everywhere.

EE is not portraying the real East End

Why not add in someone Polish, Chinese, Japanese and Italian as well! EE isn't there to portray people from every single walk of life, it would get ridiculous. I would rather someone came in with a good SL planned, that doesn't focus solely on their faith or sexuality. I don't care what they believe/how they look, I want an interesting character.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. It's only one street, not the entire East End. They already have Asian and Black families. I'm sure some White British people still live in East London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. It's only one street, not the entire East End. They already have Asian and Black families. I'm sure some White British people still live in East London.

I'm one of them ;)
  • Options
    jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am jewish and most of the jewish population moved out of the east end of london in the 1960s and now all live in North/North West London. Around where the eastenders set is in Elstree is where you will find most( Hampstead/Radlett/Edgware) ends.

Liverpool have a really small jewish community so ive heard from a couple of jewish friends I have from there.

I would like a jewish family similar to how the massoods have their big dinners and show their customs it would be nice if a jewish family could do the same. The Friday night dinner on channel 4 is awful and i know it needs a storyline but its so unrealistic
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm one of them ;)

Aha, so you aren't the myth the media makes you out to be! :D
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chryed have only been gone two months so I cut LN a bit of slack but if there are no LGBT characters by the end of year then LN is living in a fantasy world if she thinks there are no LGBT people in the East End.

Another example is a Doctor, why is there no regular doctor on the Square? this is just not realistic
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aha, so you aren't the myth the media makes you out to be! :D

Amazingly there are a few of us left, drowning in this sea of illegal immigrants and Polish :p

The media do love to exaggerate though :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Chryed have only been gone two months so I cut LN a bit of slack but if there are no LGBT characters by the end of year then LN is living in a fantasy world if she thinks there are no LGBT people in the East End.

Another example is a Doctor, why is there no regular doctor on the Square? this is just not realistic

Soaps aren't realistic. Like that many people would all know their neighbours, would all work in the square etc.

Like I said, a gay character with a SL mapped out that isn't about his or her sexuality I could live with, a gay character brought in purely to say 'We have a gay character' would be pathetic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazingly there are a few of us left, drowning in this sea of illegal immigrants and Polish :p

The media do love to exaggerate though :D

Haha! :D

I know - Doom mongers :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see a Chinese takeaway open up and be owned by the new family we have been promised.