Sad

BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone suffer from this, and wouldn't mind sharing their experiences? I could do with some info that isn't as "formal" as what my google search has brought up.

edit - my title hasn't stayed capitalised as I thought it would - I'm on about SAD (Seasonal affective disorder)

Comments

• Butterfly8588Butterfly8588 Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Bethany,
    I think I suffer from this, at least to a certain degree. I find things to love about every season but I do find that in the winter months that I am quite down.
    I get tired much easier, I'm more likely to want to stay in and not because it's cold but because I dont want to leave the house, I'm more moody and I cry more etc.
    I dont think I have a bad case of SAD but I do think I have it slightly.
    Is this something you think you have?

take care xxx
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for the 4th year in a row, about this time of year, I've lost motivation for everything. The past few years I've taken anti-depressants, first prescribed about november, and by about february/march, I've come off them.

I need to start my dissertation and have 2 pieces of music composed and performed in the next 4 weeks. I should be working hard and stressing about it. I can't even be bothered getting up. I'm just totally flat about everything.

I popped into work (which I always loved) to ask my manager something today, we're good friends outside work, and I burst into tears in her office.

I went to go get a notebook, I thought a nice book may motivate me to write in it and do some work, and started crying in paperchase. I have absolutely no idea why.

I have a drs appointment on friday.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bethaneeny wrote: »
    Does anyone suffer from this, and wouldn't mind sharing their experiences? I could do with some info that isn't as "formal" as what my google search has brought up.

edit - my title hasn't stayed capitalised as I thought it would - I'm on about SAD (Seasonal affective disorder)

I find a therapy lamp helps somewhat.
  • Butterfly8588Butterfly8588 Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh bethany I'm sorry you feel so bad, I hope your drs appointment goes well on friday.

take care of yourself and good luck with your work xxx
  • suki csuki c Posts: 6,083
    Forum Member
    my friend has suffered really badly for several years now and finally bought a special lamp a couple of weeks ago which has improved her life amazingly!
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I think I suffer from this, but not too severely - it's not too overwhelming. To be honest, I'm not willing to find out that I do... I'm already having to deal with body-dysmorphia, bipolar and its related anxiety.

It's odd because I genuinely do have an appreciation for all the seasons, but when the weather begins to turn both wet and cold I often find it impacts my entire mood for that day, particularly in the evenings. Lamplight seems to have a positive effect again, and boosts my motivation tenfold...though of course being limited to where a lamp can go isn't totally practical, and so you just have to try and get on with it really.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Does this affect people the other way too? I dont like being around lots of people so i find when it gets to summer it gets me down. You cant go places without huge swarms of people, bees are everywhere and people have their music on full blast. I cant even enjoy the sun from my own garden because im cooped up at work!

So i like it when the world quietens down, and it isnt hot anymore. I like being able to walk around when theres hardly many people about. Plus i dont mind working indoors when its wet and windy outside.
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bethaneeny wrote: »
    for the 4th year in a row, about this time of year, I've lost motivation for everything. The past few years I've taken anti-depressants, first prescribed about november, and by about february/march, I've come off them.

I need to start my dissertation and have 2 pieces of music composed and performed in the next 4 weeks. I should be working hard and stressing about it. I can't even be bothered getting up. I'm just totally flat about everything.

I popped into work (which I always loved) to ask my manager something today, we're good friends outside work, and I burst into tears in her office.

I went to go get a notebook, I thought a nice book may motivate me to write in it and do some work, and started crying in paperchase. I have absolutely no idea why.

I have a drs appointment on friday.

That would be their prices! Seriously though, sounds like you suffer badly with it. Have you tried the lamp thing? Have heard its quite good.

I hate this time of year, dark in the morning and dark early evening. Last night I was meant to go out but cancelled and just went home and curled up on the sofa. Even though you have no motivation sometimes you have to force youself to do things. x
  • ZentonZenton Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lume light boxes help. I've used a few and they do work. Often you can have them on a trial
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies,

I'll mention the light boxes at my appointment on friday, - if it turns out thats my problem, they sound useful.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure I have a mild case of this. I just find winter depressing in general and I find it harder getting up, especially when I have to be up really early. I tend to get tired and I can be more irritable and cranky in winter than in spring/summer. I haven't told my family though as they would probably just laugh at me. I don't think they believe that the condition exists. That's one reason I haven't been to see a doctor. How do those light boxes work?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure I have a mild case of this. I just find winter depressing in general and I find it harder getting up, especially when I have to be up really early. I tend to get tired and I can be more irritable and cranky in winter than in spring/summer. I haven't told my family though as they would probably just laugh at me. I don't think they believe that the condition exists. That's one reason I haven't been to see a doctor. How do those light boxes work?

I have this one:

http://day-lights.com/canadaindex.html

and I find it works well when I use it properly.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I have this one:

http://day-lights.com/canadaindex.html

and I find it works well when I use it properly.

Can you buy them in the shops? Are you supposed to use it for about an hour a day or something?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you buy them in the shops? Are you supposed to use it for about an hour a day or something?

You should be able to buy them in places like Boots (I'm guessing here since I bought mine in Canada). You use this particular one for 20 mins a day and you need to sit quite close to it - I usually sit and have my breakfast while it's on. I like this particular model as it has a task-light setting as well as the therapy setting.

There are all kinds of different brands, but this is the only one I've had experience with.