Options

SPOTY 2014 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lewis Hamilton now odds on

I'm sure he's thinking "If only I can the win the F1 championship SPOTY will be mine!"
  • Options
    James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mo's paricipation in doubt

Asked on BBC Radio 5 live on Monday if he was going to be fit for the Games, Farah replied: "It's a good question. I don't know."

He added: "Hopefully I should be good. I have missed a bit of training, but we'll make a decision further down the line."

Farah was admitted to hospital in the United States with abdominal pains at the start of the month and has had further tests in the United Kingdom.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/28299861

Dropping like ninepins
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think the vast majority of the British watching public know that ? I would be surprised, they see a British victory and applaud it. There will be Kenyans in the field too so it isn't a gimme for Mo.

Also, the public know that Mo beat a top field at the Olympics and elsewhere, so for someone like him, it will be irrelevant. Assuming he makes it, and wins.

Hannah Cockroft has had a very good year so far, and if she has a good games, she will carry over a certain amount of goodwill from previous years too. Maybe not enough to win, but enough for the short-list.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit I am liking Katrina Johnson Thompson at 25/1. Heptahlon captures the publics imagination plus she is very personable and appealing

Oddly enough the odds of Justin Rose winning The Open are less than winning SPOTY, yet if he wins this weekend he will be a strong contender you would think
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit I am liking Katrina Johnson Thompson at 25/1. Heptahlon captures the publics imagination plus she is very personable and appealing

Oddly enough the odds of Justin Rose winning The Open are less than winning SPOTY, yet if he wins this weekend he will be a strong contender you would think

Had a cheeky £5 bet on KJT last week at 40/1 - guessing her odds must have dropped after her excellent performance in the Diamond League at the weekend. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Had a cheeky £5 bet on KJT last week at 40/1 - guessing her odds must have dropped after her excellent performance in the Diamond League at the weekend. :)

Plus others falling by the wayside
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member

I stuck a fiver on her each way at 33/1 the other week. If all goes to plan can for sure seeing her finishing at least top three
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    laddergoat wrote: »
    I stuck a fiver on her each way at 33/1 the other week. If all goes to plan can for sure seeing her finishing at least top three

What are the rules on your bet ? Some I have seen are 2 places and a 1/3 the odds and some are top 3 but 1/5 of the odds
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    Hannah Cockroft has had a very good year so far, and if she has a good games, she will carry over a certain amount of goodwill from previous years too. Maybe not enough to win, but enough for the short-list.

Slight problem with that, her classification is not included in the limited number of para events at the Commonwealth Games so she won't be there. Her big event this year is the European Championships in Swansea in August.
  • Options
    Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the minute, then, possible contenders I can think of for the shortlist based on what they've done this year are probably as follows:
    - Lizzy Yarnold
    - Kelly Gallagher (Winter Paralympic skier)
    - Jonny Wilkinson
    - Gareth Bale
    - Carl Froch
    - Mark Selby

That's just off the top of my head, so add to that if you can think of any others.

Add in a couple of probable candidates from the Commonwealths, plus the potential for Hamilton, Murray and some of our golfers to get in on the act and we've at least got a reasonable shortlist beginning to form. Not as good as in previous years, but some decent contenders nonetheless.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzy Yarnold gets my vote at the moment. I hope Mo gets gold at the CGs and then he'd get the nod for me.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,034
    Forum Member
    Rory McIlroy putting himself forward with an impressive showing..

On the BBC and in this country so more people will take note as well.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Olympics decision will count against him.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Rory McIlroy putting himself forward with an impressive showing..

On the BBC and in this country so more people will take note as well.
    Bosox wrote: »

Yes an interesting point, is he eligible now?
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Hamilton wins the WDC he'll be a shoo in. He won it in 2008 and came second to Chris Hoy that year, I can't see him missing out on it again if he wins the WDC again. Plus the title is decided in November meaning its fresher in peoples memory by the time the vote comes.

If Rory wins his the USPGA in Valhalla in addition to the Ryder cup, that might be a different story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »

Couldn't disagree more. I'd wager the vast majority don't care.

Rory now favourite with the bookies.

Lennox Lewis represented Canada at the Olympics, granted the other way around, and Barry McGuigan fought professionally under the Ireland flag yet still won SPOTY.
  • Options
    spindiddlyspindiddly Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to have an EW punt on Michael Jamieson as I think if he wins gold (which I think he will) and breaks the world record (which he could) then I think he has a chance. But he's not listed.

Also, WTF is Gerrard doing on the list at 66/1? Weird.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    What are the rules on your bet ? Some I have seen are 2 places and a 1/3 the odds and some are top 3 but 1/5 of the odds

Top three placing :)
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Slight problem with that, her classification is not included in the limited number of para events at the Commonwealth Games so she won't be there. Her big event this year is the European Championships in Swansea in August.

I didn't know that. What a shame. She's one of our brightest competitors, so I hope she can get involved somehow, if it's not too frustrating for her to be there, but not participating.

Lennox Lewis represented Canada at the Olympics, granted the other way around, and Barry McGuigan fought professionally under the Ireland flag yet still won SPOTY.

Agreed. If this were an Olympic year, and the achievements were for the Olympics, he'd fall down the list. Most people will understand why he made the decision, and success today will be more important. Success at the Ryder Cup would more than compensate for any sense of misplaced patriotism.

Should Tom Daley get a gold or two at the Commonwealth Games, he could make the list, as if he makes the list, he's got a good chance of winning or placing high.
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just copied this off Hill's website

11/10 Rory McIlroy
    5/2 Lewis Hamilton
    6/1 Jonny Wilkinson
    8/1 Carl Froch
    14/1 Mo Farah
    16/1 Laura Trott
    20/1 Gareth Bale
    20/1 Katarina Johnson Thompson
    20/1 Lizzy Yarnold
    25/1 Justin Rose
    33/1 Andy Murray
    40/1 Kelly Gallagher
    50/1 Tony McCoy
    66/1James Anderson
    66/1 Lee Westwood
    66/1 Steven Gerrard
    80/1 Eilidh Child
    100/1 Amir Khan

Others On Request
    1/5 Odds Place 1,2,3

Andy Murray ew at 33/1 may be good value if he does well in the U.S. Open ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First European ever to win 3 different Majors. Give him the SPOTY trophy now
  • Options
    Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still think Hamilton will win it if he becomes world champion, but Rory will be a very worthy winner after this week. Great to see.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The McIlroy question is an intriuging one. He will likely place this year but what happens in 2 years time, if he wins Olympic Gold? He won't be elligible? But then if he picks up two other majors he could be for those? How will they work it?
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    Just copied this off Hill's website

11/10 Rory McIlroy
    5/2 Lewis Hamilton

Basically they're waiting for the result of the WDC, if Rory's still not odds on now, he certainly wont be if Lewis wins this years WDC. Although winning the local golf championship will help, Rory McIlroy has been for long time on the periphery with the common British sports fan (that will change though). Lewis Hamilton has been known for a lot longer and I suspect has a bigger sporting fanbase in this country, particularly England, and if he were to win this years WDC, he would storm to the SPOTY award.

If Rosberg wins the WDC, Rory will win SPOTY. If he wins the USPGA or sinks the winning put in the Ryder cup, he may win SPOTY regardless of what Hamilton does. But they are the conditions I think.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that's Chris Froome out of the running.

Not necessarily. I said earlier here that I didn't fancy Froome for either the Tour or SPOTY.However, Cav won it for non Tour performances. Froome still has the Vuelta which could be on another level to the Tour with Contador, Quintana, Rodriguez, Uran and plenty more. Then the World Champs, not really Froome's thing, but it'll go to a decent climber. Win both of those and he'll be in the 10. Still worth an E/W punt with the cycling fan base.

If I had to pick a likely top 3 now, she'd be in it.

I think it will be a factor. Not a huge one but I could see it accounting for some votes going elsewhere, enough that whatever happens I don't think he will be a shoe in for the win.

Be interesting to see if 2016 will be clarified at all too.