What dinner service / crockery do you use?

Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
Forum Member
Inspired by a discussion on another thread, here's a thread on what we're all eating off!

All my daily crockery is Aynsley Daisy Chain

http://www.aynsley.co.uk/category/casual-dining/daisy-chain.html

I think it's nice - simple design and quite elegant.

What do you use?

Comments

• PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A plate and a bowl in each colour from this Wilkinsons range...

http://www.wilko.com/search?q=colourplay&pdxtbrand=Wilko&pdxttype=Dinner+Plate
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Denby every day in black pepper, but we have broken a few pieces so I am on the hunt for something new, its robust but I am just awkward and chip and break too many things :D I dont want the same set again as they have changed the shape of the bowls and I dont like them now.

http://www.denby.co.uk/everyday-by-denby/everyday-black-pepper-12-piece-set/invt/136043985
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denby Jet. I've built an impressive collection of it over the last 10 years or so!
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    A plate and a bowl in each colour from this Wilkinsons range...

http://www.wilko.com/search?q=colourplay&pdxtbrand=Wilko&pdxttype=Dinner+Plate

Nice. Wilko's has some nice cheerful designs, and good value.
    I have a cup, plate, bowl etc of their Sustain range at school:

http://www.wilko.com/sustain/sustain-kitchen/icat/sustainkit
    Forum Member
    I think Denby is going to win this thread hands down!
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stuff that was given to me 30-odd years ago when I moved into this flat

a plate's a plate !
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denby Halo crockery and Newbridge cutlery.
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »

a plate's a plate !

Yeah I didn't buy anything matching till I was in my 30s; before that it was all mismatched stuff from my parents and other relatives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's a dead ringer for Emma Bridgewater dotty range.
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't buy anything matching till I was in my 30s; before that it was all mismatched stuff from my parents and other relatives.

You should have kept it, mismatched is all the rage now ;)

I have a lot of vintage plates too, but I tend not to use them much, some are pre war.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grade 2 Wedgwood and Doulton stuff, looks the part but unless you know where to look and only cost me 20-40p a plate 15 years ago
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Full Royal Doulton "Musicale" dinner set.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy white, plain, good quality bone china - and I get them from various places. My stuff doesn't exactly match but it's good enough for me.

This way, you break one or two, you just replace them with whatever else is available.

I've done this for around fifteen years.

I have four large china cups and saucers (more saucers now than cups of course) but use china mugs of various kinds and sizes and patterns. I break em a fair bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

a plate's a plate !

A table laid out with a full dinner service can look quite grand, which is nice at special occasions like Christmas.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have an eclectic collection of crockery which I have accumulated over the years.
    My most regular dinner plates are either some Bearn plates which my mother bought in France in the 60s and which I remember using sometimes in my childhood and which I then acquired when I bought my house in 2000. I also have some flatter plates (the Bearn have a bit of a raised edge) which I bought in a supermarket in Germany years ago, because I thought they were pretty - they have tiny strawberries on them. I also have some bowls which I bought in a supermarket somewhere because they were cheerful - they're white with red poppies on. I have various other plates and bowls which I've accumulated over the years, but those are the ones I use regularly.

My mugs are all different. The ones I use most often are a nice Villeroy & Boch wave mug (for tea), a purple cup and saucer (for coffee) and a John Lewis christmas mug with a polar bear on it for peppermint tea. Visitors can use any of my various random mugs - there's a Bagpuss one, a Labour Students one, a Dundee uni one, one with the EU gold stars, one with cats on, one with my name on, a dalek... Maybe I should really buy some grown up mugs one day!

I have some nice wine glasses, but again, none of them match. Some are cheapy supermarket ones, some are end of line bargains from posh places, some are antiques I've picked up over the years. I had a lovely antique wine goblet in really heavy glass that I loved (it was really old) but I managed to smash it last year.
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    A table laid out with a full dinner service can look quite grand, which is nice at special occasions like Christmas.

I have separate xmas plates and cups, cheapy cheap from the local B&M. I am thinking that perhaps I have too much crockery. I also have a pale pink set for best.
  • DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Opposite here Welshlad, as we used to have a matching service, then I got fed up with it, and started getting oddments. :D The Service went and oddments stayed..at present we have the following:

Tesco Matt Mono....cream dinner plate...2
    TU Porcelain...white plate......2
    George Dalvik......white....1
    Tesco Earthenware...........2
    Plastic dinner plates...floral...4
    Plastic small plate.......floral...1
    Square dinner plate...cream...1
    Square small plate....cream...2

We don't need a lot of plates, as there's only the 2 of us. But I've got some good cups and saucers, you interested in that sort for a new Thread. :D
  • AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,049
    Forum Member
    From Morrisons, with the spots :blush:
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    Full Royal Doulton "Musicale" dinner set.

Ooooh swish,

I remember visiting a friend in Wiltshire and eating off this:

Royal Crown Derby 'Antoinette' service.

http://www.millyskitchenstore.co.uk/RoyalAntoinette-Category-3422.html?gclid=CPDqxMe1hr0CFaoewwodr0UAbw

Yes exactly.
    Glad I didn't know beforehand or I'd have turned into Elizabeth on Keeping Up Appearances!
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't have a table either.........:D

Well actually I have two tables..........one has my computer on it and the other has my 'home office'

I eat off a little coffee table.........:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a dead ringer for Emma Bridgewater dotty range.

Just googled that, so it is, looks exactly the same. Way more expensive than Tesco though.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vera Wang for Wedgwood and Wedgwood on the whole.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Ikea 365 users?

I use an off white ikea set, I thought it was 365 but I bought it by mistake nearly three years ago and it's not as nice.

I'm looking to replace...should I get the 365 or get something more fancy? My pal has a beautiful m&s set. Floral but in a modern way. But the problem with fancy sets is...if one needs to replace a piece, what if the style has been discontinued?? Then what?! It would be a disaster.

Are there any fancy sets which are kinda always in production?