Ben Elton's new sitcom airs tonight

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It's an old Ben elton routine from 1993.
    I can't believe how buttock clenchingly awful Beattie edmondson is in this. The daughter of ade and Jennifer too!
    It seems that in each episode Elton has just rewritten one of his standup routines from 25 years back into a sketch/sitcom scene.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    So that's how she got the role...
    I don't think it's being too cynical if you think that two of the actors worked with him in TTBL and one is the daughter of old colleagues - possibly family friends.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,615
    Forum Member
    Terrible waste of great comedy actors. This is easily the worst comedy show on TV at the moment And considering how awful Vicious & The Job Lot are, that's really saying something. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given it a few weeks now and think it is terrible. One of the worst comedies the BBC has produced in years. It's not because its so old fashioned, I think its just the terrible cliched writing. TOTAL TOSS POT oh how funny. The stupid mayor with his nonsense speech impediment and the blonde girl with the dated "rap" speak.

As someone else said on here even mocking health and safety has been done to death in various different guises.

No doubt the BBC will comission another series move it to 9.30 on a Monday and hail it a huge success. It can go back to back with that other gem of a sitcom, Citizen Khan.
  • AnthonymcQAnthonymcQ Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    The rAp talking lesbian is definitely the lowlight for me.

I have nothing against rapping lesbians, but it just doesn't work.
  • VideoNiceyVideoNicey Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Oy. I promised myself to steer very clear of this one, remaining aloof while everyone else gorged themselves on its awfulness, but last night, curiosity got the better of me.
    I have seen it. It is wretched.
    Even the title sequence and theme tune are dire.
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shall we kick this tripe to the kerb Gerald?:confused::o:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't 'krap' start with a 'c'?:sleep:

Is the mayor not in it tonight?:(
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah Kyle became a decent guy tonight.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Dough wrote: »
    Doesn't 'krap' start with a 'c'?:sleep:

Is the mayor not in it tonight?:(

He's not there tonight, tonight, he's not there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's getting worse.:o:(
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't bad enough to be entertaining tonight. It was just a standard crap episode, rather than it's usually mind-bogglingly awful standard.

I demand a lot less from next week's finale.
  • Locarno1Locarno1 Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    mikebuk wrote: »
    He's not there tonight, tonight, he's not there.

He's not there tonight. Tonight there not he's ;)
  • Locarno1Locarno1 Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    I absolutely love this show, it's great!! :D
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Saw it again yesterday and the main character actually has a rhythmic way of delivering his lines that is quite fascinating, not funny or realistic but the flow can be quite mesmerising, at the same time however, it ruins the show because you're concentrating on that and nothing else.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    Please folks, those who don't like it, don't watch it; you're only adding to the ratings figures and the Beeb will think it's more popular than it is. It's not going to get any better!
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I couldn't finish tonight's episode on iPlayer. I had to turn it off. It was utterly abysmal and not even entertainingly bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think its okay. seems really dated though.

i do like david haig.

one thing that bugs me is how can people say its so bad they turned it off after 2 mins lol

how can that be long enough to judge a show.
    only fools and horses was awfull for the first few series
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    oh crikey
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kcspurs wrote: »
    i think its okay. seems really dated though.

i do like david haig.

one thing that bugs me is how can people say its so bad they turned it off after 2 mins lol

how can that be long enough to judge a show.
    only fools and horses was awfull for the first few series

There is quite a long list of shows that were either dropped or very nearly dropped after one or two series.

I'm not sure this will join that list though! :D
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I defended this after the first episode, but have to admit last nights was a shocker, the poor acting where they all ended up on the floor was beyond bad, and not the slightest bit humorous..

Wish I'd kept the other episodes and archived them just to remind myself what a bad comedy is, worse than the Royal Bodyguard...
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    ...the poor acting where they all ended up on the floor was beyond bad, and not the slightest bit humorous..
    Yep. And Alan Partridge did the same joke a lot simpler and a whole lot funnier, fifteen years ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    bump :D
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please folks, those who don't like it, don't watch it; you're only adding to the ratings figures and the Beeb will think it's more popular than it is. It's not going to get any better!

It's okay, don't worry, they're not.:D

But I get your point about somehow some really bad programmes can have this mesmerising effect on people and they can somehow be drawn in out of morbid curiosity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I find it one of those shows where it's so bad, it has appeal. You find yourself laughing at the show rather than with it. And as somebody who's in the process of writing a comedy script, this gives me some hope that the bar isn't set too high...