Philips 24PW6006: Comments Please!

Hi guys,

I'm toying with the idea of getting one of these to replace a 14" Toshiba portable I've had since 1996 - nothing wrong with it as such, but I'm moving into a new, bigger bedroom and suspect it will seem a bit too small in there.

I've done some searching around and found it for the rather reasonable price of £230, but I havn't been able to find any reviews about it online - sites such as Comet just say on the boxes next to Picture and Sound grading 'Not Reviewed' or similar.

I've done a topic search on this forum, and only found a couple of theads about it's behavior regarding switching from 16:9 channels to 4:3 channels - I'm already fairly familar with this as we have a 28" Philips TV in our main living room we braught Christmas 1999, although this newer model does seem to have advanced things a bit by remembering which mode you want for 4:3 programmes - the one downstairs just switches between widescreen mode and 4:3 from digital boxes.

So yeah, if you have a 24PW6006, I'd be very greatful for hearing any comments you have about it as I just can't find any elsewhere and I'm not a 'Which?' subscriber :)

Comments

• pinchezpinchez Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Hi Cystal

I have one of these TV's in my bedroom for the last 8 months. Its a fantastic set and as never given me a problem.

The picture and sound quality are excellent and there's even a built in radio (which i don't use).

At £230 i would grab one while you can, i payed £330 for mine :cry:

But still worth that :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hi mate

i have one, very nice, good fm radio, nice remote

good quality, only problem i have is that rgb is too red...........

Dan

PS, i paid £189 for mine! special offer 8month ago!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by saxton
    good quality, only problem i have is that rgb is too red...........

Hard for me to tell obviously having not seen the television itself running Saxton, but I find RGB signals tend to make all colours much brighter and 'sharper' - alternatively you should be able to counter a strong red signal using the 'Tint' option on the picture menu - I assume this has the picture, sound and 'features' menus on the red, green and yellow buttons on the remote respectively like our older Philips 16:9 TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that it - only two people on these forums have this television? Surely there must be at least a few more people out there...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got one from HiSpek last month for £260 and it's a good tv with a crisp picture...

Problem is you can get shadows or what looks like dirty marks on the screen...they tend to get worse the longer the set is on, but you are more likely to notice them watching shows with light backgrounds or sports....

My problem is in the left hand corner area..I had Philips engineer have a look and pretty much as I expected there's sadly little or nothing you can do about it...as it's not overly bad I decided not to take any action...If it gets substantially worse within the warranty then I'll get them back..

The chances are if I got a new set it could just as likely have the same problem or worse...or have geometry problems...

From the little bit of looking about..such probs are not unusual with all widescreen sets..so it's better to shell out £200 odd pounds rather double and then some...
  • lynxlynx Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by CrystalAvenger
    Is that it - only two people on these forums have this television? Surely there must be at least a few more people out there...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=56342
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=60455
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=39761
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=60621
    Do a search and you will find many more threads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks very much for those links lynx - greatly appreciated.

Feedback on the whole actually seems pretty positive - you will get duff systems in any batch of any electrical product, so as with all things, you make your choices and you take your chances I guess, so I think one of these will certainly be on my shopping list in the very near future - thanks guys for the feedback, if I do get one of these I will certainly post back with my experiances, whatever they be.
  • pinchezpinchez Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    I know a couple of members have posted that they have had slight problems with there sets but i honestly couldn't be happier with mine.

I would just like to add that i Have a PS2, Dreamcast and Gamecube running through a argos scart splitter into Scart 1 (RGB) on the TV and i have a DVD player into a VCR running into scart 2 (composit). and i have a feed from my sky digital running into the RF socket.

I get a perfect picture from all the equipment attached and use the TV daily.

I Hope this extra info helps i am sure there are many more people who have this set and have no problems with it.

Good luck with yours if you decide to purchase
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd still buy it despite my slight problem....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by pinchez
    I have a PS2, Dreamcast and Gamecube running through a argos scart splitter into Scart 1 (RGB) on the TV and i have a DVD player into a VCR running into scart 2 (composit). and i have a feed from my sky digital running into the RF socket.

I get a perfect picture from all the equipment attached and use the TV daily.

I Hope this extra info helps i am sure there are many more people who have this set and have no problems with it.
    Interesting setup there pinchez - I'm thinking about getting the £25 5 into 1 SCART box in the Summer Argos catalogue - just out of interest, when and where did you get your RGB PS2 SCART lead? I've looked around and apart from the £30 official RGB SCART from Sony (I don't f***ing think so) the only other one I've found is this one at Game.

As to the problems some people have reported with it - yeah, that's kind of what I was trying to say at the end of my previous message - these will no doubt be released in batches of say 5 or 10 (I don't know how big a batch run typically is on a TV production line) but I'm sure not each and every TV that leaves the factory is tested, hence you have to expect that the odd faulty one will slip though only to be found by some poor person who ends up buying it.

Also I have to say, a lot of the problems I've seen reported on that AVForums site especially seem to be people not knowing how to use their equipment properly - or worse still, adjusting things in advanced menus they don't understand. I think I'm quite well prepaired - if the contrast seems very very low, the Contrast Plus needs setting higher. If the 4:3 screen is rather offset to one of the sides, I will need to enter the service menu and adjust 'HSC'. I've already downloaded the manual for the TV in PDF from the Philips Consumer website - I do believe that to make the best use of your equipment, you have to understand it first :)

At the moment, I envisage putting in my order for one of these in about a month to six weeks - there is still quite a fair bit of work that needs to be done in the new room such as painting, decorating and getting in furnature, and for obvious reasons I want to get these jobs done first before getting my nice new telly :p