A/V Lip sync

treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm surprised that there aren't more forum threads on this subject. It apears to be old news as the only posts that I've found are from years ago and usually refer to Sky.

I am talking about the problem with older A/V receivers connected to a bluray via optical/Coaxial in conjunction with a newer TV. Because TVs are now taking longer to process the video source this causes the Video and Audio to go out of sync

I can't believe that I'm the only one with this kind of setup and wondered what people did to combat the issue.

Did you get a new receiver with HDMI inputs and auto A/V delay? Did this solve the problem 100%?

Or did you direct the audio through the TV to the receiver at the expense of DTS?

Or did you change your TV to 'Game mode' to turn off the video processing?

Or do you just live with it?

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Or use the lip-sync audio delay setting on the Blu-ray player?
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The issue with very old receivers is not enough Lip Sync adjustment. They top out at 100mS.

There are processing boxes that can add additional audio delay, but by far the most common solution is to change the receiver for one that also includes HDMI and HD audio decoding.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Or use the lip-sync audio delay setting on the Blu-ray player?

I forgot about that option :)

If this just delayed the audio through the 'digital out' it would have solved my problem but unfortunately it delays both digital and HDMI outputs and a lot of the time I watch DVDs through the TV.
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a felston audio delay unit. I've had it a number of years and although expensive it was the only option at the time as this was before amps with delays were readily available. Besides, my amp (Denon 3802) was expensive, so upgrading to a new one would have been too much!
  • caveman2caveman2 Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    I suffer big time with a older A/V receiver and Virgin Media broadcast on a Samung LCD TV.
    My video lag is 260ms when watching Sky Sports with Dolby Digital.
    VM have no settings on their STB unlike Sky and I had the option of either a new receiver or a Felston Audio Delay Unit. I chose the Felston as I was happy with my receiver which cost £1K some 8 years ago. I know I could have got a new receiver with HDMI etc. but being lazy I took this option.
    Sorry I didn't read the post above as that could be my mirror as my A/V receiver is a Denon too.