Sanyo HD Ready Homi model - pic freezing etc.

My Sanyo TV is prone to pixelating occasionally, but more often to freezing of the picture, although sound continues without interruption. Sometimes I can`t change the channel or get TV guide/display or even switch-off with remote or set button. When any of these things occur I have to switch off the power at the wall socket and then switch on again. The picture reappears and all is well until the next time. Sometimes the sound and pictures are out of synch, usually after the picture has sort of jumped or had a blip.
I wonder if the set is in any danger of setting itself on fire. The odd thing (to me as a layman) is that when I watch a programme through the DVD/Video recorder channel there is never any of the above-mentioned difficulties. It would be good to have some info and views on all this - does the weather play any part, for example..

Comments

• AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    My Sanyo TV is prone to pixelating occasionally, but more often to freezing of the picture, although sound continues without interruption. Sometimes I can`t change the channel or get TV guide/display or even switch-off with remote or set button. When any of these things occur I have to switch off the power at the wall socket and then switch on again. The picture reappears and all is well until the next time. Sometimes the sound and pictures are out of synch, usually after the picture has sort of jumped or had a blip.
    I wonder if the set is in any danger of setting itself on fire. The odd thing (to me as a layman) is that when I watch a programme through the DVD/Video recorder channel there is never any of the above-mentioned difficulties. It would be good to have some info and views on all this - does the weather play any part, for example..

*Extremely* unlikely - and even then it's likely to self-extinguish.

The TV is fine on other items, so I'm afraid it's unlikely to be your TV that's at fault.

You could try factory resetting it and setting it up again, but it looks more likely it's picking up glitches due to imperfections in the signal caused by either your location, your aerial, or the aerial downlead.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Yes, EXTREMELY unlikely for a TV to catch fire - and in this case, a TV that doesn't have anything wrong with it, it's even less likely.

The problem sounds like a classic case of poor signal - as already suggested.
  • ThePenkethPedanThePenkethPedan Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Thanks for replies. I mentioned fire possibility as my son had an admittedly old colour TV which actually set itself on fire a couple of years ago -for no apparent reason: it had been working normally, I`m told.
    I think the aerial lead suggestion may be the answer, however why does the picture never misbehave when I`m viewing ordinary programmes on the video channel via the DVD recorder? Surely the feed to that is the same as to the TV in essence?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Thanks for replies. I mentioned fire possibility as my son had an admittedly old colour TV which actually set itself on fire a couple of years ago -for no apparent reason: it had been working normally, I`m told.
    I think the aerial lead suggestion may be the answer, however why does the picture never misbehave when I`m viewing ordinary programmes on the video channel via the DVD recorder? Surely the feed to that is the same as to the TV in essence?

Is the set tuned to the correct transmitter?, check if you have channels in the 800's on it's EPG, and if so are they OK.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member

I've found that different items have differing sensitivities to interference of this kind.
    Forum Member
    Is the set tuned to the correct transmitter?, check if you have channels in the 800's on it's EPG, and if so are they OK.

On the TV (with DVD off) the channels go to 802 on the programme guide, and come up OK . AS I said earlier, the pictures on programmes viewed on the TV mode are subject to all sorts of problems -not all the time,but often everything is working normally then the picture will start to break up, jump,freeze, sound will go out of synch etc.

Viewing channels via the DVD player/recorder, the picture is trouble-free, but the EPG shows only programmes to 727.
    Forum Member
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    I've found that different items have differing sensitivities to interference of this kind.

Like outside broadcasts or news programmes, for example?
    Can`t say I`ve noticed any specific types of programme that generate the problems, but will keep a lookout for it in future.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the TV (with DVD off) the channels go to 802 on the programme guide, and come up OK . AS I said earlier, the pictures on programmes viewed on the TV mode are subject to all sorts of problems -not all the time,but often everything is working normally then the picture will start to break up, jump,freeze, sound will go out of synch etc.

Viewing channels via the DVD player/recorder, the picture is trouble-free, but the EPG shows only programmes to 727.
    Here's a thought.

Does the aerial connect to the DVD recorder then you use a link cable from that to the TV? If so...

Plug the aerial directly into the back of the telly. Try that for a day or two. Obviously the DVD recorder won't be able to receive anything but this will test whether it is the TV or something external to the TV.

If the TV now behaves itself then that implies the problem is in how the TV gets it's aerial signal when the DVD recorder is in circuit. So plug it back as normal.

If you can, try a different link cable between the recorder and TV. Also check to make sure the cable is not wrapped around other cables. There have been stories on DS before of aerial cables getting wrapped round HDMI cables for example and getting loads of interference. Separate the cables and the interference goes. So worth checking.

The other possibility is that the recorder has a low power standby mode. That might turn off the amplifier inside the recorder that splits the aerial signal between it's internal tuner(s) and the TV out socket. That would seriously reduce the signal available to the TV. Usually though it renders it unusable. But you can check this by trying to watch TV via the TV's tuner with the recorder on and off and seeing if turning it off makes any difference.

I would be doubtful if this was the problem as it usually means next to zero aerial signal feeds through to the TV. But you never know. If it is that then either use a splitter to split the aerial feed so the TV and recorder get separate feeds or dive into the set up of the recorder and turn Low Power Standby off (assuming it has that option).

Of course if plugging the aerial direct to the TV does not cure the problem then either the TV is at fault or the aerial system is. It is possible for the aerial signal to be hovering on the edge of usability. Just that the recorder is better able to cope with weak signals than the TV.

If either the TV or recorder have a signal check display fire that up and see what it is reading for signal strength. Anything over 40% full scale is probably OK. Below that and you may have issues.

It is also possible to have too much signal. And again maybe the recorder handles that better than the TV. This would be indicated by the signal strength sat on 100% but perhaps the Quality reading being less than 100%. Overloading the first stages of the tuner can cause all sorts of interference affecting reception quality.

If it is a weak signal then that could be a poor aerial, damage to the aerial, connections or downlead (or any combination of those). If it is too much signal then a simple UHF attenuator might cure it. Stick one in line with the aerial to reduce the signal going into the recorder and hence on to the TV.

But with a bit of experimentation you should be able to narrow down the problem.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like outside broadcasts or news programmes, for example?
    Can`t say I`ve noticed any specific types of programme that generate the problems, but will keep a lookout for it in future.
    No. What AidanLunn meant is that different TV receivers respond differently to interference coming down the aerial cable. Nothing to do with the programmes you are watching.
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In principal if you have stations in the 800 numbers then you have a reception problem as the 800 are the overflow area for extra duplicated stations .

Do a Manual tune on each multiplex ( get the numbers by using your post code on www.digitaluk.co.uk ) and its likely that all be OK .
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Here's a thought.

Does the aerial connect to the DVD recorder then you use a link cable from that to the TV? If so...

Plug the aerial directly into the back of the telly. Try that for a day or two. Obviously the DVD recorder won't be able to receive anything but this will test whether it is the TV or something external to the TV.

If the TV now behaves itself then that implies the problem is in how the TV gets it's aerial signal when the DVD recorder is in circuit. So plug it back as normal.

If you can, try a different link cable between the recorder and TV. Also check to make sure the cable is not wrapped around other cables. There have been stories on DS before of aerial cables getting wrapped round HDMI cables for example and getting loads of interference. Separate the cables and the interference goes. So worth checking.

The other possibility is that the recorder has a low power standby mode. That might turn off the amplifier inside the recorder that splits the aerial signal between it's internal tuner(s) and the TV out socket. That would seriously reduce the signal available to the TV. Usually though it renders it unusable. But you can check this by trying to watch TV via the TV's tuner with the recorder on and off and seeing if turning it off makes any difference.

I would be doubtful if this was the problem as it usually means next to zero aerial signal feeds through to the TV. But you never know. If it is that then either use a splitter to split the aerial feed so the TV and recorder get separate feeds or dive into the set up of the recorder and turn Low Power Standby off (assuming it has that option).

Of course if plugging the aerial direct to the TV does not cure the problem then either the TV is at fault or the aerial system is. It is possible for the aerial signal to be hovering on the edge of usability. Just that the recorder is better able to cope with weak signals than the TV.

If either the TV or recorder have a signal check display fire that up and see what it is reading for signal strength. Anything over 40% full scale is probably OK. Below that and you may have issues.

It is also possible to have too much signal. And again maybe the recorder handles that better than the TV. This would be indicated by the signal strength sat on 100% but perhaps the Quality reading being less than 100%. Overloading the first stages of the tuner can cause all sorts of interference affecting reception quality.

If it is a weak signal then that could be a poor aerial, damage to the aerial, connections or downlead (or any combination of those). If it is too much signal then a simple UHF attenuator might cure it. Stick one in line with the aerial to reduce the signal going into the recorder and hence on to the TV.

But with a bit of experimentation you should be able to narrow down the problem.

Overwhelmed that you`ve taken all that trouble for me,Chris, many thanks. The aerial lead from outside goes to the DVD, with link cable to TV plus scart. I`ve noticed that the TV pic probs occur whilst DVD is on standby and I think also when the DVD is on but not being watched through TV. I`ll have a go at plugging the main aerial lead direct to TV and also see if I have a spare connecting lead to replace current one. Will also tidy up the tangle and hope one or the other or a combination will help. Thank you for other reply too, wasn`t sure about that.
    Forum Member
    iangrad wrote: »
    In principal if you have stations in the 800 numbers then you have a reception problem as the 800 are the overflow area for extra duplicated stations .

Do a Manual tune on each multiplex ( get the numbers by using your post code on www.digitaluk.co.uk ) and its likely that all be OK .

Actually, although the numbers show on the EPG, I don`t think I`ve ever used any after 727 (Sport talk).. I`ll try later on. If other solutions fail then the manual tune looks like the next option. Thank you for that.