Will One direction crack America?

Comments

• String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stally wrote: »
    Hahaha. Who's laughing now?

I guess you predicted wrong because WMYB is #11 on the Billboard Hot 100 and climbing.

Ha ha ha!!! So many many of these comments we need to pull out.:D
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    String9 wrote: »

oh, DM... just when you thought they finally got the facts right, they will get one detail wrong:

"Tomlinson is the oldest of the group and is understood to be the only one in a serious relationship. He is dating student and model Eleanor Calder.":eek::D:p
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »
    oh, DM... just when you thought they finally got the facts right, they will get one detail wrong:

"Tomlinson is the oldest of the group and is understood to be the only one in a serious relationship. He is dating student and model Eleanor Calder.":eek::D:p

And Liam's mother is called..........

*Payne is from Wolverhampton where his mother Geoff and receptionist mother Karen still live with his older sisters.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2121920/Beatlemania-takes-new-Direction-Thousands-gather-Montreal-catch-glimpse-band.html#ixzz1qVvWMDOY

You just can't get the proof readers nowadays :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »

*Payne is from Wolverhampton where his mother Geoff and receptionist mother Karen still live with his older sisters.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2121920/Beatlemania-takes-new-Direction-Thousands-gather-Montreal-catch-glimpse-band.html#ixzz1qVvWMDOY

ja ja ja, another one:

"Malik, from Bradford, is mixed race and three sisters. "

yes, that's the sentence...lolz!! :eek: did they drop a word or two? only DM knows...:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »

Yes saw those. So daft.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha ha!!! So many many of these comments we need to pull out.:D

Okay, let's do this! lol :D
    What's really funny is how they've gone quiet :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stally wrote: »
    Okay, let's do this! lol :D
    What's really funny is how they've gone quiet :D

Not surprised in the least.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a few.:D
    Kabradoon wrote: »
    They couldn't crack open a champagne bottle.

Lol!!!:D
    jackbell wrote: »
    Unless there's a sudden feeling of "look at the cute liddle guys from England with those funny accents!" I'm not sure they will be a huge success. Cute boys are ten-a-penny over there surely? Perhaps if they sang some Herman's Hermits covers? Now they were big in the US.
    xeo wrote: »
    They'll probably perform like Justin Bieber over there. Gets attention from people but not that much chart success.

uh hun!!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. Even back in the boyband era, UK boybands weren't popular. BBMak, Take That, etc were just on the precipices of Amercian knowledge. Now that the boyband era is dead, what makes people think that UK boybands will even be taken seriously? The fact that groups have been voted out in the US tells you all you need to know. And besides, it's mostly a two person band, three of those people can't sing. And given how America bases its importance on vocals, I doubt they'd even make a mark.

Well they've truly made their mark. What do you have to say now? :D
    AJ3 wrote: »
    pftttttttttttttt They have absolutely NO CHANCE whatsoever, so please you 1d 'fans' aka sheep please stop dreaming, JLS went there and came back being laughed at by the americans, 1d are even worse, theyll not only be laughed at by the US but theyll think we have such shit talent! so dont send these talentless nobodies over there to ruin the reputation of british music!

We weren't dreaming we just saw their potential from the beginning. Looks like 1D have cracked America and you're gonna have to face the facts :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benami311 wrote: »
    Never gonna happen. It's not like BTR have benefited at all from their relationship with the Glee label. Besides, Glee takes songs that are already pop culture hits. They're not going to go for unknowns, and frankly 1D is not "cool enough" for Glee's egomaniac producer. Even when they did the Bieber episode, it was meant to be tongue in cheek and he was already a huge star. Not gonna happen for an unknown, unless their songs are so poorly received and mocked incessantly in a Rebecca Black sort of way.

Lol I had to reply to this one :D

Looks like you were wrong because it is gonna happen as Glee have decided to cover their song. I guess that means their song is a pop culture hit if Glee has decided to take their song lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    E news behind the scenes coverage of icarly.
    http://www.twitvid.com/S0YAU
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    E news behind the scenes coverage of icarly.
    http://www.twitvid.com/S0YAU

thanks, E news for the newsbyte but am i the only one who thinks that they really need to invest money on their researchers? they once spelled zayn as zayne...:eek:
  • ShellmanShellman Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done on them getting the Number 1 for their album, but it just shows that teenage girls run the charts nowadays. They won't last.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must say I'm in the majority who thought they'd flop royally in the US :o congrats to them on their success, but I still don't think they have much of a shelf life beyond 3-5 years max. Unless they can grow with their fans of course, but with the likes of Cowell managing them that doesn't seem likely right now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must say I'm in the majority who thought they'd flop royally in the US :o congrats to them on their success, but I still don't think they have much of a shelf life beyond 3-5 years max. Unless they can grow with their fans of course, but with the likes of Cowell managing them that doesn't seem likely right now.

Well that's an improvement on they won't make it big at all :D I think it is a pretty fair comment about 3/5years by then they will have developed enough individually to go on and do solo projects but one thing is for sure they will be extremely wealthy young men and who knows their fan base may grow with them as they have with other popular bands and they may last longer than the normal shelf life.

Cowell may be the top man and have the final say but there are a lot of other people who have input including their american label, Columbia who appear to be handling the boys just fine .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that's an improvement on they won't make it big at all :D I think it is a pretty fair comment about 3/5years by then they will have developed enough individually to go on and do solo projects but one thing is for sure they will be extremely wealthy young men and who knows their fan base may grow with them as they have with other popular bands and they may last longer than the normal shelf life.

Cowell may be the top man and have the final say but there are a lot of other people who have input including their american label, Columbia who appear to be handling the boys just fine .

3-5 years was more of an educated estimate. Both sides of the Atlantic have their 'boyband giants', who went above and beyond usual boyband expectations. The UK have Westlife, Boyzone, Take That and I guess McFly could be factored in since they've been going seven years now. The US have The Backstreet Boys, NSync, New Kids on the Block, Boyz II Men, and even Hanson. I'm well aware that most of these bands have since come to their natural conclusion, but they seem to be the benchmark for all future boybands. Then you look at the amount of bands whose success was highly concentrated, yet comparatively short-lived (O-Town, 98 Degrees, LFO, B2K, Busted, V, 5ive, A1, Blue. I could go on but I'd be here all day, those are just off the top of my head). None of these lasted longer than five or six years at a push. I guess what I'm trying to say is that long lasting boybands seem to be the exception rather than the rule. I'm not a 1D fan but they seem like nice lads, I hope their management does push them to grow and change with their fanbase (who I assume are largely pre-teen girls) to keep them fresh and 'cool'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Absolutely. I believe Sony have provided them with the best in the business. They're in good hands.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3-5 years was more of an educated estimate. Both sides of the Atlantic have their 'boyband giants', who went above and beyond usual boyband expectations. The UK have Westlife, Boyzone, Take That and I guess McFly could be factored in since they've been going seven years now. The US have The Backstreet Boys, NSync, New Kids on the Block, Boyz II Men, and even Hanson. I'm well aware that most of these bands have since come to their natural conclusion, but they seem to be the benchmark for all future boybands. Then you look at the amount of bands whose success was highly concentrated, yet comparatively short-lived (O-Town, 98 Degrees, LFO, B2K, Busted, V, 5ive, A1, Blue. I could go on but I'd be here all day, those are just off the top of my head). None of these lasted longer than five or six years at a push. I guess what I'm trying to say is that long lasting boybands seem to be the exception rather than the rule. I'm not a 1D fan but they seem like nice lads, I hope their management does push them to grow and change with their fanbase (who I assume are largely pre-teen girls) to keep them fresh and 'cool'.

Busted and 5ive don't count really as a member from each band decided to leave and the rest called it a day. V (like Phixx) never really got off the ground so again I am not sure they would count either. I thought Blue
    lasted longer than 5 years too and thought they themselves decided to take a break as they all wanted to do solo projects. and you forgot Bay City Rollers who also had amazing success in the States. Actually looking at your list I am surprised how many bands lasted quite a while so maybe it is a fallacy that boybands don't last long
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally Paul McCartney's take on 1D being referred to as the next Beatles.:)

Sir Paul said today: "There are so many bands who all get called 'the next Beatles'. Suddenly it puts an awful lot of pressure on them to be the next Beatles."

"They're doing well in America. It's good. Good luck, lads," he added.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/sir-paul-warns-one-direction-over-becoming-the-next-beatles-7603250.html

I don't think Oasis made enough impact in the States to be called the next Beatles though, maybe in the UK.
  • chawlvischawlvis Posts: 201
    Forum Member

Sir Paul said today: "There are so many bands who all get called 'the next Beatles'. Suddenly it puts an awful lot of pressure on them to be the next Beatles."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/sir-paul-warns-one-direction-over-becoming-the-next-beatles-7603250.html

I don't think Oasis made enough impact in the States to be called the next Beatles though, maybe in the UK.

Just as I predicted in the 1D Beatles thread, Sir Paul wishes them well. Now if only I could do as well in the footie pool...:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chawlvis wrote: »
    Just as I predicted in the 1D Beatles thread, Sir Paul wishes them well. Now if only I could do as well in the footie pool...:)

You never know, you could be on a roll.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A-ha! They managed to get a response from sir Paul... I agree, good luck to the boys...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the boys' book "Dare to Dream" to be released in the US in May::D

http://www.billboard.com/news/one-direction-to-publish-biographical-book-1006625152.story#/news/one-direction-to-publish-biographical-book-1006625152.story

too bad it's unseasonal to sell a 2012 calendar as well... maybe a 2013 calendar? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTV reveals the 5 Things they want to see on the Kids Choice Awards today::)

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1682152/nick-kids-choice-awards-2012-tomorrow.jhtml
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTV reveals the 5 Things they want to see on the Kids' Choice Awards 2012::)

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1682152/nick-kids-choice-awards-2012-tomorrow.jhtml