Most complicated game story

Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Have you ever really enjoyed a game but thought "wtf is going on" when it comes to the story . A game ths happened to me with was Bioshock Infinite . Very enjoyable game I just couldn't get with the story line .

Comments

• kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Metal gear has to be up there as one franchise that's not easy to follow.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »

As soon as I saw the thread title I thought "Metal Gear" :D

Resident Evil is a bit of a spaghetti junction, too...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    As soon as I saw the thread title I thought "Metal Gear" :D

Resident Evil is a bit of a spaghetti junction, too...

Same about Metal Gear.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup Metal Gear without a doubt :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FF7, although i 've never played any of the MGS games apart from the first one :P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scott_P wrote: »
    FF7, although i 've never played any of the MGS games apart from the first one :P

FFVII was only difficult to follow because half the story was either hidden or required certain characters in the party for certain conversations, other than that it was your run off the mill stop the evil corporation story

Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 is where things start to go crazy, never have i played two games and felt like i know than i did before i started either
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I've been lucky in the fact I've not played any games with what could be considered hard to follow storylines apart from bioshock.
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Metal Gear. I did enjoy Bioshock Infinite's story.

It wasn't complicated but Bayonetta's story was a bit bonkers.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Deus Ex was pretty complex.
  • james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Yup Metal Gear without a doubt :p

up until metal gear 4 the story line was fairly easy to follow but mg4 was quite complicated
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    james_W85 wrote: »
    up until metal gear 4 the story line was fairly easy to follow but mg4 was quite complicated

I thought MGS4 was very straight forward and rounded most things up nicely.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of them.
    Halo 4, bioshock, mass effect, call of duty, mirrors edge. Fallout New Vegas, dishonoured , metro last light, army of two....Nearly every game. I have no interest in the story at all so often don't pay attention.
    I hope that secretly the makers of games will see me desperately trying to skip so they dont put these over long cut scenes in games...if I want a good story I'll go to the cinema.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of them.
    Halo 4, bioshock, mass effect, call of duty, mirrors edge. Fallout New Vegas, dishonoured , metro last light, army of two....Nearly every game. I have no interest in the story at all so often don't pay attention.
    I hope that secretly the makers of games will see me desperately trying to skip so they dont put these over long cut scenes in games...if I want a good story I'll go to the cinema.
    I thought metro last lights story was quite straightforward really. Agree with dishonered though . Not to mention it was a seriously boring game . I think there's a big differences though between a game with a confusing story ( like the ones you mentioned) and those with a silly nonsensical storyline which is easy to understand but just daft and full of holes,
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    kendoguk wrote: »

Definitely.

I also found Bayonetta's plot confusing, although that may have just been down to poor storytelling.
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really couldn't understand what was going on in Pacman. Didn't understand the motives behind the ghosts' actions.
    Forum Member
    All of them.

In my opinion, convoluted stories, like the ones found in halo and metal gear games, are just a sign of poor writing. Deus Ex and Mass Effect had complicated stories that actually did make sense. I did enjoy dishonoured the first time through though, even though the story was a bit weak, because the gameplay was quite original.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I think most games mentioned so far in this thread are fairly simple, but some of them, like in the case of COD are just very badly told.

I think there are different kinds of complication. Sometimes there is just a confusing plot, but the best games are where the story is never fully explained, but if you pay enough attention you can figure it out. The ones that stick in my mind are

Pathologic
    The Void
    Cyrostasis
    Half Life
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Witcher series is far more complex story wise than most mentioned in this thread
  • WoodsMonkWoodsMonk Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Pac-man!
    Forum Member
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    I think most games mentioned so far in this thread are fairly simple, but some of them, like in the case of COD are just very badly told.

I think there are different kinds of complication. Sometimes there is just a confusing plot, but the best games are where the story is never fully explained, but if you pay enough attention you can figure it out. The ones that stick in my mind are

Pathologic
    The Void
    Cyrostasis
    Half Life

I would say most metal gear games are far more complicated than half life. Half life had a much better story though, shame they turned the sequel into a bit of a cluster****!

That's sort of the logic I'm using when I think of Mass Effect and Deus Ex. There's a lot going on in both of them, but they both still make sense. I don't count it, if it doesn't make sense. It's like someone asking 'what is the longest song' and me saying I just made a song that's a minute longer than the longest song, but is nothing but white noise. Metal gear is nothing but white noise to me, a bit like the star wars prequels. They think if they speak enough bs, it'll constitute a deep and effective story, but I just think it shows weak writing.
  • geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just incase no-ones said it - Metal Gear :p
    You know there's something very deep and complicated going on but never quite sure what it is...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    WoodsMonk wrote: »
    Pac-man!

I was thinking pong, never did find out the paddles motivations!
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    Half Life

I wasn't aware, until it was pointed out to me, that there aren't any children in City 17. Certainly a story that is to be seen (which I obviously didn't do lol), rather than told.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one said Kingdom Hearts II yet?

Finished it not long ago, and I still can't make much sense of it.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    No one said Kingdom Hearts II yet?

Finished it not long ago, and I still can't make much sense of it.

Id go with all the kingdom hearts games.