Who would've thought? HAGUE???

Comments

• chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ecco66 wrote: »
    Sorry chin, that's not how you are coming across to me at all. What I see is a decided attempt to call into question the fact that two adult men shared a room.

I have shared a twin room with straight men on many occasions and there was no intimacy. That does not call into question their sexuality.

You just don't like Mr Hague. You said he was odious.

I consider him odious because of his behaviour, policies and his past support of Clause 28. I do not know if the rumours are true, if they are then he is a hypocrite. Why did his aide resign if it is a non-story? Why does Hague mention miscarriages which presumably have nothing to do with the story? There are more questions than answers here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Invisipost
  • jswift909jswift909 Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skyknight wrote: »
    I've never felt mistreated or experienced a feeling of unfairness with regard to my sexuality. I have never been oppressed, and I am not repressed. You know why? Because I don't go on about it all the bloody time!

Good for you. And I know of thousands of stories of people who have been mistreated, denied their rights, and it happens here in the UK, as well as across the planet.

So good for you - I'm glad you haven't been in any way affected. That must make you about 5-7 years old - because before then the law was against gay people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I went for an interview and it was all going well until I was asked by the Area Manager if I was married. Now this could be because he prefers married men to work for him rather than straight men, however it sounded and looked to me if he was testing to see if I was gay or not. Needless to say I didn't get the job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    I consider him odious because of his behaviour, policies and his past support of Clause 28. I do not know if the rumours are true, if they are then he is a hypocrite. Why did his aide resign if it is a non-story? Why does Hague mention miscarriages which presumably have nothing to do with the story? There are more questions than answers here.

Because it PROVES with no doubt, at all, that he does have sex with women and enjoys it enough to get them pregnant so he can't be a homosexual!:rolleyes:

I think it is a very low and personal point to make. I doubt Fffion(I think I've put too many Fs there) wants it known public just so people don't think her husband prefers the company of pretty young men with lovely hair.

I think Myers and Hague are very naive if they think Myers' resignation is going to stop the speculation. Any hint that Myers is openly gay will see this story run and run in the mainstream media, unfairly but Hague knew the rumours surrounding him and sharing rooms with staff(of whatever gender) was going to do him no favours.

Did they really need to share the room? Isn't Hague a millionaire, surely he could have had his own double with Myers across the corridor in his room?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Braintree wrote: »
    Because it PROVES with no doubt, at all, that he does have sex with women and enjoys it enough to get them pregnant so he can't be a homosexual!:rolleyes:

I think it is a very low and personal point to make. I doubt Fffion(I think I've put too many Fs there) wants it known public just so people don't think her husband prefers the company of pretty young men with lovely hair.

I think Myers and Hague are very naive if they think Myers' resignation is going to stop the speculation. Any hint that Myers is openly gay will see this story run and run in the mainstream media, unfairly but Hague knew the rumours surrounding him and sharing rooms with staff(of whatever gender) was going to do him no favours.

Did they really need to share the room? Isn't Hague a millionaire, surely he could have had his own double with Myers across the corridor in his room?

It all looks very strange to me and I take your points about Ffion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should have get him drunk (14 pints should do it) and then get him to sing this for karaoke.

I]note. if he says anything about have you got any other songs - just say that unfortunately we live in austere times and you only have the one song[/I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmjwFYWNlO0&feature=related

Depending upon how well he performs ... we'll know ;)
  • SkyknightSkyknight Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jswift909 wrote: »
    Good for you. And I know of thousands of stories of people who have been mistreated, denied their rights, and it happens here in the UK, as well as across the planet.

So good for you - I'm glad you haven't been in any way affected. That must make you about 5-7 years old - because before then the law was against gay people.

The law didn't stop me from eating, drinking, having sex, gaining qualifications or getting a job or buying a house etc etc. So I'd love to know in what way was the law against me please? I'm straight-acting on the whole, to be fair. I don't make sexual references, crude jokes, constantly act like a teenage girl or anything like that, so I can see why blatantly obvious gay people do face problems that I've never encountered. However, I think those people secretly want to be women (or men) and should just get over it and have the operation frankly.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wan't there Rumours a few years ago about Liam Fox's sexuality and few days later those rumours disappeared so i think for Hague this will blow over in a few days:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Should have get him drunk (14 pints should do it) and then get him to sing this for karaoke.

I]note. if he says anything about have you got any other songs - just say that unfortunately we live in austere times and you only have the one song[/I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmjwFYWNlO0&feature=related

Depending upon how well he performs ... we'll know ;)

Ha ha!
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all looks very strange to me and I take your points about Ffion.

If they were having an affair do you think they would really be so indiscreet as to book into a room together ?
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in two minds over this. If they were trying to cover up a secret sexual relationship, openly sharing a hotel room would be a huge and unnecessary error. Mind you, it might have been a case of "no room at the inn" and "oh well we'll share if we must" (nudge nudge wink wink).

However Hague needlessly going on about miscarriages sounds rather like someone protesting too much. Clearly he's trying to explain the lack of children in his marriage ("we've been at it like rabbits but no success"). And the picture is is rather unfortunate in showing two people who clearly enjoy each other's company.

Either way, I like Hague (though not his politics) so I hope he survives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they were having an affair do you think they would really be so indiscreet as to book into a room together ?

If there was anything going on (and we will probably never know) then what better way than booking a twin room? However this then begs the question why they didn't book two single rooms as (presumably) would be approprate?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    :D

rumours about Tories........the word on the quad !

ya couldn't make it up !..............:p

Well, I suppose technically you could make it up swing...
    ecco66 wrote: »
    That's very true.

In the 80s there was no such term as a metrosexual. It was far more black and white. Spend time with homos? Then you must be one too.

Very true but, as far as I understand it, the rumours didn't actually originate in Hague's case because he was particularly known to hang out with 'homos' it was more because he (allegedly) showed zero interest in any relationships with women at the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skyknight wrote: »
    The law didn't stop me from eating, drinking, having sex, gaining qualifications or getting a job or buying a house etc etc. So I'd love to know in what way was the law against me please? I'm straight-acting on the whole, to be fair. I don't make sexual references, crude jokes, constantly act like a teenage girl or anything like that, so I can see why blatantly obvious gay people do face problems that I've never encountered. However, I think those people secretly want to be women (or men) and should just get over it and have the operation frankly.

Previously insurance companies asked very personal questions - for example, they might refuse you insurance for just having an HIV test - that is how people like Ivan Massow and others started. You could not get a Civil Partnership until the end of 2005, so you couldn't have a say in the treatment of your partner if they were in hospital, nor would you be entitled to tenancy rights, or inheritance rights. There were plenty of cases reported of families getting involved and taking all the property because there was no partnership rights in law. There were people being fired for being Gay - in fact that still goes on today, it's just done in a very sly way. Plenty of reported Tribunal cases. Don't forget that some B&Bs have been turning away gay couples. Some insurance companies still don't have a single box for Married/Civil Partnership, but have separate ones (for what reason?). Some companies -- even the dear Co-op -- haven't changed all their systems to include Civil Partnership - so you might get registered as two Married men (not possible) or 'OTHER'. There are countless cases of homophobic 'hate' crime - including the one where a gay police officer was beat up in Manchester. I have so much info in web links I could fill up the DS servers.

I am glad that you don't feel significantly affected - perhaps you weren't around under the Tories last time around, perhaps you've been lucky. I haven't been significantly affected myself - I guess I'm probably fairly straight acting. Nothing wrong with being camp either - why should people be forced in to being straight-acting - I don't want to act - if I wanted to act I'd be an 'actor'. :D

"so I can see why blatantly obvious gay people do face problems that I've never encountered. However, I think those people secretly want to be women (or men) and should just get over it and have the operation frankly"

I can't believe you said that. It's seriously uncool.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we are all forgetting how arrogant some people (politicians or not!) can be. There's a fascinating documentary film called Outrage about closeted American politicians. One of the senators featured, Larry Craig, is caught soliciting for sex with men in a restroom. Does he come out and say "Yes, I am gay man"?

No, he doesn't. He embarks on a media campaign with his wife and continues to deny that he is gay, never has been gay and never will be gay.

Now I'm not saying this is the case for Hague but his actions aren't unheard of from closeted gay men.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting that he had three advisors when predecessors had two and Cameron has pledged to cut back on political advisors,

Source 'guardian.co.uk'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/sep/01/william-hague-statement-media-speculation
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there was anything going on (and we will probably never know) then what better way than booking a twin room? However this then begs the question why they didn't book two single rooms as (presumably) would be approprate?

I may be wrong but I don't believe Hague is gay I suppose that may be because I come from an era were people didn't automatically accuse someone of being gay just because they've slept in the same room as someone else of the same sex.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allafix wrote: »

Either way, I like Hague (though not his politics) so I hope he survives.

I dislike Hague completely, but I doubt there is very much in this story. I was going to say I seriously doubt he is Gay because he has consistently voted against Gay rights, and has apparently a singularly homophobic wit at after-dinner parties. However, the attitudes of some Gay people on here have now made me question this.

Elsewhere the number on 'other' forums who are Gay and would vote Tory is TINY. The usual 'no self-repecting Gay person would vote Tory' is backed up in some polls also. However, clearly there are Gay people who vote Tory --- I know not why. In fact, my best friend is a Tory supporter and Gay. :eek::eek: But I confess to simply not understanding Gay people who don't believe in Gay rights - who don't believe in Gay marriage, who don't believe in Gay adoption. In the UK adoption by Gay people is already law. I'm guessing there are Gay people who also don't believe the age of consent should have been equalised at 16 - I think one Gay person mused why not raise it for everyone. :eek:
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dislike Hague completely, but I doubt there is very much in this story. I was going to say I seriously doubt he is Gay because he has consistently voted against Gay rights, and has apparently a singularly homophobic wit at after-dinner parties. However, the attitudes of some Gay people on here have now made me question this.

Elsewhere the number on 'other' forums who are Gay and would vote Tory is TINY. The usual 'no self-repecting Gay person would vote Tory' is backed up in some polls also. However, clearly there are Gay people who vote Tory --- I know not why. In fact, my best friend is a Tory supporter and Gay. :eek::eek: But I confess to simply not understanding Gay people who don't believe in Gay rights - who don't believe in Gay marriage, who don't believe in Gay adoption. In the UK adoption by Gay people is already law. I'm guessing there are Gay people who also don't believe the age of consent should have been equalised at 16 - I think one Gay person mused why not raise it for everyone. :eek:
    I think you are completely missing the possibility that not all gays will vote purely on gay rights issues. There must be many gay people who believe in Tory free market economics, and so vote that way and accept a life in the closet with less public freedom, while still enjoying their private freedom.

Some closet gay MPs will vote against gay rights to help camouflage their sexual preference, so voting history is no indicator unless the MP is "out".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I may be wrong but I don't believe Hague is gay I suppose that may be because I come from an era were people didn't automatically accuse someone of being gay just because they've slept in the same room as someone else of the same sex.

There is more to the story than that! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't understand why anyone would assume that same-sex friends colleagues, friends or whatever should be gay simply because they share a hotel room.
    If you're away together, surely it's simply polite and practical to share unless one of you has a problem (such as snoring issues or whatever) with doing so?
    I loathe Hague's politics but like and respect him as a person.
    This is a new low.
    Seriously, even if he is actually gay (and I don't think he is) who the hell actually cares? Haven't most people moved on from all this narrow-minded carp?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is more to the story than that! :p

Perhaps but it could also just be 'gutter mongering' by bored bloggers and the media.

I wonder when it will be suggested that if there is no truth in it then Hague will sue whoever has started the rumour, that was always said when any rumours/stories about Brown were released by the media ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    emmeline wrote: »
    I really don't understand why anyone would assume that same-sex friends colleagues, friends or whatever should be gay simply because they share a hotel room.
    If you're away together, surely it's simply polite and practical to share unless one of you has a problem (such as snoring issues or whatever) with doing so?
    I loathe Hague's politics but like and respect him as a person.
    This is a new low.
    Seriously, even if he is actually gay (and I don't think he is) who the hell actually cares? Haven't most people moved on from all this narrow-minded carp?

Like I said it is not if he is gay for me, but if he is a hypocrite. Also was he using public funds improperly? I am gay and would like to see more gay politicians. I do not think being gay is in anyway bad. I might join a thread e.g.if there was speculation about a politician having a straight affair. I would like to see some of our questions answered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps but it could also just be 'gutter mongering' by bored bloggers and the media.

I wonder when it will be suggested that if there is no truth in it then Hague will sue whoever has started the rumour, that was always said when any rumours/stories about Brown were released by the media ;)

You make a good point and one with which I cannot disagree ;)