Options

How does British TV compare to American TV?

Comments

• Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Bester wrote: »
    ^^ Is this the same Doctor Who that's won the Hugo award 4 years out of the last 5? ;)

For context the original Star Trek, TNG and B5 all won 2 apiece.

Perhaps not just popular here?

I must admit, I don't quite get it either, I like it, but I wouldn't exactly consider it to be better than any of the other three aforementioned shows. Weird.

If you watch Doctor Who expecting highly intelligent, high concept, adult sci-fi told seriously, your probably not going to like it, the science while there, is usually just a plot device, it's a family revamp of a classic childrens show about an eccentric man who travels through time and space in a police box, usually with a companion, it doesn't pretend to be anything else.

It can and sometimes does make you think on occasion (the British government rounding up and placing foreign nationals in Nazi-like concentration camps, when a titanic-sized space cruise liner hits London causing a nuclear explosion and requiring a mass-evacuation of it's citizens to the high-immigrant population areas of the North in the episode 'Turn Left' for example [surprisingly dark for a Saturday night teatime]; The Doctor knowingly causing the volcanic eruption behind the destruction of Pompeii to save the rest of the planet in the episode Fires Of Pompeii for another) but overall it's intended as a fun family romp and a good story, that's how it should be approached and that's what it wins awards for. It's not for everyone, but it is very good.
  • Options
    TemporalParadoxTemporalParadox Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    From my experience, American TV has far too many "Commercial Breaks". They seem to have 5 minute breaks every 5 minutes.
    In Britain, the breaks are no more than 5 minutes long ever 15 minutes, splitting an hour long show into 4 segments. And the good ol' BBC has no breaks because of the license fee, which in my opinion is worth it.
    It also appears that US adverts (they call them "Commercials") are of significantly poorer quality (really cheesy and cheap), although we have our share of bad adverts (Go Compare)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kyri wrote: »
    British TV:
    Eastenders
    Harry Hill's TV Burp
    The X Factor
    Britain's Got Talent

I know the above aren't dramas, but they are literally ALL I watch on UK television.

Past:
    Bad Girls
    Footballers Wives

Would like to watch:
    Nothing else...

American TV:
    Dexter
    Glee
    Supernatural
    Desperate Housewives
    30 Rock

Past:
    Lost

Would like to watch:
    House
    Grey's Anatomy

So ultimately, American TV kicks British TV's ass (like what I did there ;))

Hardly fair to compare our reality and soap trash (which America has plenty of, more considering it's size) with their quality fictional output (which Britain has plenty though less of again mostly because of it's size and lack of comparable ad and cable market).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Bollocks. Examples?

Obviously considering that i'm not a fan of the show i don't know the titles of episodes, but there was a Christmas special featuring David Tennant from a few years ago that i caught the back end of once, and the ending scene with him on a pier or something featured horribly forced dialogue from Tennant (i really don't rate him as an actor though, so i suppose it could be just that his delivery was atrocious). Maybe since it's a glorified kids show i should lower my expectations of how well written it should be, but to me the dialogue just never feels natural on the few times i've seen an episode or seen clips of it.

I partly agree with what Geordielady was saying, the older ones were much better. Eccleston was the best of the post 2000 ones. It actually felt a bit different, whereas once Tennant took over it just became...."goofy" (that's the only word i can think of to describe it).
    From my experience, American TV has far too many "Commercial Breaks". They seem to have 5 minute breaks every 5 minutes.
    In Britain, the breaks are no more than 5 minutes long ever 15 minutes, splitting an hour long show into 4 segments. And the good ol' BBC has no breaks because of the license fee, which in my opinion is worth it.
    It also appears that US adverts (they call them "Commercials") are of significantly poorer quality (really cheesy and cheap), although we have our share of bad adverts (Go Compare)

That's why you get a DVR/TiVo/Sky+ and skip the adverts. I haven't watched anything live for years. The frequency of adverts doesn't make a difference to me because i can just skip them.
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's not entirely accurate. Typically a program will end and proceed directly into the next one the first segment lasting about 5-7 minutes followed by ads usually under 2 minutes, next comes about a 7 minute segment followed by about a 3 minute ad break, 7 minute segment 3 minute's of ads, close out the half hour with the last scene and credits then proceed directly into the next program. A half hour program is usually about 23 minutes long when created and hour long programs are approximately 44-47 minutes to accommodate 14-15 minutes of ads per hour.

Do you have any example of our poor quality ads?

My favorite ad right now is this Verizon ad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3_DENeBHWA I like the way Jingle Bells and Our House naturally fit into each other it's cool. Another Verizon ad where they remixed a Christmas song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi6mre8BFAQ also pretty cool. This cars.com ad runs every break during College Gameday on ESPN and it drives me nuts, I wanna punch Timothy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTr6cREZcjk

I will say I don't have experience watching British television, besides the few things I've seen on BBC America.
  • Options
    Dead ParrotDead Parrot Posts: 956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go on any forum for British expats, and ask them what they miss about the UK (apart from family and friends), and one of the first answers you generally get is the TV, and in particular the BBC. So it can't be that bad.
    For my own part, I enjoy both. Doctor Who, is one of my favourite shows, and it's a show that I don't think American television could make. One of the reasons it's the most succesful Sci-Fi show ever (according the Guiness Book of World Records) is that it's uniquely British, but that doesn't make American TV bad. Likewise, British television could never make a show of the scale Band Of Brothers, but that doesn't make British TV bad either..
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Do you have any example of our poor quality ads?

Given the difference in the US and UK economies, it makes no sense to characterize American ads as cheap, like that other person did. That of course applies to the national ads, for big companies. But there is another CLASS of ads in America that for all I know have no counterpart in the UK, and maybe that other person was referring to these ads.

It has already been touched on in this thread that TV in a geographically small, centralized country will inevitably be different than the TV in a huge country like America -- not just big in population, but spread out over huge distances. In a very real sense, the foundation of American TV is local. The networks are just alliances of local stations all over America (which is why they are called "networks" in the first place), and the uniform national programming airs at only certain hours of the day. The rest of the day the local stations air whatever they want. The ads that air in these local hours are usually for small, local businesses, and they are all very cheaply made. And yes, many are tacky, especially those for things like furniture stores and used car dealerships, where tackiness seems to be almost what they are looking to achieve. But there is a definite positive side to this: in America, even if you are running nothing more a tiny little shop, you can afford to have your very own TV advertisement. It will be cheap and amateurish looking, but that's not the point. It's YOURS.

And that makes me wonder: do small businesses in the UK have their own TV ads, or is it just big national companies, given that the channels are all national channels? In America, in a small town, a shop owner only cares about their ad reaching people who live in the same town. On a national channel it makes no sense to have an ad for a small shop tucked away in one end of the country when the ads on the channel are viewed everywhere in the country. And it obviously wouldn't be affordable for the shop owner to pay the cost of having his ad seen by potentially the whole country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe, I'd still like to see an example though. In the last year or two even the local ads here in Central Ohio are becoming higher and higher quality. The local amusement park ran a couple ads, one was a generic ad they ran nationwide for all the parks in the chain. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTX4ugoOwQk
    The other was specific to the amusement park in Ohio, who's market is Ohio, Michigan, and parts of Indiana. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTX4ugoOwQk

I think the days of the amateur ads made with camcorders have passed at least in most places, the technology has advanced to a point where it's easy to make professional looking ads with a desktop computer.

ETA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSIxEN4usU8 here's the other Ohio park in the chain, a little less polished.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Go on any forum for British expats, and ask them what they miss about the UK (apart from family and friends), and one of the first answers you generally get is the TV, and in particular the BBC. So it can't be that bad.

I think it is a matter of getting used to something over a lifetime and then not having it. I have always liked the British ex-pats I have met (all of them), but years ago when I was on a board frequented by a lot of Brit ex-pats living in America there was nothing but constant complaints about how everything in America is shit and everything back home was wonderful.:) And then when an American would pipe in and ask them why they don't just go home, the Brits would say, "But we love it here!":D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The other was specific to the amusement park in Ohio, who's market is Ohio, Michigan, and parts of Indiana. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTX4ugoOwQk

I had a feeling you were talking about Cedar Point when I saw this :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    I think it is a matter of getting used to something over a lifetime and then not having it. I have always liked the British ex-pats I have met (all of them), but years ago when I was on a board frequented by a lot of Brit ex-pats living in America there was nothing but constant complaints about how everything in America is shit and everything back home was wonderful.:) And then when an American would pipe in and ask them why they don't just go home, the Brits would say, "But we love it here!":D

I think a lot of the time, it's a case of "the grass is greener..". In recent times i've found myself diagreeing with an American who thought that British television was wonderful, and American television awful, and someone British who claimed the opposite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a feeling you were talking about Cedar Point when I saw this :D

Yes! Cedar Point is awesome! 17 rollercoasters it takes like 2 days just to ride them all! Ohh and I forgot to put the good ad link in there haha. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZpLXXxk4Bs I didn't notice I just pasted the same link twice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Given the difference in the US and UK economies, it makes no sense to characterize American ads as cheap, like that other person did. That of course applies to the national ads, for big companies. But there is another CLASS of ads in America that for all I know have no counterpart in the UK, and maybe that other person was referring to these ads.

It has already been touched on in this thread that TV in a geographically small, centralized country will inevitably be different than the TV in a huge country like America -- not just big in population, but spread out over huge distances. In a very real sense, the foundation of American TV is local. The networks are just alliances of local stations all over America (which is why they are called "networks" in the first place), and the uniform national programming airs at only certain hours of the day. The rest of the day the local stations air whatever they want. The ads that air in these local hours are usually for small, local businesses, and they are all very cheaply made. And yes, many are tacky, especially those for things like furniture stores and used car dealerships, where tackiness seems to be almost what they are looking to achieve. But there is a definite positive side to this: in America, even if you are running nothing more a tiny little shop, you can afford to have your very own TV advertisement. It will be cheap and amateurish looking, but that's not the point. It's YOURS.

And that makes me wonder: do small businesses in the UK have their own TV ads, or is it just big national companies, given that the channels are all national channels? In America, in a small town, a shop owner only cares about their ad reaching people who live in the same town. On a national channel it makes no sense to have an ad for a small shop tucked away in one end of the country when the ads on the channel are viewed everywhere in the country. And it obviously wouldn't be affordable for the shop owner to pay the cost of having his ad seen by potentially the whole country.

There is a bit of regional advertising around teatime and the regional news on ITV (Ads for Welsh only businesses in Wales, Scottish only businesses in Scotland, ads for businesses specific to a certain areas of England, etcetera) but usually for multi-chain, multi-million pound department stores spread across several cities in those area but not the whole of the UK (or one large store in one of the larger cities) regional rather than town and usually they're of a pretty professional quality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here's a YouTube compilation of the type of cheap, tacky local car dealership TV ads that can STILL be seen on American channels (at least the local channels that I can see in Vancouver, Canada, which are mostly out of Washington state). Sure, these are old, but the newer ones aren't much better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06WmhkeR0os&feature=fvw
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is a bit of regional advertising around teatime and the regional news on ITV (Ads for Welsh only businesses in Wales, Scottish only businesses in Scotland, ads for businesses specific to a certain areas of England, etcetera) but usually for multi-chain, multi-million pound department stores spread across several cities (or one large store in one of the larger cities) in those individual countries rather than town shops.

Thanks for answering my question. And yes, regional chains are still a lot bigger than a single shop, or something like a single used car dealership.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a YouTube compilation of the type of cheap, tacky local car dealership TV ads that can STILL be seen on American channels (at least the local channels that I can see in Vancouver, Canada, which are mostly out of Washington state). Sure, these are old, but the newer ones aren't much better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06WmhkeR0os&feature=fvw

Really, they still make ads like those? Ours are done with camera dollies and stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgiCjGk7c5Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoBwOkg-Lsk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for answering my question. And yes, regional chains are still a lot bigger than a single shop, or something like a single used car dealership.

Put it this way if in Wales (Where I'm from) you might see an ad for a large, faceless (factory sized) kitchen and bathroom design and fitting outlet just outside Cardiff, Swansea or Newport (the three major cities) or their surrounding area employing 40 or more uniformed, badged staff with a decently paid graduate management team, a few thousand customers per month, it's own website and freephone number but if you lived in a small town in the Welsh valleys you wouldn't see an ad for a family run repairs shop with a few hundred customers a month based in your local town centre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Put it this way if in Wales (Where I'm from) you might see an ad for a large (factory sized) kitchen and bathroom design and fitting outlet just outside Cardiff, Swansea or Newport (the three major cities) or their surrounding area employing 40 or more uniformed, badged staff with a decently paid graduate management team and a well known local brand name with a few thousand customers per month paying upwards of a £100 a pop each but if you lived in a small town in the Welsh valleys you wouldn't see an ad for a family run repairs shop with a few hundred customers a month in your local towns centre.

I recently saw a TV ad for a bead shop. A small shop selling nothing but embroidery beads, apparently run by a little old lady with no employees. The ad consisted of nothing but the old lady saying "Hi, here's my bead shop! [Camera pans the length and breadth of the shop. Beads everywhere]. Please come in! I can meet all your bead needs!":D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I recently saw a TV ad for a bead shop. A small shop selling nothing but embroidery beads, apparently run by a little old lady with no employees. The ad consisted of nothing but the old lady saying "Hi, here's my bead shop! [Camera pans the length and breadth of the shop. Beads everywhere]. Please come in! I can meet all your bead needs!":D

:D

Local ads aren't usually fronted by the business owners themselves here like you see in those used American car dealer ads, they're usually done by a voice over artist like the national ones and or several (actors portraying?) staff and look quite professional, probably because of the sorts of finances required to advertise locally here mean they can afford to, if you want to advertise your Newport business to that city's 100/200,000 inhabitants, you have to pay to advertise across Wales and the border and thus to 2/3,000,000 people as local television in Britain is only local to a regional extent and then only really extends to brief news bulletins since the merger of the smaller regional broadcasters that used to share the Channel 3/ITV license outside of primetime in the 90s).
  • Options
    Tegan JovankaTegan Jovanka Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well we have X Factor, thay will have American Factor and have American Idol. We have Strictly Come Dancing, they have Dancing with the stars. We both have the Dark Lord Cowell who will destroy sci-fi and fantasy if he is allowed and the future could be different reality shows. Can aliens sing???????:D;)
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they both have their merits and their failings.

Generally brittish television is considered to be some of the best in the world, in terms of what is allowed to be shown it is light years ahead of US tv. It also tends to favour quality over quantity, most of our series are 6 episodes long while in america it's 22. Happily, as far as I can recall, the UK has never produced such stomach wrenching works as Dawson's creek and One tree hill - quality wise they may be good, the actors may be good but they are just sentimental bull***t.

it call comes down to different tastes

for e.g

you rubbish dawsons creek but imo it is 100000000000000x the show that hollyoaks is(one i kno you like from your post history)

thats just an example,not looking to rubbish your tastes,just making a point

i know people who hardly watch US tv at all and some who only watch it,either way we have best of both worlds here with great imports and good homegrown tv when it is made

im a US tv fan but some uk shows i do like are:

skins-cant imagine US version even coming close
    being human-brilliant british sci-fi show unlike dr who!
    the office-dont find american version funny at all no matter what the critics say
    hustle

overall i guess im trying to say im more than happy with my Sky Plus and the programmes on it!
  • Options
    CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In terms of the amount of channels available and the quality of programmes how does British telly fare up to American television?

just watch british tv and find out as it's mostly American anyway.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    America to me is exciting and interesting. The shows they make have multi layered characters, great plot twists, great story arcs and are plain and simply more enjoyable to watch.

I want to see out programmes be big, bold and self assured. But i always feeled let down. I just wish we could aim for something really great and not just put up with shows like doctor who and the truly mundane period dramas.

If only sky would spend a dime on making some exportable big big production dramas and not these 3 episodes dramas or adaptation of kids books. I eman seriously how much do sky make, it must bne a rediculous amount?!

Hello BBC, SKY, ITV CHANNEL 4, guess what, i'm an adult and i want to see some proper dramas with great characters and great story arcs with more than 6 episodes. More than 6 eps so i can get to feel the story and the characters better. And make it look good, please make it look good. TV is not real life, entertain us with something fantastical not grimy stuff all the time or kids shows.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you give me an example of something American made that's "rubbish" that we didn't export to the UK?
    I'm not currently living in the USA, and even when I did, I tried to avoid watching rubbish and then tried to forget what I did watch. One item I do remember was a teen sitcom called Out of the Blue. To give you an idea of its quality, most of the character names were the same as the actor names, because they didn't want to tax the actors too much. I'm pretty sure this was never shown in the UK.

America produces a lot of TV; we don't buy it all (and probably wouldn't have time to show it all). It's a shame when we don't get to see even the good stuff, like The Colbert Report.
    I think a lot of the time, it's a case of "the grass is greener..". In recent times i've found myself diagreeing with an American who thought that British television was wonderful, and American television awful, and someone British who claimed the opposite.
    Again, they tend to see and watch the best of our stuff.

Although they do tend to see it through rose tinted glasses. Some of them raved about Demons, for example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    Again, they tend to see and watch the best of our stuff.

Although they do tend to see it through rose tinted glasses. Some of them raved about Demons, for example.

I recall that when Luther aired in the UK this past year, British reviews were very mixed, and some viewer comments in places like DS very downright savage. However, in the US, where the show started airing not that long ago, Luther received what I would call almost entirely positive reviews.