Options

Cheap flights to New York

ValentineValentine Posts: 3,853
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm looking at flights for me and my son (aged 13, so classed as an adult) from either Manchester, Liverpool or Birmingham during October half term. We can be flexible about dates within that Saturday to Saturday period.

I've done a trawl of the Internet and gone on various sites but the flights are coming back as really expensive (over £1,500 for both of us return).

Just wondered if anyone had any tips on good websites or ways on getting cheaper flights (ideally with not a lot of stops).

Clearly, gone are the days you could get a return - as I have done in the past! - for £200!!

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    bhappyluvbhappyluv Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Someone recently told me Norwegian Airlines are good for flights to America.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you haven't already, try looking into flights into Newark, as some sites might not recognise it as an NYC airport - flown into there a few times quite cheaply (with United Continental, but they're nowhere near as cheap as they were).

Aer Lingus via Dublin can be quite reasonable.
  • Options
    jessiainscoughjessiainscough Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Have you tried going on skyscanner? I've found they are pretty good for flight comparisons
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me and the missus went to NY in March, was £1050 which was for the return flight from Heathrow to Newark and 3 nights in a decent hotel (The Paramount) near Times Square. I booked through expedia.

You'll probably find it's cheaper to go from London and don't be put off by Newark airport (which is in New Jersey), it's pretty much as close to Manhattan as JFK airport and there's loads of shuttle mini buses, trains and buses go from there all day and night.

Don't forget you'll need to apply for an ESTA (a kind of mini visa, can be done online).
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    I'm looking at flights for me and my son (aged 13, so classed as an adult) from either Manchester, Liverpool or Birmingham during October half term. We can be flexible about dates within that Saturday to Saturday period.

I've done a trawl of the Internet and gone on various sites but the flights are coming back as really expensive (over £1,500 for both of us return).

Just wondered if anyone had any tips on good websites or ways on getting cheaper flights (ideally with not a lot of stops).

Clearly, gone are the days you could get a return - as I have done in the past! - for £200!!

Thanks

Tax is more than that these days.

America is split into seasons, the cheapest season been November to April excluding Christmas & Easter. May/June & September/October are the next cheapest season. Widen your search to London, more airlines & more competition, or look at February half term next year and your fares should be cheaper.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Aer Lingus via Dublin can be quite reasonable.

This is true, and also has the benefit of pre-clearing immigration and customs so you arrive in the USA as a domestic passenger.

Do you have to fly direct? Going via AMS can cut the price down to about £500 per person.

Alternatively, how about Washington? There's enough there to fill a week - and most attractions are free. Perhaps taking a few days in the middle of your weeks holiday to make a trip to New York. Only three hours on the Acela Express from Washington to NYC. £508 MAN to IAD via Brussels
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just had a very quick look .... (just an example as I don't know the exact dates of half terms)
    28th October 2014 departure
    06 November 2014 return

Air France Logo Flight(s) operated by AIR FRANCE via Paris Charles De Gaulle, France

Depart:
    09:00 Manchester, UK (MAN)
    Arrive:
    16:55 New York Newark International (EWR)
    1 Connection
    Economy Class
    Air France Logo Flight(s) operated by AIR FRANCE via Paris Charles De Gaulle, France
    Depart:
    18:25 New York Newark International (EWR)
    Arrive:
    10:20 +1 Day Manchester, UK (MAN)
    1 Connection

Hide Flight

Per person price £395.82 Fare rules Meals info Baggage allowance £396 Total price

More details

£455 from Birmingham to Newark direct with Lufthansa (operated by United)

All on Netflights.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I fly to NYC now I mostly use Delta or American, they're not super cheap, but they're not over expensive either.
    When I was younger, and money was a little tighter, plus I wasn't bothered then what logo was on the plane, or how comfortable it was, the cheapest options were Air India, Kuwait Air, or Icelandic Airways.
    Icelandic went via Reykjavik, but as I said, I didn't care then, all I wanted to do was get there, get into Manhattan and let the good times roll.
    One Christmas Eve I landed at JFK around 4.00 p.m., was met by three girls that I knew, and we took a taxi into lower Manhattan, had a couple of drinks, then they had a reservation at Windows on The World, the restaurant at the top of the World Trade Centre.
    I, with a body clock 5 hours ahead of the girls, fell asleep in my dinner!
    Still, won't be dining up there again anytime soon.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You couldn't pay me to fly Air France via CDG. It may be slightly cheaper but it would be more hassle and take a lot longer.

If you need a flight from Manchester and want to avoid Heathrow (though the BA connection through T5 is pretty efficient) then I'd go via Amsterdam or Dublin in preference to Paris.
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks, everyone, for all the really helpful replies, all very much appreciated.

Finally managed to book return flights for £801 by going out on 23 October, a good bit cheaper than going even a day later. Booked through Wefly. Got a good - I think - deal on a hotel. Did look at airbnb but felt more secure actually booking a hotel and price difference was minimal.