The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 58)

Comments

• Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    contejas wrote: »
    Chux didn't you think her SF final performance was better...

Oh definitely. I think her nerves at the start which she controlled so well added to its appeal for me. But I loved the Final performance too, simply because she was on it from the start.

Have to say I laughed loud and long when the Russian spokesman gave their 12 points to......Russia. They know how to stir the pot and not care.;-)

oooh.....watching the SBS show and in the ad break they are advertising Conchita's album.

aww, a sad moment with the UK act appearing on SBS and Bianca asking for votes with the plea that it's been so long since the UK made the Top 10 that every point counts for them. I feel for her.:(
  • da33431da33431 Posts: 48,902
    Forum Member
    Yup agree with you on that. My last throw of the dice with the juries is increase their size to 15, drop the 3 lowest and the 3 highest ranks and they can only hear the audio stream...(allows them to focus on the song as they're clearly taken in by gimmicks ;) )

And replace hit potential with originality...these moronic jury members are looking for hits that were so last year (or last 5 years ago)...;)

Never going to happen so #DownWithJuries...

And shove all the diaspora countries in one semi final!

Can't agree with you on audio only but maybe having the chance to watch once and then an audio only listen?
  • Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup agree with you on that. My last throw of the dice with the juries is increase their size to 15, drop the 3 lowest and the 3 highest ranks and they can only hear the audio stream...(allows them to focus on the song as they're clearly taken in by gimmicks ;) )

And replace hit potential with originality...these moronic jury members are looking for hits that were so last year (or last 5 years ago)...;)

Never going to happen so #DownWithJuries...

And shove all the diaspora countries in one semi final!

I don't know... Latvia came second place with the juries. It's certainly better than the stagnant pool we had in the early 2000s with 100% televote. And it's not like they're actually dissuading upbeat songs, which may well happen if they're made to vote only on the audio, Israel did very well in the jury vote. I think your only real objection with the juries is that they handed Sweden the victory. :D
  • contejascontejas Posts: 8,958
    Forum Member
    Oh definitely. I think her nerves at the start which she controlled so well added to its appeal for me. But I loved the Final performance too, simply because she was on it from the start.

Have to say I laughed loud and long when the Russian spokesman gave their 12 points to......Russia. They know how to stir the pot and not care.;-)

oooh.....watching the SBS show and in the ad break they are advertising Conchita's album.

I loved "Mother Russia"....:D

Conchita's headmistress act was also funny when she was trying to tell the boo-ers off midway...
    Forum Member
    Anyone seen the front of The Sunday Times today?

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/602240350980276224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why was Joe 90 singing for Italy?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    da33431 wrote: »
    Anyone seen the front of The Sunday Times today?

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/602240350980276224

:D:D:D Love that!
    Forum Member
    Edwin Okli wrote: »
    I don't know... Latvia came second place with the juries. It's certainly better than the stagnant pool we had in the early 2000s with 100% televote. And it's not like they're actually dissuading upbeat songs, which may well happen if they're made to vote only on the audio, Israel did very well in the jury vote. I think your only real objection with the juries is that they handed Sweden the victory. :D

The juries placing Latvia second is just amazing, definitely job well done by them :)
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe we should have 10 jurors instead? Or even 15. Or go back to the jury just picking top 10. I wonder how Italy would have fared in that old system.
  • FrancyFrancy Posts: 10,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    If San Remo is anything to go by, we'd still be voting 3 weeks later ;-) I don't think Italy would have hosted tbh and we avoided the controversy of a Russian win so the right person won in terms of hosting- Still a bit gutted that it was so predictable in the end though

Italy would have hosted.... we are not a third world country, you know. We are perfectly capable of organizing an event.

After last night, I am very tempted to not watch Eurovision anymore. It's more and more a farse that doesn't have anything to do with actual music and merit. I hate the rubbish Sweden presents every year, and the fact that they keep winning or coming very close to is rage-worthy. I'm sick of the hold that country seems to have on the competition.

The fact that last night it happened at the detriment of Italy makes it even worse.... of course the only time the jury invalidates the winner of the televoting it has to happen to us. Such a bitter disappointment.
    Forum Member
    DamienS wrote: »
    Maybe we should have 10 jurors instead? Or even 15. Or go back to the jury just picking top 10. I wonder how Italy would have fared in that old system.

Italy would have beaten Russia for second I reckon.
  • cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DamienS wrote: »

Whilst I agree, I'd love to see the San Marino delegations look of horror if they had to find more jurors
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    Haven't seen too much said about the Spanish flop.. what are people thoughts on it? Unsurprised? I always thought it's chances depended very much on how it was stages, and I don't think the staging was great.

Still in mourning. :cry:

Edurne did sound very on edge last night, she was much better in rehearsals and staging wise I didn't think it looked good that you could see Giuseppe doing all the cleaning after the strip down.
    Forum Member
    Francy wrote: »
    Italy would have hosted.... we are not a third world country, you know. We are perfectly capable of organizing an event.

After last night, I am very tempted to not watch Eurovision anymore. It's more and more a farse that doesn't have anything to do with actual music and merit. I hate the rubbish Sweden presents every year, and the fact that they keep winning or coming very close to is rage-worthy. I'm sick of the hold that country seems to have on the competition.

The fact that last night it happened at the detriment of Italy makes it even worse.... of course the only time the jury invalidates the winner of the televoting it has to happen to us. Such a bitter disappointment.

I used to feel the same about Ireland in the mid 90's :blush:
  • contejascontejas Posts: 8,958
    Forum Member

I think a little broader than that, but you are entitled to your opinion. Latvia had a great stage show too as the songs for Sweden or Latvia were not particularly accomplished. My point is that if the stage show is great; it's up to the audience to decide whether they liked it not the juries. In regards to Sweden they did, in regards to Latvia they didn't. I obviously thought Latvia was the more superior 'stage show' but the audience decided otherwise and fair play. :cool:

EDIT: I actually missed answering your point. That's why coupled with originality I want them to listen to an audio stream only...if you don't get my gist I don't really care...:p
    Forum Member
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    Still in mourning. :cry:

Edurne did sound very on edge last night, she was much better in rehearsals and staging wise I didn't think it looked good that you could see Giuseppe doing all the cleaning after the strip down.

I didn't hear a decent rehearsal by Edurne all week, shame as I love the song..

I'd say the four worst vocals last night were Poland, Germany, Spain and Albania (sorry brb) :o
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    Whilst I agree, I'd love to see the San Marino delegations look of horror if they had to find more jurors

I said as much last night, when expanding the juries came up. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching the voting recap just now and Albania following Russia really doesn't do Elhaida any favours.
  • TerryPTerryP Posts: 11,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the subject of Spain, I always knew it was going to flop.

It seems like every year the Spanish entry is revealed fans go crazy over it and hype it up to be one of the best things ever, I admit I loved both Pastora and Ruth's entries so I may be a bit guilty of it myself.

But inevitably it is just never going to do well with the general public and they naturally flop, although 10th for Pastora and Ruth shouldn't really be seen as a flop.

One more thing on the juries, I think what may have cost Italy was them being told to vote on hit potential, I never agreed with that rule, why should the winner be the one that sounds like it would get to number 1 in the charts, doesn't make it the best song. And the televoters didn't go with the song that had the most hit potential according to the juries.

Maybe if they were not directed on how to vote and just simply voted on what they felt was the best song we would have seen Italy win, guess we will never know because none of the jury members have to provide reasoning for why they scored like they did.
    Forum Member
    At least we won't have SVT making a trip to Italy next year asking them why they gave them no points and showing poor members of the public pictures of Måns :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was hoping for a balls-to-the-wall performance of You Are Unstoppable by Conchita. Shame they had her mix it up with Firestorm.
    Forum Member
    I liked Firestorm :o I hope it's on Spotify

Loic up to 18 on UK iTunes :)
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else think that Europe was just being nice to Australia by giving them points as they were new to the contest?
  • Drew PeacockDrew Peacock Posts: 12,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conty would have been upfront in a Viking helmet with inflatable broadsword if Jon Henrik had been representing Sweden. It's all about the music. :kitty:
    Forum Member
    Conty would have been upfront in a Viking helmet with inflatable broadsword if Jon Henrik had been representing Sweden. It's all about the music. :kitty:

And it's great we all have different tastes! :cool: I would never thought conty would have loved Belgium so I'm always being surprised. I can usually guess Lisa's faves though ;-)
This discussion has been closed.