Options

Windows 10 Parental Controls

StigStig Posts: 12,446
Forum Member
✭✭
This is just a heads up for anyone planning to use Parental Controls in Windows 10 - they don't work.

Before we get into a debate about whether you should lock down PCs for kids; my experience is trying to lock down a publicly accessed PC to restrict what sites it can visit.

Windows 8, for all its faults, had a really good parental control. You setup a 'child' account and you could restrict what programs they could run, when, whether they could use the Store, and most important of me you could have a whitelist of websites.

I'm sure this will all work in Windows 10 eventually, but at the moment it's a mess. You have to create a Microsoft account for each 'child' which means giving the account an email address. As part of the process, that account is sent an invitation to join the 'family' it's at this point it all fails. No matter how many times I send the email from the Microsoft webpage, it is never received by the child account. I suspect it is never being sent.

So, if parental control is important to you and you were using the system in Windows 8, I suggest you wait until MS fixes it, or use a different system.

Comments

• Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you reporting your findings to MS?
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you reporting your findings to MS?

Good point. How do I do that? I wasn't an 'Insider'.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Good point. How do I do that? I wasn't an 'Insider'.

Type 'Windows Feedback' in a blank tab next to the Start icon. When a search menu pops up, click on a grey bar (just above 'web') at top. This will open up a dialog window of Feedback.

Click on 'Add new feedback' at bottom of the pop-up dialog, then make your contribution.