Flat above shop - noise problems

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been living above a cake shop for the last 4 months and the noise proofing between the flat and shop is so poor you can hold a conversation between both without raising your voice. This has led to a long running dispute and the shop owner and her relatives tring to drive me out by keeping me awake at night by hiding in the back room in the shop with door locked and light off and making noises at intervals through the night to mess up my sleep.

The letting agent refuses to believe me and the shop owner denies it. Even my relatives have pretty much said I'm imagining it.

Do any of you lovely DS'ers have any ideas how to deal with it?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'd try and find somewhere else to live, it sounds like a nightmare.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the last bit about "hiding in the shop at night with the lights off and doors locked" is not believable to me either IMO.

unfortunately there probably isn't a lot you can do about it, the shop below is entitled to go about their business.

easiest advice... move.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    the last bit about "hiding in the shop at night with the lights off and doors locked" is not believable to me either IMO.
    I don't see why not, there are some very, very pathetic people out there. But it does seem unlikely, lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »
    I don't see why not, there are some very, very pathetic people out there. But it does seem unlikely, lol.
    There are two back rooms, the one where the noise is coming from right under my bed always has the door shut and when i challenged the shop owner about it she just gave me a big smirk and said, 'that's the toilet'. It's about half the width of the shop and about 4 foot deep though so easily big enough to fit an airbed in. The other room under my bathroom with a work top and sink in it always has the door left open

I've also noticed once or twice when I've taken an electric meter reading for the shop late at night around 10pm and then another one in the morning about 8am before anyone has been in the shop often several KW hours have been used as if there's been a heater on in there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's a bakers... there will be industrial fridges etc in there. of course electricity will be used.

sorry to say, but you sound a bit obsessed by this (and not in a good way). you're now suggesting they have someone sleeping in the toilet over night just to annoy you?

besides, so what if there are noises at strange hours in the shop below? as long as they are not excessive noises then they are not doing anything wrong.

it's not their fault the sound insulation between the shop and the flat is poor.

as I said, for your own good (as it appears to be affecting to adversely), move out.
  • BK.BK. Posts: 1,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bowland37 wrote: »
    There are two back rooms, the one where the noise is coming from right under my bed always has the door shut and when i challenged the shop owner about it she just gave me a big smirk and said, 'that's the toilet'. It's about half the width of the shop and about 4 foot deep though so easily big enough to fit an airbed in. The other room under my bathroom always has the door left open

I've also noticed once or twice when I've taken an electric meter off the outside shop meter late at night around 10pm and then another one in the morning about 8am before anyone has been in the shop often several KW hours have been used as if there's been a heater on in there.

Hold up - you think someone is sleeping in a staff toilet in a cake shop overnight just so they can make noises and disturb your sleep?

Read that paragraph again.

I think you need to speak to your GP asap as this sounds more like extreme paranoia more than anything else :confused: Even if it was true, which let's be honest, the chances are very, very low, but still possible - but even if true, nobody is going to believe you anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's a bakers... there will be industrial fridges etc in there. of course electricity will be used.

sorry to say, but you sound a bit obsessed by this (and not in a good way). you're now suggesting they have someone sleeping in the toilet over night just to annoy you?
    The shop is currently empty as the previous owner moved out and her friend has taken it over and is in the process of redecorating it. AFAIK there are no fridges or equipment in there yet.

Things I've had muttered at me in the middle of the night include 'we're going to get you out', 'gay boy' etc.
    i go down and the door is locked and the lights are off.

I've also had them let off an air horn in there at 7am one morning. I go down and the door is locked and there is no sign of anyone in the front of the shop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The shop is currently empty as the previous owner moved out and her friend has taken it over and is in the process of redecorating it. AFAIK there are no fridges or equipment in there yet..

funny how you never mentioned it was an empty cake shop originally.

unless you have been inside then you can't even guess that there isn't.
    Things I've had muttered at me in the middle of the night include 'we're going to get you out', 'gay boy' etc.

i'm sorry but i think you are suffering from paranoia.
    i would seek medical advice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The shop is currently empty as the previous owner moved out and her friend has taken it over and is in the process of redecorating it. AFAIK there are no fridges or equipment in there yet.

i go down and the door is locked and the lights are off.

I've also had them let off an air horn in there at 7am one morning. I go down and the door is locked and there is no sign of anyone in the front of the shop.

Seriously - see your GP.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    start looking for somewhere else
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm sorry but i think you are suffering from paranoia. i would seek medical advice.
    So when the previous owner shouted a death threat at me as she was moving her gear out I imagined that as well did I? Now her mate is in there up to the same tricks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So when the previous owner shouted a death threat at me as she was moving her gear out I imagined that as well did I? Now her mate is in there up to the same tricks.

in which case definitely move somewhere else then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's strange how extra information always comes out in advice threads only after the OP fails to get the kind of replies they're looking for.

Always found that strange, myself. Quite an odd phenomenon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BK. wrote: »
    It's strange how extra information always comes out in advice threads only after the OP fails to get the kind of replies they're looking for.

Always found that strange, myself. Quite an odd phenomenon.

yeah, you'd think the fact that the shop is empty and death threats had been given would be important points mentioned at the very start.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are two back rooms, the one where the noise is coming from right under my bed always has the door shut and when i challenged the shop owner about it she just gave me a big smirk and said, 'that's the toilet'. It's about half the width of the shop and about 4 foot deep though so easily big enough to fit an airbed in. The other room under my bathroom with a work top and sink in it always has the door left open

I've also noticed once or twice when I've taken an electric meter reading for the shop late at night around 10pm and then another one in the morning about 8am before anyone has been in the shop often several KW hours have been used as if there's been a heater on in there.

Have you got access to the shop? Why do you creep around their property at night?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elke21 wrote: »
    Have you got access to the shop? Why do you creep around their property at night?
    The electric meter is outside next to mine with no cover on it and there is a large glass front window. I have no access to the shop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah, you'd think the fact that the shop is empty and death threats had been given would be important points mentioned at the very start.
    Is shouting 'die devil die' at someone a death threat though? I wasn't sure so that's why I didn't originally mention it.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elke21 wrote: »

Just what I was thinking. I assume you had no right to be there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Just what I was thinking. I assume you had no right to be there.
    My front door is right next to the shop door. I have every right to stand outside my front door and look into the shop. especially if I'm being kept awake by noise coming from within.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Serious question : Do you smoke weed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mummymaz wrote: »
    Serious question : Do you smoke weed?
    No I don't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't.

Go get some help
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The electric meter is outside next to mine with no cover on it and there is a large glass front window. I have no access to the shop.

But what has their meter readings got to do with you?

Somebody may stay there overnight, however it is none of your business what they do there. If you can't handle the noise which comes with living above some businesses, move.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No offence but it does sound very unlikely. However, there are some very sad people out there and if you're really convinced it's true, record the sounds. If the sound insulation is as bad as you say, it should record even on a cheap dictaphone I should think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dolls wrote: »
    No offence but it does sound very unlikely. However, there are some very sad people out there and if you're really convinced it's true, record the sounds. If the sound insulation is as bad as you say, it should record even on a cheap dictaphone I should think.

if it's just talking or general noise related to the business within working hours though, then there is nothing that any authority could or would do about it.

only excessive noise is actionable.

the OP says it just normal conversation level noises.