Dexter Newbie

Comments

• SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    As I said, really looking forward to S4 when I get to it, but still think it'll be hard to see John Lithgow and not think "It's Dick, where's Harry and Sally and Tommy" (if you don't get what I mean, then there's not point in trying to explain)

Never watched Third Rock From The Sun, but I did have fond memories of him from when I was younger in that Bigfoot And The Hendersons movie. Earlier this year I flicked onto that movie one Sunday morning and I was worried Bigfoot would come to a gruesome end every time George was on screen with him :eek::cry:
  • David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Once on screen, the thought won't even enter you mind.

Indeed. Lithgow totally owns Trinity. He really does "become" that character.

My god, what a performance.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    As I said, really looking forward to S4 when I get to it, but still think it'll be hard to see John Lithgow and not think "It's Dick, where's Harry and Sally and Tommy" (if you don't get what I mean, then there's not point in trying to explain)

cant see it happening he is so far removed from that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Have 2 eps left offseason 3, Dex has just been kidnapped. Obviously he survives but can't wait to see how. 2 ep finale of s3 on weds, then season 4 my place fridaynight, PHONE WILL BE TURNED OFF!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I'm a huge fan of dexter now. I started late as well, but after I started watching I was hooked
  • J-JJ-J Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 4 is the best, really on edge stuff.

All the seasons have been of a very high standard, but i have to admit season 6 felt a bit of a let down, around the halfway pint some of the episodes went a little weak, but thats just my opinion.
  • fairy_fairy_ Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've just finished watching season 4 and definitely thought it was the best so far. I can't remember what series it was, but there was a definite point in season 2 / 3 where I found it dragging a bit. I didn't enjoy season 1 from the very first episode either, it took a while to get into, but we watched the last half of the season very quickly so it definitely picked up for me.
  • rufnek2k6rufnek2k6 Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 4 is by far the best. Didnt think I could be scared of John Lithgow after only watching him in 3rd rock and the comedy movies, but by the end of that season he had me by the balls.
  • J-JJ-J Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rufnek2k6 wrote: »
    Season 4 is by far the best. Didnt think I could be scared of John Lithgow after only watching him in 3rd rock and the comedy movies, but by the end of that season he had me by the balls.

He was amazing in it wasn't he, superbly acted, like you said having seen him in 3rd rock i would never have thought he was so capable of playing such a serious role.

He is one of my all time favourite 'bad guys' :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Season 6 re-run this week, impending Sunday's new episode. It's actually not as bad as I first thought it was. Now I know what the end game was i'm surprised to see I didn't notice it coming a mile off from the start. It definitely hints towards it.
    Professor Gellar was killed by Travis
    Personally season 5 was the weakest for me based solely on the way season 4 played out and the fact I watched them back to back initially.
  • cf80cf80 Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    In order, my favourites would be season 1, 4, 6, 2, 5 and 3.

It's great tv although I do feel that the plot twists and how Dexter escapes getting caught are getting a bit predictable and contrived in comparison to earlier seasons. He puts himself in more and more crazy situations in terms of his kills but yet he gets away with it (I'm looking at you end of season 5!!!).

Season 4 was very good but I think it had been so hyped that it didn't live up to my expectations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 4 was outstanding, truly brilliant.
    Lithgow as Trinity was a masterstroke, he was amazing
    Season 1 was great, extremely enjoyable.
    Season 2 was also great, the Dokes/Dexter feud was really enjoyable.
    Season 6 was a return to the best of Dexter for my mind
    the pairing of Quinn and Batista was a riot
    , after Season 5 which was a let down.
    Olmos and Hanks was another great piece of casting
    Season 3....bottom of the heap. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't that good either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fairy_ wrote: »
    We've just finished watching season 4 and definitely thought it was the best so far. I can't remember what series it was, but there was a definite point in season 2 / 3 where I found it dragging a bit. I didn't enjoy season 1 from the very first episode either, it took a while to get into, but we watched the last half of the season very quickly so it definitely picked up for me.

Season 3 drags in places,
    it begins really well and fast paced with the killing of Oscar and the hunt for Freebo, but once it gets bogged down in the relationship between Dexter and Miguel it does slow down a lot and the interspersed kills don't really work that well. Also the Deb/Anton thing drags a bit as well as the Gianna/Batista story, it is too much of the relationship sorties at once i would say. However, the Skinner story takes off quite nicely towards the end and the final face-off between Dexter and the Skinner is really well done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Khewco wrote: »
    Season 6 re-run this week, impending Sunday's new episode. It's actually not as bad as I first thought it was. Now I know what the end game was i'm surprised to see I didn't notice it coming a mile off from the start. It definitely hints towards it.
    Professor Gellar was killed by Travis
    Personally season 5 was the weakest for me based solely on the way season 4 played out and the fact I watched them back to back initially.

I rewatched it myself
    to see if anyone interracted with Gellar, they did it all really well and subtly and it really worked, i never spotted that twist coming :)
  • scoobyju1scoobyju1 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you say Sundays new episode, is that in the US?

I was a Dexter newbie this time last year. I flew through seasons 1 & 2 but then really struggled with S3. It took me a while...about 8 months :D but I finally got through it.

I've recently watched half of S3, 4 & 5 in just over a month & currently on S6.

I'm addicted! I'll be gutted when I've finally caught up & waiting impatiently for S7 to start. Does anyone know when it'll start in the uk?
    Forum Member
    scoobyju1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when it'll start in the uk?

Normally after the new year sometime, I think January.. I'm not 100% on that though, as I normally acquire Dexter via other services.
  • scoobyju1scoobyju1 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Khewco wrote: »
    Normally after the new year sometime, I think January.. I'm not 100% on that though, as I normally acquire Dexter via other services.

Thanks.

Think I'll have to take my time with S6 then, don't want to be too long without it :o
  • fairy_fairy_ Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is season 8 going to be the last?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member

Trust me! You you will see John lithgow in a complely different light when watching series 4.
    I grew up watching 3rd rock from the sun, watching it every day after school was a routine but as soon as I started watching season 4 his character of dick never sprang into my head.

His awards he won for the role was much deserved!
    Forum Member
    Wow this is a popular thread. My plan is tomorrow night last 2 eps of S3, then the DVD extras (incase there's spoilers in the cast interviews etc) then Friday start S4, 2eps a time friday and wednesday night. I know that's a bit OCD but it fits with my life schedule etc, and something to look forward to that's "me time." Then will need to pause before S5 as TWD will be back then, and they both deserve my full attention.
    Forum Member
    Then will need to pause before S5 as TWD will be back then, and they both deserve my full attention.

Just a heads up, you won't want to pause after the way season 4 plays out. Might want to reshuffle that schedule a bit
    Forum Member
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    I rewatched it myself
    to see if anyone interracted with Gellar, they did it all really well and subtly and it really worked, i never spotted that twist coming :)
    Honestly, I didn't see it coming, then when it happened it sort of began to make sense, I quite liked it though Gellar was to Travis what Harry is to Dexter
  • FlickJFlickJ Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    As a number of people here have said season 4 is just genius TV - the final episode probably my fav episode of any TV show ever. IMO S3 was the weakest but still very enjoyable. Cant wait for season 7 now :)
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it doesnt drop,you will jsut like more than others

1,2,4 are all amazing imo, but 3 and 5 are still great jsut not as good

im 2 episodes into s6 and its strong as always
    Forum Member
    So did my 2 part S3 finale last night. E11- the"kidnap" cliffhanger, OK very clever, didn't see that coming, nice light touch. E12 finale - did they not know if there was going to be another season, as felt a bit "happy ever after" (by Dexter standards).
    OK tomorrow start 2 eps of S4 (repeat to self, he's not Dick, he's not Dick).