Options

What shows did you used to watch that are now considered politically incorrect?

Comments

• Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Armi wrote: »
    I took me glasses to an Irish optician on Friday. He said I've no glass so I'll board 'em up while monday mornin'.

:D

Bernard was actually an incredibly talented comedian. I will never understand why he felt the need to put the racist crap in there. Totally self-defeating, as 99% of his act was absolutely fine and very funny.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    I didn't watch it at the time, as I wasn't born, but I was watching some Monty Python's Flying Circus on Youtube a while back. There are quite a few sketches that wouldn't be considered acceptable today.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Love thy neighbour, we all giggled at their little nicknames for each other as kids, we saw no malice in either man.

Mind your language, again it just made us giggle
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Mind Your Language.

First one that came to my mind!
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Oh and Spike Milligan and his 'pakistani Daleks' scene, :D
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulsh1 wrote: »
    I remember "It Ain't Half Hot Mum"was full of racist and homophobic jokes.

I'm also pretty sure some of the Indian characters were actually white actors blacked up!

IAHHM was innuendo, funny, tongue in cheek but I don't think it was homophobic and racist though the BBC would agree with you and has said it was so racist that it has been banned from ever being repeated again.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2583111/It-aint-half-daft-BBC-ban-racist-Dads-Army-creator-JIMMY-PERRY-BBCs-refusal-repeats-greatest-hits.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10321781/Banning-It-Aint-Half-Hot-Mum-from-TV-is-a-shame-creator-says-as-non-PC-moments-are-just-historical-truth.html

http://www.express.co.uk/expressyourself/252180/It-Ain-t-Half-Hot-Mum-racist-Don-t-make-me-laugh

Personally I think its a silly decision and as for "blacked up" Muhammad the Char Wallah was played by Dino Shafeek a Bangladeshi actor, Rumxna Punkha Wallah played by Babar Bhatti, a Brit actor of Pakistini origin, and rangi ram the bearer played by Michael Bates used a tan not blacked up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dads Army. Depicted British soldiers as elderly buffoons. Typical leftie BBC stuff.

Surely it only featured the home guard. Whenever actual soldiers appeared they were portrayed as immensely professional.

When I was a child, before native americans were universally depicted as spiritual and wise, I used to watch a programme that featured Big Chief Dirtyface and Little He-He. I have no idea what it was. :blush:
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    But it is easily as vile as 'Mind Your Language'.

I never thought of Mind Your Language as vile, it was just of its time. I used to love the Pakistani guy with the hat who sat at the front. :D

There was plenty of racism in Fawlty Towers too, but it was harmless stuff really. Basil 's face when that black doctor comes in in The Germans. :D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyone wants to watch a six year old gyrating round a pole and singing that she needs a man, look no further than Minipops... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqNAIyLPsb8 You can even watch a five year old in heavy lipstick singing... well...that she likes to make love...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh7NxD9fTGM
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    I never thought of Mind Your Language as vile, it was just of its time. I used to love the Pakistani guy with the hat who sat at the front. :D

There was plenty of racism in Fawlty Towers too, but it was harmless stuff really. Basil 's face when that black doctor comes in in The Germans. :D:D

You see I would fall short of calling MYL real racism, they all took the pi** and picked at each other , to me racism is nasty and used to hurt , degrade and denigrate a person. This was done in humour and one does question was it really racist when Nigeria, Kenya and Sri Lanka for example liked it so much they made their own versions and lets face it the residents of those countries have all been victims of racism themselves so you would think they would think hard before doing so .
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Professionals, The Sweeney and other British cop shows that saw a fair share of smoking, slapping women around, stomping over the legal boundaries (such as beating up a suspect) and drinking on the job.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    There was plenty of racism in Fawlty Towers too, but it was harmless stuff really. Basil's face when that black doctor comes in in The Germans. :D:D

I've always felt that was allowable as Basil was concussed at the time, normally he's too busy avoiding Sybil to be racist;-)
    An interesting point on "Mind your language", "It aint alf hot mum" and "Love thy neighbour" is that they were often one of the few places where we did see non-white actors - and they usually got one over on the stupid bigots too.
    I suppose "Rising damp" still stands up though, as Rigsby is clearly a buffoon who always falls for Phillip's tales:D
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not something I watched at the time (not benefit of hindsight but we really did think this was creepy and weird as it aired). Minipops.

ETA: Sorry wonkey, that'll teach me not to refresh the page!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    You see I would fall short of calling MYL real racism, they all took the pi** and picked at each other , to me racism is nasty and used to hurt a degrade and denigrate a person. This was done in humour and one does question was it really racist when Nigeria, Kenya and Sri Lanka for example liked it so much they made their own versions and lets face it the residents of those countries have all been victims of racism themselves so you would think they would think hard before doing so .

I absolutely agree. It merely had a lighthearted and playful tone with national stereotypes, and was never malicious. Nobody was shown up as being stupid, and all the characters bounced off each other, with often cheesy misunderstanding, farce and other gags. I loved all the characters because as a kid, to me they were kind of different and exciting.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I suppose "Rising damp" still stands up though, as Rigsby is clearly a buffoon who always falls for Phillip's tales:D

I did like that. Then again, I always had a soft spot for Leonard Rossiter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some things like 'Love Thy Neighbour' and, to some extent, Alf Garnett, walked a fine line as they were actually trying to make the racist characters hateful or laughable, but accidentally Alf Garnett had some people agreeing with him. (They'd be UKIP or Tory voters now, I guess). Harry Enfield had the same problem with Loadsamoney, which he had to kill as he created the character to make people hate that mentality - and yet some loved him and identified with him. I was on an American forum the other day and saw someone from the US say 'peeps' and thought 'I bet you have no idea where that came from in our culture....' Stavros was an affectionate portrayal, (nice bit of early Paul Whitehouse writing, I think?) but now would offend many.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    I recently watched some episodes of "The Goodies" and noticed that in quite a few of them, they blacked up. I'm sure the "South Africa" (Apart-height) episode would be considered very un-PC these days (in particular for the use of a variation of the N-word) despite the fact that they were savaging the concept of racial discrimination.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in the 1970's the Black and White Minsteral Show, I loved watching that, great entertainment.

I have only seen clips of that show and it did not appeal to me. Ironically, that is where Lenny Henry made his first TV appearance?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think some things like 'Love Thy Neighbour' and, to some extent, Alf Garnett, walked a fine line as they were actually trying to make the racist characters hateful or laughable, but accidentally Alf Garnett had some people agreeing with him. (They'd be UKIP or Tory voters now, I guess).

Wasn't there a story where a member of the public shouted something congratulatory about Alf Garnett's racism to Warren Mitchell and he replied along the lines of. "We're taking the piss out of people like you" or something?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I have only seen clips of that show and it did not appeal to me. Ironically, that is where Lenny Henry made his first TV appearance?

OMG.

He started on something called 'New Faces' which was an early forerunner of those talent shows we have now where someone is sarcastic to hopefuls. In those days we didn't have sob stories, though. Lenny's schtick played on the innate racism of his audience, as he started (I think?) doing an impersonation of someone very white, with his back to audience, then turned round - he was not only a good impersonator, but also very, very young.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG.

He started on something called 'New Faces' which was an early forerunner of those talent shows we have now where someone is sarcastic to hopefuls. In those days we didn't have sob stories, though. Lenny's schtick played on the innate racism of his audience, as he started (I think?) doing an impersonation of someone very white, with his back to audience, then turned round - he was not only a good impersonator, but also very, very young.

Yes I have just looked it up. You are right, he did start on New Faces, but in 1976 he went to tour on the Black and White Minstrel Show.

The following article refers to it on the 5th paragraph down:

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2009/feb/06/lenny-henry-career-family-othello
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Jim'll Fix It.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Mrs Brown's Boys. Terribly demeaning of the Irish.
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Mind Your Language. :blush:

http://youtu.be/u1QxzpWbbdI

And when EastEnders had Irish people going about on donkeys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=TheTruth1983;71886366]Only Fools and Horses would probably get in trouble these days.

I can only imagine the backlash against Men Behaving Badly if it were starting today :eek:[/QUOTE]
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Allo Allo for me too. Certain episodes of Only Fools had some pretty un-PC elements, too. Oh, and George and Mildred. What else...?

Only Fools and Horses is an interesting example. There are certainly references made by Dell Boy. Examples I can remember is the episode Danger UXD with the inflatable dolls and how he describes them. Also, the way he refers to women can be seen un pc.

In contrast, Rodney who is of a younger generation would not refer to ethnicity in derogatory way. This is because he represents the first generation of people that would go to school with people from West Indian backgrounds. Therefore, he would be more likely to receptive to integration whereas Dell came from a different generation.

That makes ask the question, is the racial references implicit in order to highlight this contrast?