Options

What are your thoughts on theme parks.

SpouthouseSpouthouse Posts: 1,046
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just had a pleasant day at Drayton Manor Park with my 4-year-old son. In the past I've moaned about theme parks a bit (cost, queues, litter, things not running). However, I must say I think Drayton Manor do a pretty good job overall.

I wonder what people think of other theme parks and family attractions.

Comments

• Options
    Brad_AdamsonBrad_Adamson Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    I'd think they were great if I had them to myself... but I have an extreme phobia of people vomiting near me so they terrify me
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't been to one in this country for at least 10 years but I would like to take my nieces and nephew to one in a year or so when the youngest is a little bit older to enjoy it. I've never had a bad experience at one, yes they can be busy and some rides have big queues but in general I think they are ok
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love them. Usually visit either Alton or Thorpe each year.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At peak times, hate them. All that queuing up - no thanks. Midweek though anytime apart from July-Sept and they're fab. Thorpe Park for me where I can let out my inner girl and shriek with fear on some of the rides :D
  • Options
    Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    I would love them if it weren't for the amount of time spent queuing to get on the rides.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't been to one in 8 years (Alton Towers the last time I went).
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    We go to m&d twice a year, its not on the vast scale as others and it is reasonably priced, never giant queues, and you can get all rides in usually in 7 hours :-)

I do like Blackpool too, its easy to get to, however hoping to learn to drive and get down to Flamingo Land, Alton towers etc. not sure I would manage it via public transport etc just now!
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell on earth in the school holidays.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »

I suppose with Blackpool I took the kids down during our easter and summer break, so the schools down there were still in :)
  • Options
    Herbet_JamesHerbet_James Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    We buy Merlin premium passes, and get access to all Merlin attractions including all Seaworlds, Londoneye, etc. But we mainly use them for themeparks Chessington, Alton Towers, Thorpe Park.

We always have a fantastic family day out and really enjoy ourselves.
  • Options
    Herbet_JamesHerbet_James Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »

First world problems Eh,;-)
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Great for kids. Hell for adults.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Used to bloody love a yearly trip to Alton Towers in the days before I had kids! But they're too young for it yet, so it's likely I'll need to wait another few years! I never paid a full fare in all the times I went. There was always a two for one deal available on cereal packets or in newspapers etc.

I do hear good reports about Drayton Manor in terms of being good for younger kids so I do want to check it out sometime soon. Last time I went there, the standing up roller coaster had just opened, which is gong back a while! I'm sure it's changed a lot since then!
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Love 'em! There's not a ride been built that I wouldn't go on, booked my fastrack Big 6 tickets for Alton Towers a couple of days ago, can't wait!
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love theme parks..I went to a fantastic one in Germany a few years ago- fantasia land. It was epic.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alton Towers is dreadful. Major expense and ridiculous queues

Lightwater Valley is the best :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I love theme parks..I went to a fantastic one in Germany a few years ago- fantasia land. It was epic.:D

Like the sound of that one :-) Been to port aventura and Busch Gardens pre kids etc. enjoyed those, hopefully with my new job I can take the kids to Port Aventura, if its still going, lol think it was owned by Busch :o
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to Alton Towers a few weeks ago and it was alright. It was only slightly soured by the fact that I went with a couple and it was third wheel city.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't been to one since Eurodisney 10 years ago. Jr is off to Woodlands Theme Park in Totnes on Wednesday with her Gateway club and goes to a different one each holiday with them and her other disability group. She loves them, although I believe she watches a lot more rides than she goes on!

Last summer they did Thorpe Park and in spring they did Alton Towers. This summer the other group's doing Thorpe Park :D I'm surprised her insides aren't all over the place :D

We go to Brean once a year too.

Oh yes, they also went to Paulton Park last year!
  • Options
    london79london79 Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    I went to Thorpe Park yesterday felt a bit let down seems a bit run down and small.

Also was annoyed by the pricing error on the tickets. I was using BOGOF vouchers but checked the website and see the entry we was £49.99 but when paying was told it was a peak day so £59.99 despite the website being wrong as below.

https://www.thorpepark.com/tickets-passes/ticket-information/tickets/1-day-ticket/

Complained tried to get the £10.00 back but got told its a webpage error being corrected today (Yesterday), My complaining got me 3 fast track tickets but thats all :)
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love them, but I fail to see who on earth makes a sane, rational decision to visit one of these places at a weekend or during school holidays - spending the best part of £100 to spend the day stood in a queue is madness.

We went to Chessington a couple of years back, and went on an Inset day - a grey Tuesday in May. There was barely anyone else in the park and consequently we went on over 40 rides - the only waiting was for a ride to stop so we could get on. Some friends went the following weekend, spent the entire day in queues and went on just 3 rides.

Unbelievably, the park sells tickets which allows people to queue jump meaning even longer waits for everyone else!
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    I'd think they were great if I had them to myself... but I have an extreme phobia of people vomiting near me so they terrify me

I go to theme parks at least 10 times a year and I can honestly say no-one has ever vomited near me.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    klendathu wrote: »
    Alton Towers is dreadful. Major expense and ridiculous queues

Lightwater Valley is the best :D

Go out of season then, solves the queueing issue. You can also get tickets through clubcard or 2 for 1's readily available.
  • Options
    MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love them when younger and going with a group of mates and being silly and screaming our heads off, but now most of those mates have kids and it's not as much fun if the kids are whiney, badly behaved brats who stomp their feet every change they get.

The queues for popular rides in the school holidays are terrible.
    ps. I've been to PortAventura in Spain loads, love it and I've been to Phantasialand as well on this amazing runaway train thing that went into a tunnel and had a huge drop you couldn't see and didn't know was coming.
  • Options
    Vicks-LouiseVicks-Louise Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst experience ive had at one was purely based on dreadful weather - cold wet and just miserable all day and this was july 2006 and May 2007 so we didn't really go at the end of a season when you expect it to be that miserable.

Other than that ive never had a problem with the parks themselves, sure the queues can be crazy but I don't think anyone goes to them with expectations of no queues so it's not a deal breaker for me, it's about going and having a good time with friends as long as I leave feeling that's happened I consider those a successful day out

I will say though I think going with the wrong people can make an experience bad - ive had times where ive not enjoyed it because of who ive been with not making it a very nice experience