Options

Mumps

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
Forum Member
Just wondering if anyone here has had mumps as an adult?

I am 27 and have had it since Tuesday and god it's horrendous. I knew it involved swelling of the glands, but I didnt realise how painful it is. My glands are so swollen by bottow jaw has moved forward and my bottom teeth and now more forward than my front teeth. I also have fever and feel generally rubbish.

It was really weird, on Tuesday afternoon, whilst still at work, I literally felt my right gland 'pop' (that;s the best way to describe it, not literally and it wasn't painful but it was very strange) and it started from there.

Went to the docs Weds morning and he was reasonably young and suspected mumps but precribed me antibiotics in case it's just an infection, but 4 days on nothing has really changed. The doctor seemed very surprised I could have it and was saying it's so rare these days, they dont know an awful lot about it, but if it is mumps, he has to notify the authorities :eek:

Going back to docs tomorrow, although I know there is no cure and you have to wait til it gets better by itself. God knows who I caught it off.

As the MMR wasnt introduced until 1988, I wasnt vaccinated. Now I understand why children are vaccinated. It's horrible!

Anyone got any experiences of it? How long do you reckon I'll be off work for?

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you male or female?
  • Options
    Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Hopefully not male!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gadders wrote: »
    Are you male or female?

Female thankfully. I know it can be worse in males. Thankfully my husband had it as a boy
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    That's a good question Gadders, something you know about mumps obviously. Hopefully the doc has briefed the OP on this. Yes, get your kiddies jabbed, mumps is horrible, and can have some nasty side effects. In previous times, before the jab, kids my age simply took their chances, and most people got it young, when it's not so bad, and side effrects are minimised. They can still happen though. The risk of the jab is 1000 times less then the risk of the disease, it's a no brainer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    That's a good question Gadders, something you know about mumps obviously. Hopefully the doc has briefed the OP on this. Yes, get your kiddies jabbed, mumps is horrible, and can have some nasty side effects. In previous times, before the jab, kids my age simply took their chances, and most people got it young, when it's not so bad, and side effrects are minimised. They can still happen though. The risk of the jab is 1000 times less then the risk of the disease, it's a no brainer.

Before inoculation was available didn't people used to have "mumps parties" particularly for boys so that children did have it when they were young?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MAW wrote: »

If I am honest, although the Doctor was really nice, he wasn't really 'up' on mumps and had to go onto the internet to look for symptoms (to which I had them all). He then said it's ether mumps or a gland infection and for me to take the antibiotics but if it doesnt help then to go back (which is what I am doing tomorrow). However he said the surgery would call me if they want to see me sooner (havent heard).

Why would he have to notify the authorities tho? What authorities? He didnt seem overly clued up on mumps at all which is a bit worrying. He said it's because the vaccincation has pretty much made it rare these days and doctors are no longer trained on it :confused:
  • Options
    bananasplitbananasplit Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my daughter DID have the MMR vaccination, and STILL had mumps about 4 years ago. If I remember rightly, I kept her off school for a week.

The doctor said mumps and measles are making a comeback because some parents are not having their children immunised - but I made sure she got all the jabs she should've got when she was a baby.

She still got mumps though - typical :confused::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would he have to notify the authorities tho? What authorities? He didnt seem overly clued up on mumps at all which is a bit worrying. He said it's because the vaccincation has pretty much made it rare these days and doctors are no longer trained on it :confused:

I think health authorities always have to be notified about infectious diseases.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is gonna sound really stupid but why are mumps worse in males then females? :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ladyinblue wrote: »
    This is gonna sound really stupid but why are mumps worse in males then females? :o

It can make men infertile.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had it a few years back, in my mid 20s, I'm male.

It was like having the flew to start and I passed it onto a mate, I didn't know I had it at that point.

The Dr recognised it straight away, before it was full blown, he told the authorities and recommended staying inside for a couple of days.

Apparently in care cases male genitals can swell up and in extreme cases cause infertility.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can make men infertile.

Oh right thank you. Thankfully our son has had the MMR- we had it done a bit late unfortunetly because I was so scared about all these stories about the MMR and he got measles :( and then I caught it off of him and now he has had the MMR he should be fully protected. I hope you feel better soon OP. When I had measles it was terrible so mumps must be worse. Get well soon anyway :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    just hope I havent given it to any of my friends. I had 8 friends over last week, 4 stayed at my house. All my age range so would not have been vaccinated. I know it can incubate in your body for upto 3 weeks before it comes out. I have emailed them all to re-warn them just in case.

Would love to know who I picked it up from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh right thank you. Thankfully our son has had the MMR- we had it done a bit late unfortunetly because I was so scared about all these stories about the MMR and he got measles :( and then I caught it off of him and now he has had the MMR he should be fully protected. I hope you feel better soon OP. When I had measles it was terrible so mumps must be worse. Get well soon anyway :)

I think it's awful that when the media ran the scare stories about MMR they also failed to tell people what the consequences can be of not having the jabs.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Thanks. Never had measles so cant compare. But mumps is highly uncomfortable. Eating is the worse when the saliva glands get going - OWWWWW :cry:
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    You can be vaccinated but no vaccination gives 100% protection. It just reduces your risk of contracting the disease and the severity of it. So even with the MMR your child can still get mumps or measles (or rubella).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's awful that when the media ran the scare stories about MMR they also failed to tell people what the consequences can be of not having the jabs.

I know. I was petrified that all these bad things were gonna happen loads of people were telling me about autism and everything then other people were telling me that it is best to get him vaccinated I just didn't know what to do it was terrible. But thankfully he is fully protected now. I still haven't had the MMR and I am 22 my parents didn't want me vaccinated because of these stupid stories going round about it. I am wondering now though whether to get vaccinated. Would it be too late?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Never had measles so cant compare. But mumps is highly uncomfortable. Eating is the worse when the saliva glands get going - OWWWWW :cry:

I'm sorry you are feeling so bad. :( I'm sure it is highly uncomfortable. I really hope you start to feel better soon ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know. I was petrified that all these bad things were gonna happen loads of people were telling me about autism and everything then other people were telling me that it is best to get him vaccinated I just didn't know what to do it was terrible. But thankfully he is fully protected now. I still haven't had the MMR and I am 22 my parents didn't want me vaccinated because of these stupid stories going round about it. I am wondering now though whether to get vaccinated. Would it be too late?

I dont think it's not too late. I was reading on the internet the other night whilst trying to research this that some university's were offering it to students who missed out on the MMR as a baby. So therefore I am assuming that you should be able to request one from your doctor (not 100% sure)

My mum checked my vaccination record and it seems I had injections for rubella and measles, just not mumps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry you are feeling so bad. :( I'm sure it is highly uncomfortable. I really hope you start to feel better soon ;)

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think it's not too late. I was reading on the internet the other night whilst trying to research this that some university's were offering it to students who missed out on the MMR as a baby. So therefore I am assuming that you should be able to request one from your doctor (not 100% sure)

My mum checked my vaccination record and it seems I had injections for rubella and measles, just not mumps.

Thank you. I will phone the doctor tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks for replying to me :)
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can be vaccinated but no vaccination gives 100% protection. It just reduces your risk of contracting the disease and the severity of it. So even with the MMR your child can still get mumps or measles (or rubella).
    That's true. But a sufficiently high uptake of the vaccine within the wider community also confers "herd immunity", thereby reducing the risk of any individual contracting the disease, regardless of the efficacy of their vaccination.

[There are some slight caveats to that, but we won't go there!]
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    njp wrote: »
    That's true. But a sufficiently high uptake of the vaccine within the wider community also confers "herd immunity", thereby reducing the risk of any individual contracting the disease, regardless of the efficacy of their vaccination.

[There are some slight caveats to that, but we won't go there!]

Agreed. I just remember getting a leaflet about the new Meningitis vaccine (PCV7) and reading how two kids given as case studies had contracted the disease twice. You'd think they'd have immunity after the first lot, but they did not to devastating effect. I discussed this new vaccine with the nurse and decided not to get my son retrospectively vaccinated as my daughter (then aged 2) had never had it and was not offered it either. I had never worried about it with her and felt I was unlikely to worry about it with him. He'd already had all the other immunisations and I'd felt that was enough TBH. I'd prefer that they could have it now a bit older but that wasn't given to us as an option.

However I do think some people (and I include myself until I found out otherwise) think immunisations means they have full 100% protection and I think it should be stated that they do not.
  • Options
    Bendy WendyBendy Wendy Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When he was small, our youngest son slept in the attic bedroom in a bed opposite the door. I remember walking upstairs to wake him and immediately saw his neck looked huge on the pillow:eek:. The mumps lasted a good week and swallowing was so painful for him that he just dribbled onto a tissue that we had to keep changing. He'd had the MMR vaccine as a baby so God knows how bad he'd have been without it:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When he was small, our youngest son slept in the attic bedroom in a bed opposite the door. I remember walking upstairs to wake him and immediately saw his neck looked huge on the pillow:eek:. The mumps lasted a good week and swallowing was so painful for him that he just dribbled onto a tissue that we had to keep changing. He'd had the MMR vaccine as a baby so God knows how bad he'd have been without it:(

Oh dear that sounds awful, much worse than me (and I thought I was bad!!). Bless him