Options

I can't believe Hollyoaks won best actor and actress

13»

Comments

• Options
    SelenaSelena Posts: 29,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like someone posted earlier at least 2 people who can actually act won it this year. Especially after the Antony Cotton fiasco last year.
  • Options
    Elessar_MírielElessar_Míriel Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    Oh right it's just that earlier you said you don't watch HO which I interpretted as you don't watch it ever. Clearly peoples opinions of "best" vary as otherwise the same winner would win all the time. Factors such as popularity of both actor and character as well as how good looking they are all play a part in ANY public voting. So would you be happier if the panel chose??? People would only complain that they didn't have a say in who the best actor was so would not recognise them.

A show where only the panel votes would be a good idea in my opinion.
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,273
    Forum Member
    I would have liked Emma to win BDP and Jo to win BA, but it went the other way lol, I'm just pleased Jo won something and Emma. Jo is a better actress, IMO, maybe next year Jo will win it, I bet she will be up again, the bury storyline defo will.
  • Options
    Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A show where only the panel votes would be a good idea in my opinion.

But then when the person you want to win doesn't, who or what will you use as an excuse?
  • Options
    Elessar_MírielElessar_Míriel Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    But then when the person you want to win doesn't, who or what will you use as an excuse?

I do not need to make an excuse, I'm saying votes the public chooses are rarely judged on skill and more popularity.

I don't see the problem, It's my opinion of which I'm entitled to.
  • Options
    KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't buy that. If that was the case he'd have won Dancing On Ice..

Even so, his appearance on DOI must have won him a region of fans and a greater support network due to the popularity of the show.

Not having a go at any of the HO fans but even you must question whether his win was backed by his appearance on DOI. Not saying he won on that alone but it's quite possibal it worked in his favour. If he didn't appear in DOI, I'm doubtful he had won.

As for Emma Rigby, well deserved! :)
  • Options
    LennieLennie Posts: 25,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laura_lou wrote: »
    Emma Rigby deserved it without question.

Ditto :D

Chris is a great actor as well
  • Options
    Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not need to make an excuse, I'm saying votes the public chooses are rarely judged on skill and more popularity.

I don't see the problem, It's my opinion of which I'm entitled to.

I agree with you actually but my opinion of talented would no doubt differ to yours and everyone else' on DS. The fact is you would never get a winner that everyone can agree on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    so glad emma won the award i were just a bit gutted that they did not show the clip of when melissa died and she were screamin ...that was really good
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emma Rigby deserved her award she has been amazing this year! I wouldn't have minded if she had got dramatic performance and Jo Joyner best actress either as long as thye both got something. Best actor I am not sure about. I like Justin but can never feel that much personality. He has had good storylines though. Bet Dancing On Ice helped though :P
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,956
    Forum Member
    xTonix wrote: »
    I would have liked Emma to win BDP and Jo to win BA, but it went the other way lol, I'm just pleased Jo won something and Emma. Jo is a better actress, IMO, maybe next year Jo will win it, I bet she will be up again, the bury storyline defo will.

wouldn't that have counted for this years? :confused:

i thought it was included in the max & stacey aftermath storyline.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    I still think Emma deserved the actress award though, because she put something out there that is such a huge issue at the moment throughout the UK.
  • Options
    S4BUKS4BUK Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    I don't buy that. If that was the case he'd have won Dancing On Ice. He won because Hollyoaks fans came out in force and voted for him. Not sure he deserved it really, but it is a popularity contest.

In all honesty I think Chris Fountain's win was quite long overdue. He has been consistently fantastic and I totally agree that this has a been a bit of a rubbish year/few months for him storyline wise (as apposed to James Sutton) but overall I think he does deserve it. Even if I am Team Sutton!
  • Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    Isnt it brilliant, I had an incling Emma might win actually, but it was still kind of a surprise when she did and really good about Chris, I voted for James but Chris deserves it just as much. Im so happy HO got recognised, I really felt this was the year to do it and hopefully this will silence all these snobs who dont give it a chance and make assumptions just because the cast are mostly young and attractive.

Well done HO, im proud to be a fan!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,693
    Forum Member
    I'm a HO fan and chris fountain is one of my fave actors in the show, but i think he didnt deserve his best actor award this year, its alright to say he was good 2 years ago with the becca storyline but that doesnt mean he should win it now, i think jake wood and charlie clements were the two most deserving actors for that award, and DOI definatly played a part in chris winning the award, his acting has not been great this year anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pleased Emma won too - she really deserved it.

I was hoping Charlie Clements might win Best Actor though.
  • Options
    SoapcriticSoapcritic Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets not pick on Chris Fountain winning Best Actor...

Last year Anthony Cotton won it - no one was happy because people thought he is pants...

The year before in 2006, Ross Kemp won it and people thought he should had not because he was in the show for 3 months...

Same was said against other actors like Richard Carpon (panto actor) and Shane Ritchie (playing himself)....

To be honest its all nonsese...Chris has been Hollyoaks greatest ever character and missed out on Best Actor over the years- he deserved it now....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont watch Hollyoaks but from what i've heard Emma R is a fantastic actress so good for her (although as an EE fan i would have preferred a Lacey/jo win).
    I am shocked Jake Woods didnt get in top 4 for best actor but Charlie did for EE :confused: I like them both but Jakes one of the best male actors on EE by a mile! Ah well i guess its partley my fault for not voting. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beanbean wrote: »
    I dont watch Hollyoaks but from what i've heard Emma R is a fantastic actress so good for her (although as an EE fan i would have preferred a Lacey/jo win).
    I am shocked Jake Woods didnt get in top 4 for best actor but Charlie did for EE :confused: I like them both but Jakes one of the best male actors on EE by a mile! Ah well i guess its partley my fault for not voting. :o

Mate your spot on...Jake Wood has been fantastic - now there is an actor who NO ONE can argue if he won Best Actor or BEst Villian!
  • Options
    yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,532
    Forum Member
    Chris Fountain should've won it years ago during the whole Becca/ Justin thing or even the Justin/ Macki storyline. He is a good actor but the last year hasn't really showcased him well and hasn't been given too many big storylines.

James Sutton/ Guy Burnet should've won the Best Actor award IMO they have been fantastic during the whole JP/ Craig storyline

Emma Rigby deserved her award for Best Actress and has been superb during the last year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Fountain should've won it years ago during the whole Becca/ Justin thing or even the Justin/ Macki storyline. He is a good actor but the last year hasn't really showcased him well and hasn't been given too many big storylines.

James Sutton/ Guy Burnet should've won the Best Actor award IMO they have been fantastic during the whole JP/ Craig storyline

Emma Rigby deserved her award for Best Actress and has been superb during the last year

Myabe Chris Fountain didnt have HUGE storylines he used too, but still had some great moments of storylines...he was OUTSTANDING when justin had to bury sean, the whole who pushed claire scenrio and f course recently with Charlie situation. He done okay...
  • Options
    yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,532
    Forum Member
    Soapcritic wrote: »
    Myabe Chris Fountain didnt have HUGE storylines he used too, but still had some great moments of storylines...he was OUTSTANDING when justin had to bury sean, the whole who pushed claire scenrio and f course recently with Charlie situation. He done okay...

Yeah CF is brilliant; however I reckon JS/ GB should've won it instead
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emma's win was well deserved and I'm so glad she won. I think I would have preferred if she had won Best Dramatic Performance and Jo Joyner had won Best Actress though. Jo's consistently fantastic, where as Emma, although great, could definitely improve. :)

I don't think Chris deserved Best Actor at all, especially not this year. I think he's an average actor most of the time, although he's always great during dramatic scenes. I would have liked Charlie Clements to win.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Chris Fountain is a brilliant actor. Justin has gone through so many changes throughout his time on Hollyoaks, and Chris has handled them all superbly.

It would be silly to say that it's more of a popularity contest when Eastenders and Coronation Street get the most viewers out of all of the soaps, so are therefore the most popular. If it was a popularity contest neither Emma nor Chris could have won, as Hollyoaks doesn't have as many viewers.

You could argue, then, that Chris is more popular because of his time on Dancing on Ice. That would be silly as well, because he's been on these celebrity reality shows before and not won Best Actor at the soap awards. And if you say it's a popularity contest and Chris won because of Dancing on Ice, then what about Emma? You can't say that Best Actor is voted on popularity and Best Actress is voted on talent.