The Tennis Thread (Part 22)

Comments

• Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kutox wrote: »
    Anyone know what Laura's ranking would be for reaching the last 16? Could she get a seeding for the US Open?

Laura currently #25 in live rankings, if she gets past Kanepi she'll be up to #21 :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else usually feel really forlorn on the middle Sunday without tennis? I swear when it comes back on the Monday it feels like it's been gone for about a week :o:D
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't matter what nationality the crowd is, seedings and rankings come with a certain privilege, and it's being accorded to some of the top 10 players but not others, which is hardly fair on them. They're the ones playing the tournament, not the spectators. The spectators have bought tickets to a Court, not a guarantee to see British players.

well said :):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else usually feel really forlorn on the middle Sunday without tennis? I swear when it comes back on the Monday it feels like it's been gone for about a week :o:D

yah :o:D:D
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why do they choose Sunday as the rest day? Sunday is the day most people aren't working and can actually watch a full day of tennis..Monday would be a better rest day IMO.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laura currently #25 in live rankings, if she gets past Kanepi she'll be up to #21 :)

If she wins it all she could go into the top 10 ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    If she wins it all she could go into the top 10 ;)

One step at a time ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope all the doubters stay behind this girl (Laura Robson). She has got devastating power, just needs to cut down on wild shots, And double faults. Even if she goes through rough times, allow her to grow. The highest ranked teenager in Tennis, is not an easy feat, in any era. She is a champion in the making. I think, both the UK, and the US, have at least 2 young prospects, who will win slams in the future. the names, Robson, Keys, Watson, Stephens, are all gonna be top 10 soon. And there are others as well.
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    Yes I do and it's particularly annoying when Sunday is the day that most people could watch (which they clearly know because that's when the men's final is scheduled).

I expect it's because it used to be considered the day of rest, when people wouldn't even go to or play a tennis match. However, times have changed! For example, Sunday shopping is now taken for granted. So maybe Wimbledon could consider changing the day off to Monday???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though I am a Serena Williams fan, I would love to see them both win next week, and meet each other in the quarters. That would be huge for Robson. Williams would come in, with a 35 games winning streak. And Robson should have no pressure. Maybe she can pull off a huge upset!

Gutted for my 2nd favorite Teenager, Madison Keys! She played so well against Radwanska. But not to be.
    I am expecting big things from her, at the US Open.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ama2k9 wrote: »
    I hope all the doubters stay behind this girl (Laura Robson). She has got devastating power, just needs to cut down on wild shots, And double faults. Even if she goes through rough times, allow her to grow. The highest ranked teenager in Tennis, is not an easy feat, in any era. She is a champion in the making. I think, both the UK, and the US, have at least 2 young prospects, who will win slams in the future. the names, Robson, Keys, Watson, Stephens, are all gonna be top 10 soon. And there are others as well.

Agree with everything you said, except for Watson.

Lovely as Heather is, she's never going to be a slam winner. Not a chance.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Serena and Laura both playing at the same bloody time on Monday. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Serena and Laura both playing at the same bloody time on Monday. :(

Fair enough, since winners in those matches, face each other, in the next round. And its a nice feature , to flip between both matches on your tv remote.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fair enough, since winners in those matches, face each other, in the next round. And its a nice feature , to flip between both matches on your tv remote.

I agree it is good for the players, but I like to watch the matches uninterrupted (not that we ever get an uninterrupted match with the BBC - always changing channels)

1pm will not have two channels. Not until 1.45 - so it's not as easy as flipping channels on SKY ... the red button is not easily 'flippable' :o:)
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with everything you said, except for Watson.

Lovely as Heather is, she's never going to be a slam winner. Not a chance.

Sadly I have to agree and I'm a Heather fan.
    She just lacks the tools to ever reach the top 10 and be considered a legitimate slam contender IMO.

Laura has a big game, Sloane has that ferocious forehand, Keys has a great serve...Heather doesn't have any particular weapon:(
  • tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member

Players like Robson and Keys, I wonder about their consistency. We've seen players like these in Kvitova, Lisicki, and Barthel (though Petra got a slam, so not too bad).

Stephens, I feel like we haven't seen her play a GREAT match in a while. Great one set, walk about the next, etc or her whole match becomes a struggle. She also needs to up her aggression. People are calling her a "pusher" :eek:.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    She just lacks the tools to ever reach the top 10 and be considered a legitimate slam contender IMO.

Laura has a big game, Sloane has that ferocious forehand, Keys has a great serve...Heather doesn't have any particular weapon:(

Exactly, that's her main problem, no weapons. Robson, Sloane, Keys and Vekic are all already showing their future potential, but Watson is not. In fact she's been going in the opposite direction lately.

I see Heather having a steady top 30 career, winning a couple of titles along the way and generally being a tricky player that nobody would want to meet in the first round of a slam. Top ten and slams... absolutely not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I actually agree with this. She really doesnt have any strong weapons! But in time, you never know! She has got heart, and a great fighting spirit. That may take her far.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually agree with this. She really doesnt have any strong weapons! But in time, you never know! She has got heart, and a great fighting spirit. That may take her far.

Indeed, Heather probably has the best attitude out of all of them and her plucky fighting spirit is what endeared me to her:)
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    No disrespect, but how on earth did she get this far?
    Krumm's FH looks really dodgy to me.
    Because she actually has a good game, she just doesn't have much power.
    She's got a canny game. Best way I can describe it.
    I agree on both counts. Maybe some of this oldschool tennis will be quite effective against Serena since she's having to move about a lot.

I really didn't like Sam Smith's comment about Kimiko's serve being so slow Serena can see the writing on the ball. Not really called for.
    Would she say the same about Errani or Aga's 2nd serves?
    digichant wrote: »
    Sabine on twitter:

Won my match in 3 sets. Got better with each set & took my chances! Pleased with that! It was soo nice to play on @Wimbledon Center Court!
    If I was allocating players to courts she'd never be off Centre. :p
    Jenzen wrote: »
    Happy that Daveed won through in his match. He is currently no.4 in the rankings behind Federer does this mean he will be at a career high of 3 soon?
    Yep as Fed will be on 5700-odd points after Wimby. #2 isn't out of the question either. :eek:
    hallstar wrote: »
    Was the thing about Federer's shoes a PR stunt from Nike. I only ask as I can't believe he couldn't wear those yet Serena can wear Orange shorts which are much more noticeable, and I think last year she wore pink ones.
    I remember Tatiana Golovin wearing red knickers. :o
    BlueZane00 wrote: »
    On Federer's shoes, I can see that being the case. They've been making tennis kit long enough to have a fair idea of what's allowed at Wimbledon.

In any event, I've heard those shoes have sold like hot cakes. Job done for Nike :).
    Clear PR stunt. Nike and Fed knew full well the shoes wouldn't fly at Wimbledon and the controversy surrounding that was the catalyst for Fed fans around the world to snap 'em up.
    Aside from a few off-colour comments regarding Kimiko's age, I thought Sam Smith spoke with a good deal of admiration and respect, peppered with the usual quirky anecdotes (Japanese TV career, teapot in bag, meeting her hubby) that are part of Sam's style. I'd take her knowledge over the banality and obviousness of Henman and Castle seven days a week!

Despite the scoreline I really enjoyed that match. Perhaps a bit of a shame that Serena figured out very early that hitting with more margin for error in terms of placement while ramping up the power would get her the win. I love Kimiko! Long may she continue. :D
    Good post, particularly agree with the BIB. :cool:
    Haha well it was slightly obvious. ;) Well I totally don't blame you though and I'm a straight female. :p
    Everyone wants a bit of 'Bine ;)

Hev's current weapons...hmm. Movement, will to win. Mental strength can become one. Could take her to the second week of a few slams but conventional weapons are needed to go further.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone think Haas will beat Djokovic?
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    I agree it is good for the players, but I like to watch the matches uninterrupted (not that we ever get an uninterrupted match with the BBC - always changing channels)

1pm will not have two channels. Not until 1.45 - so it's not as easy as flipping channels on SKY ... the red button is not easily 'flippable' :o:)

Forget the red button just go straight to the channel usually 301 then use the back button to go back and forth.
  • hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was going to go out tomorrow and not be in time for the start, but might wait until Tuesday since I can't record it thanks to the BBC's game of switching channels and streams all the time.

I swear last night in mid point of the Lisicki match Sue Barker said they were switching to BBC2 where they would stay for the rest of the night only at 7 to have to switch back to BBC1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Laura faces Serena (after Monday ) , now that would be interesting :cool:.

The pressure would be on Laura with the home-crowd supporting her and I wonder how she is going to cope.
    Have these 2 ladies met each other in the past :confused:
    I don't think they ever met but I'm not sure. Does anyone know :confused:
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Anyone think Haas will beat Djokovic?

I am a big Haas fan, but no I do not think he can beat Djokovic, however I think he will win one set - ie Djokovic to win in 4 sets.
This discussion has been closed.