Options

What Remains, BBC1&HD, 9pm, 25 Aug, 1-8-15 Sep

Comments

• Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was a cracking episode, really tense, a bit silly in the end but still very enjoyable. Len's last line 'I don't want to be alone' was quite beautiful and sad.

I think it came together really well in the end, i'm satisfied with all the plot's throughout the series. Did we ever find out what Liz did? I suppose we can assume she flipped out at somebody and landed herself in trouble.
  • Options
    cath99cath99 Posts: 6,826
    Forum Member
    I didn't think that at all. It's hardly a common thing in telly is it?

I saw one Christie programme, and that's it.

More common than you'd think. Lesbians usually portrayed as crazy on these type of shows. Seriously, said to my OH as soon as they appeared that one of them would have done it (slightly tongue in cheek) - then what do you know..!

Really enjoyed the show mind you.
  • Options
    G926G926 Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed this. Loved the final twist while leading you down blind alleys. BBC been doing some great dramas recently, this, The Fall, Luther, keep it up.

Looking forward to By Any Means next Sunday
  • Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,112
    Forum Member
    great series
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Angelsbaby wrote: »
    So disappointed in that ending! Just got too bizarre! Really feel let down by that

I thought it was gripping. The fake Liz ending was scary enough... then the real ending turned the screw completely. I was cowering!
  • Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Why did Elaine kill Peggy? And what was the point of that piffling amount of ice?

peggy wants to leave her...

ice to preserve the body
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Did they explain why Liz was at Joe's? (I mean specifically why Joe let her stay there rather than the bit about the mother's new husband.)
    There was a warrant out for Liz's arrest for the murder of her (step?) father.
    Quite why Joe was her only option is totally unclear.
  • Options
    abannieabannie Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    Did we ever find out what Liz did? I suppose we can assume she flipped out at somebody and landed herself in trouble.

She's suspected of killing her mother's new boyfriend with a pair of scissors!
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    There was a warrant out for Liz's arrest for the murder of her (step?) father.
    Quite why Joe was her only option is totally unclear.

Thanks for that, my freeview box decided to switch itself off and I missed that part. I may rewatch the series if they are still on iplayer.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    G926 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed this. Loved the final twist while leading you down blind alleys. BBC been doing some great dramas recently, this, The Fall, Luther, keep it up.

Looking forward to By Any Means next Sunday

Me too :) with the very delicious Warren Brown.

I was so sad Len died at the end. I loved the little friendship he struck up with the pregnant lady, his 'I don't want to be alone', reminiscent of the earlier conversation with Joe, was very touching.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did Elaine kill Peggy?
    Becasue Peggy had finally realised that you can open the door from the inside and you don't need a key.
    And what was the point of that piffling amount of ice?
    To stop the smell of a body?

More to the point, how would their business work and how would Elaine carry on with her life?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Im assuming Joe had groomed her as a pupil and when she got into trouble later in life she felt he was a safe person to turn to?
    She is a psycho remember.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved how creepy Adam only appeared once in the episode and it was him being told everything we have been saying for the last 4 weeks.

I wonder if Vidya and Michael get back together in the end?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Im assuming Joe had groomed her as a pupil and when she got into trouble later in life she felt he was a safe person to turn to?
    She is a psycho remember.

There was rather a lot of them in that house! :eek:
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    That was a cracking episode, really tense, a bit silly in the end but still very enjoyable. Len's last line 'I don't want to be alone' was quite beautiful and sad.

I think it came together really well in the end, i'm satisfied with all the plot's throughout the series. Did we ever find out what Liz did? I suppose we can assume she flipped out at somebody and landed herself in trouble.

Didn't she murder her stepfather?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dazza89 wrote: »
    Loved how creepy Adam only appeared once in the episode and it was him being told everything we have been saying for the last 4 weeks.

I wonder if Vidya and Michael get back together in the end?

Doubt it. He was a total twonk. Having sex as revenge - not really what sex is for. He was pretty vindictive and nasty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Completely ruined by the OTT ending. Up til then it was well placed, good characters, good plot, good cinematography. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    raindrop12 wrote: »
    Completely ruined by the OTT ending. Up til then it was well placed, good characters, good plot, good cinematography. :mad:

Yep. Totally agree.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Excellent stuff--saw all four episodes today.

My overall reaction is that they need to install much better lighting in the communal areas ;)

As a student, I lived in a flat with those push lights. The timers were never quite long enough to get from one push switch to the next!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did Elaine kill Peggy? And what was the point of that piffling amount of ice?

Did Peggy not kill herself, maybe at Elaine's request or something? Thought it was a follow on from the self harm we saw her performing on her wrist in the bath. *shudders* that bit was bloody horrible!

Found out today it was Peggy, suddenly all made sense - the real reason she can't leave Elaine! also the only character who was apparently likeable, had to be her :D;) Also I remember reading an interview where someone said the only decent characters were Vidya and Melissa and I remember thinking, why haven't they mentioned Peggy being a decent person unless she was heavily involved somehow!

BUT why Oh WHY did she randomly throttle Melissa? For God's sake? Where did that even come from? There was no need whatsoever for her to do that, it wasn't as if Elaine was threatening her or anything. Surely smacking her would be enough, why would Peggy kill her? Seriously if anyone has a good answer to this PLEASE give it to me because that was the bit that really jarred for me!

Also ... realism? Would Peggy really have lived for two years under that roof knowing that the woman she strangled was decomposing in her loft :rolleyes: Well done Beeb, another mad lesbian situation again - is it called 'dead lesbian syndrome'?? As in, they're all cracked, dead, murderous or just simply vaguely evil? :rolleyes:

Huge plot hole - why did Liz steal all of Melissa's things? Was there even a reason?

Eeep poor beautiful Peggy :eek: (sympathy may or may not come from the fact that I love Victoria Hamilton:o)

On that note, acting in this was excellent from start to finish - brilliant!!

Loved what a giant red herring that Canada Guy turned out to be :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So why did Peggy kill Mel? Because she told Elaine the truth?

Peggy was just as insane as Elaine then imo.
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couple of people here have said Elaine killed Peggy.

Did she?

Last Peggy scene I remember was her sitting in the bath trying to kill herself!
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is quite sad that no one will ever know who the real killer was.

We know, Peggy and Elaine knew and that is it.

Joe will probably go down for it, maintains it was him and not liz.

Liz will go down for the other murder.

Peggy and Elaine and Melissa dead.

Len dead... He seemed to want to die "I can't do the next twenty years alone"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    So why did Peggy kill Mel? Because she told Elaine the truth?

Yep. She was frightened of the other one.... and her reaction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did Len get Mellisa's phone number from?
    How did Melissa's phone have any charge in it?

I thought the last episode was absurdly cliched and the plot just offered more and more implausible twists for the sake of it.