Idiotic joggers who jog on the road

Noel CanardNoel Canard Posts: 562
Forum Member
✭✭
Saw this a couple of days ago and was surprised he wasn't seriously injured by passing cars.

There was enough space for him to be off the road yet in his infinite 'wisdom', he decided to put himself and others at risk.

What an ass.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    It's not the safest way to exercise, granted, but how is he any more at risk than say, a cyclist?
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the safest way to exercise, granted, but how is he any more at risk than say, a cyclist?

To be fair, OP didn't say he was.

And many people think cyclists ARE at high risk. It's possible for them both to be equally at risk.

If you search the GD forum you can find this thread 500 times over but talking about cyclists instead of joggers.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I generally run on the pavement and only ever on the road itself if it is very quiet and there is no alternative.

That said, I don't use headphones when running either, as you need to know what is going on around you.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    If they want to use our roads they should pay road tax or stay off. And why don't they wear helmets? Don't they realise how dangerous it is to be on the roads?

(C) All Cycling Threads. :)
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    There was enough space for him to be off the road
    Was there? Where? On the rough grass verge with transverse drainage gullies ideal for doing an ankle?
  • Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe he did it to piss you off?
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    If they want to use our roads they should pay road tax or stay off. And why don't they wear helmets? Don't they realise how dangerous it is to be on the roads?

(C) All Cycling Threads. :)

That appears to be the view of some cyclists about joggers, "get off the road ********"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pppUC40zRzQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcs7Veis7-Y
  • ChandelierChandelier Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    sorry to dilute the theme. There are many cyclists around here, in their new snazzy lycra and ridiculously expensive bikes who always cycle on the road next to the cycle track.

Still it gives me a chance to test my horn is still working nice and loudly. The idiots.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I live in a village so have to drive along a few narrow country lanes.I came around a left hand bend and was confronted by a jogger jogging towards almost in the centre of the road.There was also oncoming traffic,I braked and I steered towards my right, got beeped at by an oncoming car, missed the jogger by the thickness of his t shirt, I would think.He waved at me and continued on his way seemingly blissfully unaware of the havoc happening around him.
  • TheJasperCoTheJasperCo Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Near where I live, there's a huge expanse of greenery next to the seafront, running adjacent to a road with blind bends. Guess where I have seen more than 1 jogger running down.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chandelier wrote: »
    sorry to dilute the theme. There are many cyclists around here, in their new snazzy lycra and ridiculously expensive bikes who always cycle on the road next to the cycle track.

Still it gives me a chance to test my horn is still working nice and loudly. The idiots.

You're the idiot and you are also committing an offence if you sound your horn in such circumstances. There are good reasons why cyclists may cycle on the road instead of on a cycle track but then you wouldn't be interested in other opinions as you wallow in your ignorance.
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    You're the idiot and you are also committing an offence if you sound your horn in such circumstances. There are good reasons why cyclists may cycle on the road instead of on a cycle track but then you wouldn't be interested in other opinions as you wallow in your ignorance.

Yes there must be many reasons why other cyclists use the road instead of the cycle path, that i use when i am cycling on the same bit of road. There must be a plethora of excellent reasons.

Isn't holding up the flow of traffic an offence?
    Forum Member
    Yes there must be many reasons why other cyclists use the road instead of the cycle path, that i use when i am cycling on the same bit of road. There must be a plethora of excellent reasons.

Isn't holding up the flow of traffic an offence?
    There are many reasons for not using a cycle path. Would you like me to list some of them?

Path doesn't go where cyclist is going. Path is shared use so legally cyclists are limited to 30Kmh (18mph). Cycle path is too narrow to make reasonable progress due to other cyclists. Path is littered with road debris and is likely to cause punctures. Path is badly maintained. Path is token gesture by the council that might suit those who wish to amble along but isn't suitable for the quicker rider. Path is strewn with broken glass in places. Cyclist is taking advantage of his perfect right to use the road if he so wishes.

No it's not an offence to hold up traffic, in that situation.
    Forum Member
    There are many reasons for not using a cycle path. Would you like me to list some of them?

Path doesn't go where cyclist is going. Path is shared use so legally cyclists are limited to 30Kmh (18mph). Cycle path is too narrow to make reasonable progress due to other cyclists. Path is littered with road debris and is likely to cause punctures. Path is badly maintained. Path is token gesture by the council that might suit those who wish to amble along but isn't suitable for the quicker rider. Path is strewn with broken glass in places. Cyclist is taking advantage of his perfect right to use the road if he so wishes.

No it's not an offence to hold up traffic, in that situation.

I use the lane myself whilst cycling. I guess some are bit too precious about it. It is an offence not to be considerate of other road users.
    Forum Member
    I use the lane myself whilst cycling. I guess some are bit too precious about it. It is an offence not to be considerate of other road users.
    It's your choice if it suits you. That list provides a few good reasons for not using it; you're welcome to label cyclists as precious for wanting to get a move on and not damage their wheels or suffer flats if that's how you see it, but then it could be argued that you're committing the offence you describe, of not being considerate to other road users. ;)
    Forum Member
    It's your choice if it suits you. That list provides a few good reasons for not using it; you're welcome to label cyclists as precious for wanting to get a move on and not damage their wheels or suffer flats if that's how you see it, but then it could be argued that you're committing the offence you describe, of not being considerate to other road users. ;)

Maybe your equipment isn't suitable if it suffers punctures when used on a dedicated surface? It would be a little inconsiderate to ride such equipment IMO.
    Forum Member
    Maybe your equipment isn't suitable if it suffers punctures when used on a dedicated surface? It would be a little inconsiderate to ride such equipment IMO.
    :) my bike & its equipment is brilliant on the roads. I wouldn't use it on the cycle paths round here for exactly the reasons I listed. If you think I should abandon my decent road bike and replace it with a sturdy machine with big chunky tyres so that I can use the occasional path that happens to lead to my destinations and be stuck with it on the many roads that do lead to where I'm going you're welcome to that opinion, but it ain't gonna happen.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah surface has glass and other debris on it, so the answer is to get better tyres.
    I always feel the same about potholes. Motorists should just get better suspension.
  • Magic TorchMagic Torch Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I keep to the pavements when running, but often encounter cyclists who choose to ride on the pavement & expect me to make way for them! I end up being forced off the pavement & onto the road, often into the path of traffic.
    Forum Member

I think (BIB) we can say what Mr Chandelier's issue really is. Interesting to see how having announced that cyclists provide a handy horn test for him he then decides that inconsideration to other road users is a serious offence. Well played sir.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back on topic.
    I cycled round a bend to see a jogger coming towards me on the road. I refused to move over because a) the road isn't that wide b) the speed limit is 60 c) we were too close the bend.
    His response was not to jog on the verge but jog round me in the middle of the road towards the blind bend!
  • the ocelotthe ocelot Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Joggers don't bother me too much because they're quicker to overtake. And you don't have to give them too much room because they won't lose their balance and fall. Jogging towards oncoming traffic though is idiotic.

But there's certainly an unofficial war going on between motorists and cyclists.

I spoke to a woman who was the wife of one of my dad's friends from work, and she sometimes cycles in her leisurely time (we live in a mostly rural area).

She told me she went on an advanced cycling course that covers urban areas, and it apparently on such courses they teach cyclists to weave out into the middle of the road to obstruct motorists and prevent on them from overtaking, on the premise that motorists who overtake them never give them a wide enough berth.

I don't know if other cyclist training bodies or organisations encourage the same behaviour though.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Saw this a couple of days ago and was surprised he wasn't seriously injured by passing cars.

There was enough space for him to be off the road yet in his infinite 'wisdom', he decided to put himself and others at risk.

What an ass.

Who wants to run in canine faecal matter?
  • lubaluba Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live on a narrow country lane and get quite a lot of joggers, horses, walkers and cyclists on the lane.
    It is quite normal to meet them and I drive slowly as you never know who is round the bend.
    They are all the same to me, a complete pain.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't understand why some people would want to jog on a road that has moving traffic when they have a path to use. They probably just like being awkward.