Gary Barlow : You give to Children In Need, I`ll try to avoid paying my tax.....

Comments

• konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    His personal record company (that he reportedly got as a present from Take That's record company) has just gone mammaries skywards with losses of £4 million+. He's a smug, boring hypocrite. But nowhere near as bad as Bono and Sting.

http://www.musicweek.com/news/read/barlow-shuts-future-records-4m-loss-reported/053006
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I love that first comment on there "make him hand his gong back, the chubby cross eyed tone deaf cheat.":D

He isn't quite as fat anymore (although he is losing his hair).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I could legally pay less tax, I would. Wouldn't you?
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    It's interesting that Barlow's own tax 'arrangements' came out the same time as Jimmy Carr's. Cameron chose to single out Carr. I'm sure it's nothing to do with the fact that Barlow is a Tory fundraiser, though.
    Forum Member
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    If I could legally pay less tax, I would. Wouldn't you?
    Whilst you're on PAYE there's no chance - hardly a level playing ground is it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst you're on PAYE there's no chance - hardly a level playing ground is it?

If you could legally pay less tax, would you?
    Forum Member
    If you could legally pay less tax, would you?
    Well when you put it like that - if I was a multi-millionaire songster organising charity events which double up as free publicity - essentially doing what I like doing and getting well rewarded for it - YES! But it ain't going to happen for the majority of us is it?

You can't blame him for being a greedy git I suppose (and as I said earlier - I'd say around 3/4 of the entertainment business (at least) are doing the same thing.

Interesting though - that of Take That - Jason Orange was the only one not implicated in such tax avoidance schemes - but it is well known that Orange is a man of principles.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Didn't he get one for that awful Olympics song? Or was it a jubilee song? Or a wedding song? I have festivity confusion.

Oh jeez, he didn't did he? He's not a Sir is he?
  • Magic TorchMagic Torch Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    He really wants a Knighthood, doesn't he?

Definitely, It is so obvious. Almost feels that he is following some kind of 'Personal Development Plan' for Knighthood :D
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For heaven's sake - it isn't the same thing! Yes - we get tax relief on ISA accounts - but this is AFTER we've paid our taxes via PAYE!

And for all those applauding Barlow and others like him (I'm guessing over 3/4 of those on the show tonight do the same as him) will also clap their hands and cheer every time there is an announcement of hospital ward closures, cut-backs to the police and emergency services and military personnel going into war zones without proper equipment - because THAT is the result of people and organisations 'legally' avoiding their taxes.

Completely agree.

Instead of focusing on benefit cheats (who are tiny in terms of revenue compared to tax cheats), chumps like Barlow are a disgrace and should be forced to pay all the tax they owe.
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet his accountant does everything to do with his finances and any investments, someone with his money won't be sat doing his online banking every week and probably hasn't got a clue about how much money he has and where it is, that's what he pays his accountant for.

People may be on their high horse about others using tax avoidance loopholes but if they are there and not illegal why not use them. If you had that sort of money and your accountant told you about an investment scheme and recommend you use it, would you refuse?

If the money saved by using the investment scheme was donated to charity, how would you view that?

Would you prefer to see your money going to Help the heros, a hospice or something similar or would you prefer to see the government donate your taxes to a country that has repeatedly said they don't want it or something you don't agree with.
    If we had a chance I am sure we would all love a say in where our taxes go, unfortunatley the majority of us will never experience the wealth of celebrities so it will never be something we have to consider.
  • pwuzpwuz Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's not doing anything illegal, so....

Plenty of highly immoral things are perfectly legal, doesn't make them right.

This time next year what he's doing now will probably be illegal when they close the loop hole, so he will move onto something else "perfectly legal" (at the moment)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting though - that of Take That - Jason Orange was the only one not implicated in such tax avoidance schemes - but it is well known that Orange is a man of principles.

Neither was Robbie
  • MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tigragirl wrote: »
    I bet his accountant does everything to do with his finances and any investments, someone with his money won't be sat doing his online banking every week and probably hasn't got a clue about how much money he has and where it is, that's what he pays his accountant for.

I'm sure rich people can indicate to their accountants what level of tax avoidance they want to be involved in...Some probably say, just the stuff that is reasonable, and some rich people probably tell their accountant to find as many loopholes as they can.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely loathe the concept of celebs urging people to donate to charity. They/those who organise this stuff don't seem to stop and think about the fact that a lot of people who donate to charity are actually struggling themselves but I think the rich asking the non-rich to empty their pockets is heinous anyway. While I think CIN is a worthy cause, I hate the television show and all the promotion to do with it because of this sort of thing. I'd go as far as saying it disgusts me and only succeeds in making me avoid anything to do with it where possible.
    Forum Member
    I absolutely loathe the concept of celebs urging people to donate to charity. They/those who organise this stuff don't seem to stop and think about the fact that a lot of people who donate to charity are actually struggling themselves but I think the rich asking the non-rich to empty their pockets is heinous anyway. While I think CIN is a worthy cause, I hate the television show and all the promotion to do with it because of this sort of thing. I'd go as far as saying it disgusts me and only succeeds in making me avoid anything to do with it where possible.
    I think this is the most perplexing thing about Barlow. Certainly he isn't alone in using schemes to avoid taxes - but then to brazenly stand on a soapbox and urge people (who HAVE paid their full amount) to dig deep is just mind-boggling. He gets all the plaudits for his 'charidee' work with charities 'close to his heart' - when there wouldn't be much need for it if he and the others paid their dues.

The guy is just greedy - and yes - he will get that knighthood.

And you think with all the money he's saved he'd get something done about his boss-eyes!
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sad thing is I liked Gary before his brown nosing and quest for a knighthood started but I've really gone off him in the last few years. I did feel great sympathy when he lost his child but other than that he just annoys me most of the time now. He's become a Bono wannabe.
  • poshnoshposhnosh Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much would be raised if all the British stars appearing on CIN this year paid tax on all the income they have secreted in tax avoidance schemes?

Also, would it exceed the amount that is raised from the Great British Public - most of whom are far less wealthy than the celeb stars and actually pay tax on all of their much lower incomes?

Sadly, I suspect the answer to the second question is yes.
    Forum Member
    The sad thing is I liked Gary before his brown nosing and quest for a knighthood
    Me too (well actually Take That). The thing that started my dislike for him was at the end of that Kilimanjaro thing - he spent £50,000 flying his new 'best mates' (who five years earlier were laughing their arses off at the mere mention of the name Barlow) back on a private charter for the last leg of the journey back to the UK. He didn't see the irony that the money he was showing off with would have bought another 10,000 mosquito nets. He was just flashing the cash and grandstanding. None of his charity work is done behind doors or even fairly discreetly - he has to bang on and on about it - preferably when there's a camera crew around.
  • Justin AerialJustin Aerial Posts: 5,710
    Forum Member
    xp95 wrote: »
    If so, I actually praise him for it. :)

We`ll assume you`re not being sarcastic here.
    He`s completely out of order for two reasons.

1 He`s trying to make out he`s got a social conscience when he`s attempting to get out of paying for the NHS, education, social services etc etc.
    His hypocrisy is utterly nauseating.
    Quite apart from anything I really don`t think the odd few hundred grand will make much difference to him, I`m sure he`d still be able to fly First Class on planes rather than endure cattle class like the rest of us do.

2 I can never understand how anyone can try to defend tax avoiders. If they pay tax themselves then tax avoiders mean they have to pay more tax to make up for the tax not paid by the avoider. On the other hand, if these people making excuses for tax avoiders are on benefit and don`t actually pay any tax, where do they think that benefit actually comes from ? ! ? They must be thick.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He isn't trying to get out of education, NHS and so on, he is using a loophole that his accountant probably told him about to use for investments. He still pays tax, far more then you and I . If that means he can put more into philanthropy so be it.
    He could just keep it for himself.

The likes of big successful stars should not be accused of causing education, the NHS, the police force to fail because of lack of funds in those areas
    The Government pay far too many quangos far too much, allow ridiculous salaries and bonus payments, pay stupid amounts of money for new IT( think new universal credit and NHS ) programmes that are not fit for purpose but too expensive to ditch now.
    I for one find that far more distasteful .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basically - he has a good accountant, and that accountant knows how to do their job.

there was nothing untoward about it.

i can't bring myself to get mad at people who use 100% legal methods of maximising how much of their own income they walk away with. i'd do exactly the same. 95% of the population would, so there's no need to get all high and mighty.

if you're going to get pissed, get pissed at the polliticians who made the loop holes and have kept them open for at least 60 years or so (i'm sure you're all aware tax avoidance is certainly nothing new). and who still refuse to close them. or get pissed that they made the loopholes inaccesable to those of us with low bracket incomes. whatever. but getting pissed at the person doing exactly what you would do in the same situation rings more than a tad hollow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is the most perplexing thing about Barlow. Certainly he isn't alone in using schemes to avoid taxes - but then to brazenly stand on a soapbox and urge people (who HAVE paid their full amount) to dig deep is just mind-boggling. He gets all the plaudits for his 'charidee' work with charities 'close to his heart' - when there wouldn't be much need for it if he and the others paid their dues.

The guy is just greedy - and yes - he will get that knighthood.

And you think with all the money he's saved he'd get something done about his boss-eyes!

you have openly stated in this very thread that you would jump at the chance to do exactly the same. this isn't moral indignation you're spouting - you're clearly just bitter you don't have as much money.:rolleyes: and you have no idea how much he donates himself. his accounts have never been released and nor should they. for all you know it could £1 or £10,000,000. i know from fact that he does do a lot of private charity work that's not for the press to get wind of, so it's not all blowhard PR work - he genuinely does it in his downtime. does any of that effect me and how much i'll give to charities? NO. because if it does, then you are royally missing the whole point of what charity is.

BIB: kath, stop. now you're just being a bitch. he has a lazy eye which results in a slight squint in certain photos, same as i do. russell howard has quite an obvious lazy eye. doesn't stop him being a damn funny comedian, and quite attractive too. so does roughly 5% of the population. and none of us really give a shit if we don't hold up to your standards of perfection:rolleyes::sleep: it's obvious wherever you post that you have a true hatred for this guy, but at least try to stay mature about it. that's just childish.
  • pwuzpwuz Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too (well actually Take That). The thing that started my dislike for him was at the end of that Kilimanjaro thing - he spent £50,000 flying his new 'best mates' (who five years earlier were laughing their arses off at the mere mention of the name Barlow) back on a private charter for the last leg of the journey back to the UK. He didn't see the irony that the money he was showing off with would have bought another 10,000 mosquito nets. He was just flashing the cash and grandstanding. None of his charity work is done behind doors or even fairly discreetly - he has to bang on and on about it - preferably when there's a camera crew around.

he spent 50k on a private jet after doing kili? what a selfish idiot.

the rest of us have to work long hours doing stuff we hate just to get by. he does the job he loves, gets free promotion, doesn't pay tax and then nags us to give to charity. what a tool.
    Forum Member
    scamrasc wrote: »

BIB: kath, stop. now you're just being a bitch. he has a lazy eye which results in a slight squint in certain photos, same as i do. russell howard has quite an obvious lazy eye. doesn't stop him being a damn funny comedian, and quite attractive too. so does roughly 5% of the population. and none of us really give a shit if we don't hold up to your standards of perfection:rolleyes::sleep: it's obvious wherever you post that you have a true hatred for this guy, but at least try to stay mature about it. that's just childish.
    You're right - the boss-eyed comment was a little childish.

I stand by the rest of it though. He's a hypocrite.