Are you ready for World War 3? Preparation time

Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With World War 3 looking reasonably likely I thought I'd offer some handy hints on how to get through it.

1. Keep a good stock of digestives and teabags. Buy premium tea while it's still available or else you might get stuck with the cheap stuff. Not good in a crisis.

2. Buy an extra duvet to keep warm if the electric goes off or we have a nuclear winter.

3. Get a catapult with which to fend off invaders.

4. Learn Russian just in case they beat us and you need to find a job with the new secret police.

Any other hints?

Comments

• BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not Russia, if they make a stand against Russia it brings in:

China

North Korea

Iran
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benllech wrote: »

China

North Korea

Iran

Oh we'll be OK then, China are our mates.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take the living room doors off it's hinges and angle it up against the wall behind the sofa to create a nuclear blast proof shelter.

http://www.atomica.co.uk/inner1.gif

http://www.atomica.co.uk/main.htm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So far I have a tin of sardines in tomato sauce. I'll get the rest tomorrow.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whitewash your windows and always carry a tin opener. :)
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wish I'd took that bet with my wife that there would be at least one who posted this thread.How predictable.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately the West can never regain the moral high ground on these issues until the likes of Bush and Blair have been stood trial for waging an illegal war against Iraq.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you ready for World War 3?

No. But I'm fully prepped for the zombie apocalypse after.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    All politicians who want to get their countries involved or have got them involved REPORT FOR ARMY TRAINING!!
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately the West can never regain the moral high ground on these issues until the likes of Bush and Blair have been stood trial for waging an illegal war against Iraq.

The Attorney General said it was legal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Benllech wrote: »

China

North Korea

Iran

The Chinese aren't particularly good friends with Russia, and haven't been for many years.

They'd very likely stay out of any armed conflict in Europe, provided it doesn't threaten their interests.

North Korea will probably be kept in check by the Chinese too, BUT if the US gets involved in any European conflict the N. Koreans may use it to their advantage and launch an attack on South Korea, if the US moves forces away from South Korea to Europe.

Iran is a bit of an unknown quantity. I still doubt they'd get involved, as they haven't in the somewhat similar conflict in South Ossetia a few years ago.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    why?

nothing will happen europe and obumma will waffle but do nothing

bottom line Putin controls the taps ,gas goes on. gas goes off

http://www.nordregio.se/Global/JoN/JoN%202007/JoN%201%202007/Graf%202.jpg

but difficult to run a country in the dark,

instead of listening to the ecomentalists and wasting billions on windmils that dont work MOST of the time
    we should start fracking now and build the nuclear power plants

in the next 20 yrs energy security is king
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    I've just cleared out the bread and milk from Tesco.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got some rather nice upside down cakes made by my sister Dolly....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a lot of people are having a laugh on this thread. But i do often wonder if we could infact have another world war sooner or later. I feel its indeed a possibility.
  • DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I know a lot of people are having a laugh on this thread. But i do often wonder if we could infact have another world war sooner or later. I feel its indeed a possibility.

There will never be another world war imho.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll not do owt, we need gas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will never be another world war imho.

How can you be so sure? :confused:

:D
  • Nat28Nat28 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its actually a terrifying prospect for some folk. Not a humourous topic :(
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Teach your kids the "Duck and cover" song.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

TBH I think it would be difficult to have a world war now because of the communication net that covers the globe. There are no hidden states of any import who can actually do anything that would be be 'bang surprise'. Additionally, one of the few upsides about having this corporate elite in control of markets etc. is that money talks, and even the nuttiest leaders can be bought with the promise of investment etc.

People often point at North Korea, but if they did something stupid like attack the South or Japan, China would invade them straight away to restore peace.

Putin's not stupid either; if there was a tangible and occurring threat to disrupt the wellbeing and fortunes of the Russian oligarchs, he's have a bullet in the back of his head in no short time.

The only way it could happen would be in the event of plague or asteroid strike, or something which causes a widespread breakdown in communications and global supply links. That might be the time when a crazy general could take it upon themselves to spread their message of hope to other nations, but only then.

IMHO of course.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    The Attorney General said it was legal.

The same Attorney General who ten days earlier had decided that it was illegal? Either way, Blair & Co. can argue their case at The Hague. If he's not guilty that he should feel vindicated.
    Forum Member

It depends what you mean by World War.

The First World War wasn't really a true World War. It was a European war. Yes it involved some 20 odd nations from around the World in terms of troops etc., especially on our side due to the British Empire at the time, but it was fought almost entirely in Europe, and parts of Turkey.

If the First World War was indeed a World War, then really the Gulf War was a World War too, as it too had many nations around the World involved in armed conflict. It wasn't just the Americans and us.

World War 2 though, that truly was a World War..

But times have changed too. Most major powers are now intertwined so massively in terms of their economies that any massive conflict, especially one that dragged on for months/years, could be hugely detrimental to all of the major World powers. It's also extremely difficult today for any major nation to build up to war without the other side(s) being fully aware of any build up.

If there is a conflict in the Ukraine it will be along the lines of the Balkan conflicts of the 90s.
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesus saves.
    Forum Member
    adopter wrote: »
    Jesus saves.

...but Rooney scores on the rebound.