• BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    BBC Match ratings are up, the highest is a 7 for Rooney:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27933937
  • ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    England will want Italy to win both their remaining matches
    Also to beat Costa Rica by a margin (goal difference)

England will then need to beat Costa Rica by a margin next week

All comes down to goal difference, and currently:

Costa Rica - Scored 3 goals - conceded 1 goal = +2
    England - Scored 2 goals - conceded 4 goals = -2

So technically we can still win the world cup. I'm up for it!
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the cold light of day... stranger things have happened. But no one really thinks it's going to happen, do they :D

Uruguay will probably get a point against Italy.
  • gladiator18gladiator18 Posts: 3,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the talk was about rooney, the whole team selection bowed down to fan pressure. All done to accommodate rooney. Yeah he was ok but seriously, the guy is so overrated. Suarez was half fit and yet still outshone him.

Gerrard was terrible too but i dont actually understand what his role is. Whats he been instructed to do? Whats his position? The guy is too old anyway and needs to retire.
  • GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    England will want Italy to win both their remaining matches
    Also to beat Costa Rica by a margin (goal difference)

England will then need to beat Costa Rica by a margin next week

All comes down to goal difference, and currently:

Costa Rica - Scored 3 goals - conceded 1 goal = +2
    England - Scored 2 goals - conceded 4 goals = -2

Two hopes and one of them is Bob.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InTheLoop wrote: »
    Hes an awful player compared to what Italy and Uruguay have up front.

So? England tonight were trying to play down the wing and cross it in the box. That's perfect for Lambert. I don't care how good my striker is as long as he has a great track record for scoring which Lambert does. Even for England.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the talk was about rooney, the whole team selection bowed down to fan pressure. All done to accommodate rooney. Yeah he was ok but seriously, the guy is so overrated. Suarez was half fit and yet still outshone him.

Gerrard was terrible too but i dont actually understand what his role is. Whats he been instructed to do? Whats his position? The guy is too old anyway and needs to retire.

We have two DMs who actually dont defend, or protect the defence.

We might as well have two players as straight midfielders and try outscore the opposition.
  • IceWarriorIceWarrior Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    All the English Liverpool players were rubbish especially Henderson. Does he actually do anything?
  • grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the cold light of day... stranger things have happened. But no one really thinks it's going to happen, do they :D

Uruguay will probably get a point against Italy.

Yeah, and if Italy beat Costa Rica and be on 6 points, they are going to rest all their 'star' players with Uruguay going for it with Saurez. Can't see Uruguay losing to a b-team Italy. England are out!
  • InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    So basically....

Italy 2-0 Costa Rica
    England 2-0 Costa Rica
    Italy 1 - 0 Uruguay

Better than I thought!
  • dozydragondozydragon Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    I have never seen 6-2-2 used as an attacking formation before,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it wrong for me to still think we have a chance. I mean we need ITALY to beat Uruguay and Costa Rica (hopefully by 3 or 4 each). Then it is back in our own hands.

As miracles go this is one I could see happening. Even in this world cup.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Gerrard now plays deeper in a holding position. Problem is he doesn't have any of the imagination and vision of someone like Pirlo which makes him pretty much ineffective.
  • InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    So? England tonight were trying to play down the wing and cross it in the box. That's perfect for Lambert. I don't care how good my striker is as long as he has a great track record for scoring which Lambert does. Even for England.

Yeah I get this. Though when I saw Lambert after he came on he was near the blooming touchline- frustrating! We definitely needed a physical threat in the box
    Forum Member
    grazman wrote: »
    Yeah, and if Italy beat Costa Rica and be on 6 points, they are going to rest all their 'star' players with Uruguay going for it with Saurez. Can't see Uruguay losing to a b-team Italy. England are out!

Uruguay will be worried that Costa Rica might beat England and dumping them out as well. Assuming they don't beat Italy themselves. So that may be something to clutch on to in that Uruguay can't totally relax against Italy and may be a bit nervy too. First things first though, Italy v Costa Rica.
  • mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it wrong for me to still think we have a chance. I mean we need ITALY to beat Uruguay and Costa Rica (hopefully by 3 or 4 each). Then it is back in our own hands.

who knows, someone thought england might have won tonight because the weather suited them
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes.

Time to get out the Panini sticker album and dream of what could have been.
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically....

Italy 2-0 Costa Rica
    England 2-0 Costa Rica
    Italy 1 - 0 Uruguay

Better than I thought!

But if Italy beat Costa Rica they will rest their best players so may then lose against Uruguay. They will have progressed anyway so not be bothered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I get this. Though when I saw Lambert after he came on he was near the blooming touchline- frustrating! We definitely needed a physical threat in the box

True. It seemed to be a hoof it to Lambert approach in the last 10. For some reason Roy likes to use him as a target man when that really isn't what he is. If you need someone in the box for a cross he'll be there but he is also capable of a 30 yard pass, holding up the ball and well... scoring. He could be used very effectively against Costa Rica. But we all know it will probably be the same team as tonight.

Against Costa Rica one thing above all us we need to be offensive and score goals. This team so far is not doing that. Get rid of Gerrard and bring in Lallana and Barkley from the beginning. Play Lambert and Lallana at the same time there for getting the link up that has worked brilliantly at Southampton for the past 4/5 years.
    Forum Member
    Gerrard now plays deeper in a holding position. Problem is he doesn't have any of the imagination and vision of someone like Pirlo which makes him pretty much ineffective.

He's very good at passing it sideways. Gerrard is finished at international level. I am expecting him to call it day for England after this tournament before he is axed. He can then carry on with Liverpool for another couple of years or so without the baggage of international football to worry about. I hope he does anyway.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Gerrard ****ing up at the biggest moment for the second time this season.

What was the first time?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was the first time?

He allowed Demba Ba through for Chelsea against Liverpool with only two games left which essentialy ruined their chances of winning the league. I thought the same thing when it happened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nailz wrote: »
    But if Italy beat Costa Rica they will rest their best players so may then lose against Uruguay. They will have progressed anyway so not be bothered.

If Italy beat Costa Rica it would be.

Italy 6
    Uruguay 3
    Costa Rica 3
    England 0

Costa Rica and Uruguay could still progress over Italy. They wont risk it.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nailz wrote: »

Italy can't guarantee progress until their third game. If Italy beat Costa Rica, they can still possibly go out on goal difference if Uruguay beat them and Costa Rica beat England.