All 5 Garth Brooks Dublin Shows Officially Cancelled

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
Forum Member
Source:
http://rte.ie/news/2014/0714/630770-garth-brooks

What a shame, a lot of money has been wasted and a lot of people will not get to see their hero perform live. Shame on the DDC for this.

Comments

• Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sublime.
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can somebody explain me this, I'm not from Ireland so I'm not familiar that much about this scandal.

From what I understood from the media, concerts at Croke Park are held only 3 times per year, right? And this year there have been already 3 1D concerts, so it would have been 8 altogether concerts had Brooks performed, right?

I get that people should have allowed the concerts since he is a legend and tickets have all been sold out since February, BUT at the same time, I feel Brooks should have made the compromise, 3 nights is still great - plus, they even tried to negotiate some more with him but he declined the offer.

I mean, if the deal is 3 concerts per year stands since 1996, I don't know how Brooks could have expected to have 5 concerts.

Again, I agree that people should have still allowed him the concerts, but I also do understand why the deal failed.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »
    Can somebody explain me this, I'm not from Ireland so I'm not familiar that much about this scandal.

From what I understood from the media, concerts at Croke Park are held only 3 times per year, right? And this year there have been already 3 1D concerts, so it would have been 8 altogether concerts had Brooks performed, right?

I get that people should have allowed the concerts since he is a legend and tickets have all been sold out since February, BUT at the same time, I feel Brooks should have made the compromise, 3 nights is still great - plus, they even tried to negotiate some more with him but he declined the offer.

I mean, if the deal is 3 concerts per year stands since 1996, I don't know how Brooks could have expected to have 5 concerts.

Again, I agree that people should have still allowed him the concerts, but I also do understand why the deal failed.

There is an article here which allocates the blame fairly well.

You might blame the promoters as Brooks probably didn't know about the GAA agreements. Aikens could have considered another venue, even moving the whole thing up North where there are many Brooks fans.

There were 3 Brooks gigs originally which was in addition to the 3 1D gigs earlier in the year which is on the face of it a breach of the GAA agreement. 2 Brooks gigs were added because of ticket demand but when the licence was sought from Dublin City Council they thought a good compromise was to drop the two extra gigs.

In response to that Aiken/Brooks went for all or nothing. The idea of additional matinee gigs was out ( that would have meant two shows on two of the days, a bit rough on the voice) and more gigs in October (which wouldn't suit the logistics).

The compromise should have been just do the original 3 gigs. I thought that would happen. The other two gigs could have been moved to Belfast but I'm not sure about the logistics of that.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^^^
    right on.
    I think Garth's big ego is to blame here.....he wanted five shows or nothing.

Moving the last two shows to Belfast would have been a good idea too as it is only 2 and a half hours from Dublin....would have been a nice boost to the city too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    ^^^^^
    right on.
    I think Garth's big ego is to blame here.....he wanted five shows or nothing.

Moving the last two shows to Belfast would have been a good idea too as it is only 2 and a half hours from Dublin....would have been a nice boost to the city too.

There's an element of that. But it is such an own goal for Irish Tourism which looks to the US market. It's maybe 400,000 fans which is a phenomenal number by any standard.

Belfast just needed a little warning and it was feasible. No time now though.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    Garth Brooks is acting like a complete cock over all this. He has been offered multiple solutions but refuses to change the concerts and acts like he is the one who has suffered.
  • SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just baffled by how many people are criticising Dublin City Council over this, and saying the whole thing makes a joke of the people of Ireland. :confused: Is it really responsible of any council to completely ignore the opinions of the residents in their area? I'd have thought they should always be the priority?!

The only people to criticise are the people who decided to sell tickets with no license, presumably knowing there was an agreement to 3 concerts maximum (which had already been exceeded with the original 3 dates due to the earlier One Direction concerts) and the GAA for agreeing to the 5 dates. Them and Garth Brooks himself for the "5 or none" ultimatum which put him in a ridiculous position where he couldn't agree to just the 3 without looking foolish, ultimately disappointing even more fans!

No point in blaming the council, their responsibility is to look after their residents' concerns and they made the right decision. If an agreement of 3 concerts a year was made in the past, the residents have every right to protest against more concerts being planned.

Mostly I do just feel bad for those who bought tickets and have now been left disappointed, but that's what happens when people (aka the promoters and the GAA) let their greed get in the way!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just baffled by how many people are criticising Dublin City Council over this, and saying the whole thing makes a joke of the people of Ireland. :confused: Is it really responsible of any council to completely ignore the opinions of the residents in their area? I'd have thought they should always be the priority?!

The only people to criticise are the people who decided to sell tickets with no license, presumably knowing there was an agreement to 3 concerts maximum (which had already been exceeded with the original 3 dates due to the earlier One Direction concerts) and the GAA for agreeing to the 5 dates. Them and Garth Brooks himself for the "5 or none" ultimatum which put him in a ridiculous position where he couldn't agree to just the 3 without looking foolish, ultimately disappointing even more fans!

No point in blaming the council, their responsibility is to look after their residents' concerns and they made the right decision. If an agreement of 3 concerts a year was made in the past, the residents have every right to protest against more concerts being planned.

Mostly I do just feel bad for those who bought tickets and have now been left disappointed, but that's what happens when people (aka the promoters and the GAA) let their greed get in the way!

What I would say to that is that parking arrangements around Croke Park are ridiculous as if they have never been properly considered. And the other point is that if you want a quiet life why would you live so close to an 80,000 seat sports arena?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member

1D should have been given an arena show instead.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    What I would say to that is that parking arrangements around Croke Park are ridiculous as if they have never been properly considered. And the other point is that if you want a quiet life why would you live so close to an 80,000 seat sports arena?

Bit harsh, there's a difference between a sports match every week and concerts five nights in a row. I've seen U2 at Croke Park, and was told that they always give free tickets to the people who live close to the stadium; not sure what numbers we're talking about though.

Whoever is responsible for the original cock-up, I think Brooks has behaved outrageously by insisting on "five or none". There's no reason why he couldn't have done three dates and that would have left fewer fans disappointed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit harsh, there's a difference between a sports match every week and concerts five nights in a row. I've seen U2 at Croke Park, and was told that they always give free tickets to the people who live close to the stadium; not sure what numbers we're talking about though.

Whoever is responsible for the original cock-up, I think Brooks has behaved outrageously by insisting on "five or none". There's no reason why he couldn't have done three dates and that would have left fewer fans disappointed.

I tend to agree on doing the three but really Aikens should never have raised any expectations by adding two dates.
  • SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to what I read about this matter, Garth said that he did not want to pick three of the five areas that he wanted to go to because he said that would have been like being forced to pick one child over another. If that was really the situation that he was put in, I understand. I wouldn't have wanted to be in a spot like that either. :(:(:(

God bless you and him always!!! :):):)

Holly
  • GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to what I read about this matter, Garth said that he did not want to pick three of the five areas that he wanted to go to because he said that would have been like being forced to pick one child over another. If that was really the situation that he was put in, I understand. I wouldn't have wanted to be in a spot like that either. :(:(:(

Holly

Dara O'Briain made a joke of it on the radio, "at least we know that if Garth's children were in a line-up, he'd rather let all of them die than pick three to live" :blush::D

He could have played 3 nights. He could have played 4 nights. He could have played 3 nights and 2 daytime shows. He could have played 3 now and 3 in October, 6 in total. He could have 3 in Croke Park and 2 elsewhere. Really he's been given LOADS of solutions that indeed bent the rules so as not to disappoint as many people as possible but Garth stuck with the phillosophy that he'd rather disappoint all of them than "choose between his children". Stupid thing to say really because he was never asked to choose. The final 2 shows were not given permission. The choice had been made for him.

I'm glad Dublin City Council stuck to their guns on this one. The people's rights always come first.
    Forum Member

Because the license for the stadium says that you will only be interrupted a few times a year.
    Forum Member

Holly

It's a ridiculous statement. It just shows how arrogant he is being over the whole situation.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a ridiculous statement. It just shows how arrogant he is being over the whole situation.

Quite a legend in his own lunch time, surely he could have found somewhere for the extra couple of shows guess thats what he thinks of his fans though.:(

Not that i am one to clear things up.;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Holly

I suspect that the US and Irish fans will actually be very forgiving towards Garth and not towards the promoters or the bureaucrats.

Garth Brooks, C/W superstar, 13 years in retirement, new album and world tour, first leg in Ireland. Still there was probably some nervousness around whether Garth would still have the pulling power. It turns out that in Ireland and probably everywhere else he does. (Plus I think you get Trisha Yearwood on the tour as well).

400,000 had signed up to see Garth Brooks, many of those would have been fans from the US and beyond. This was the first gig back after more than 10 years. For Ireland it is an own goal on an epic scale.
    Forum Member
    I suspect that the US and Irish fans will actually be very forgiving towards Garth and not towards the promoters or the bureaucrats.

Garth Brooks, C/W superstar, 13 years in retirement, new album and world tour, first leg in Ireland. Still there was probably some nervousness around whether Garth would still have the pulling power. It turns out that in Ireland and probably everywhere else he does. (Plus I think you get Trisha Yearwood on the tour as well).

400,000 had signed up to see Garth Brooks, many of those would have been fans from the US and beyond. This was the first gig back after more than 10 years. For Ireland it is an own goal on an epic scale.

I don't blame Ireland at all. The rules are in place for Croke Park, you'd have thought his promotors would have checked first. Then he has been offered a myriad of solutions but has gone off sulking like a kid and made preposterous statements at every turn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't blame Ireland at all. The rules are in place for Croke Park, you'd have thought his promotors would have checked first. Then he has been offered a myriad of solutions but has gone off sulking like a kid and made preposterous statements at every turn.

I couldn't agree more. The man has shown no consideration for his fans whatsoever, and seems to have his head stuck firmly up - well I needn't go on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sad thing is that his fans are now treating him like some sort of martyr, directing their anger at anyone else but him.

I wonder what kind of compo he'll receive...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you really think that if it had been Glasgow, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Birmingham or Barcelona that they would have not made this possible.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Garth is a Nob!!!

A has been making a come back and demanding my way or no way.

I am really glad Dublin City Council stood their ground.:)

Brooks and Aiken decided to go ahead thinking everyone would cave and go along with them.

Hotels with rooms usually charged at €99 per night suddenly €200 per night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you really think that if it had been Glasgow, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Birmingham or Barcelona that they would have not made this possible.

In the exact same circumstances? No, I don't think so.

That is, they would have made it possible in the same way that Dublin has tried to make it possible, by suggesting alternatives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    Garth is a Nob!!!

A has been making a come back and demanding my way or no way.

I am really glad Dublin City Council stood their ground.:)

Brooks and Aiken decided to go ahead thinking everyone would cave and go along with them.

Hotels with rooms usually charged at €99 per night suddenly €200 per night.

That's generally how they work when there's any event on
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one has come off well in this debacle least of all the promoters and the council.

I do not blame Brooks as much as a lot of people do for this because I am intelligent enough to realise that he is a country singer, not a bloody diplomat.