Options

BREAKING NEWS EU Commissioners say "if Scotland leaves the UK it also leaves the EU''

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally bias reportage.

No mention of the fact that with a no vote we will have to use those devo powers to increase the basic rate of tax to keep what we have - with independence we probably would not need to. .

Why wouldn't taxes have to go up?

While it is true that Scotland don't get all of the money they contribute in tax, that excess goes to pay UK-wide services. Under independence you would have to fund all of that yourself - and running a country is expensive.

Do you really think you are going to get free childcare, free social care, free University education, a higher minimum wage and better benefits without taxes going up? You will notice that the SNP hasn't said a single thing about personal taxation during the campaign. I wonder why not?
  • Options
    bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    1 day before the vote and SNP still don't know if we would be in the EU or what currency we would be using, and yes voters wonder why I'm voting no

Exactly this.

The SNP have these big hopes and dreams of what they would like an Independent Scotland to be, but their short of so many facts. They can't give definitive answers on almost anything. Instead of answering these hard questions and answering people's concerns, they're throwing accusations of bullying and scaremongering. It's ridiculous. People need to make an informed choice!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »

While it is true that Scotland don't get all of the money they contribute in tax, that excess goes to pay UK-wide services. Under independence you would have to fund all of that yourself - and running a country is expensive.

Do you really think you are going to get free childcare, free social care, free University education, a higher minimum wage and better benefits without taxes going up? You will notice that the SNP hasn't said a single thing about personal taxation during the campaign. I wonder why not?
    Don't forget all the rebates and subsidiaries from the EU which they will lose whilst they reapply!
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't go mentioning all those foreign embassies, security services, armed forces, the contribution to foreign aid and all that. Unless everything raised from Scots is spent on things physically within the borders of Scotland they are being cheated.
  • Options
    TankyTanky Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly this.

The SNP have these big hopes and dreams of what they would like an Independent Scotland to be, but there short of so many facts. They can't give definitive answers on almost anything. Instead of answering these hard questions and answering people's concerns, they're throwing accusations of bullying and scaremongering. It's ridiculous. People need to make an informed choice!

Alex Salmond, can't answer because he has to obtain a mandate with a Yes vote first, before any negotiations can take place, which is a gamble. In any negotiations, the UK has to agree with the terms first from the Scottish side, this also means the UK can not agree to anything that Salmond wants.

In terms of the EU, it's been made clear that there are members who are against Scotland and it will be a drawn out process. Scotland will have to reapply for membership, a process that took Spain 8 years to gain membership. So I don't think the EU will allow for queue jumping.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tanky wrote: »
    Alex Salmond, can't answer because he has to obtain a mandate with a Yes vote first, before any negotiations can take place, which is a gamble. In any negotiations, the UK has to agree with the terms from the Scottish side, this also means the UK can not agree to anything that Salmond wants.

In terms of the EU, it's been made clear that there are members who are against Scotland and it will be a drawn out process. Scotland will have to reapply for membership, a process that took Spain 8 years to gain membership. So I don't think the EU will allow for queue jumping.

And, why should they? Ultimately it would be Scotland's choice to leave an EU country and as such the EU are not down on membership so there's no urgency to allow Scotland in. If they did, how would countries like Turkey feel considering they've been applying for a decade? It would totally undermine the authority of the EU. As Scotland, a region within the United Kingdom, is still in the United Kingdom then it has EU status. However, only Sovereign states can join and Scotland, England, Wales and NI are not Sovereign States. The UK is. So, all new Sovereign States need to apply.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Deleted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alex Salmond, can't answer because he has to obtain a mandate with a Yes vote first, before any negotiations can take place, which is a gamble. In any negotiations, the UK has to agree with the terms from the Scottish side, this also means the UK can not agree to anything that Salmond wants.

Wholeheartedly agree. The Yes voters really are taking a giant leap of faith.
    I can understand them wanting independence and to govern their own affairs, the last 10 years has almost caused a perfect storm for this referendum but I fear that there are far too many unanswered questions. And they're big important questions. There's too many questions marks over big economic issues causing uncertainty. I know if I were Scottish and I didn't have the facts, I wouldn't be voting yes.

As for the EU and the possibility of waiting 8 years for membership, that's a big concern as by then Scotland faces the real prospect of almost running out of oil Which is their biggest commodity and a big decidong factor of whether they'd be accepted into the EU.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like wizzywick has said, it would be unfair for countries who are applying and have Scotland skip the queue. It also shows how applying for EU membership is a complicated process; if it took Spain 8 years, Croatia 10 years and Turkey still pending, and might not even get in.

EU membership has no fast tracking process.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like wizzywick has said, it would be unfair for countries who are applying and have Scotland skip the queue. It also shows how applying for EU membership is a complicated process; if it took Spain 8 years, Croatia 10 years and Turkey still pending, and might not even get in.

EU membership has no fast tracking process.

Plus no one is even factoring in the French and the massive pains in the arse they are. They never wanted Britain in the EU in the first place so won't be thrilled to have two British Islands now in it as separate states.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Plus no one is even factoring in the French and the massive pains in the arse they are. They never wanted Britain in the EU in the first place so won't be thrilled to have two British Islands now in it as separate states.

But what about 'The Auld Alliance'? Surely they will look favourably on their Scottish BFFs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    But what about 'The Auld Alliance'? Surely they will look favourably on their Scottish BFFs?

lol ancient history from the mid 16th century in modern politics, seriously?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member

Probably better than a UK which will throw away yet more money on yet another foreign war as well as the EU net contribution status that the UK has.... factor in Trident, nuclear decommissioning etc and I thing one could safely say Scotland will be a LOT better off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not down to one or two countries to decide. They have to have a democratic vote. Spain among other countries have already made it clear they intend to Veto Scotlands application.

Alex Salmond likes to make out everything's gonna go his way and that he's some sort of master negotiatior, but you can't drive a hard bargain when you don't have much to offer.

He's guaranteeing the Scottish people a currency union when it's not a guarantee. He's guaranteeing the Scotlands automatic EU membership when he has to follow strict entry regulations, whilst also disagreeing with some fundamental rules of the EU!
    He's full of hot air. He's all talk and if Scotland go independent, then everyone's in for a reality shock.
  • Options
    ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I mentioned elsewhere, this is further complicated by the French Constitution these days because any new membership would need to go to a referendum in France.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Probably better than a UK which will throw away yet more money on yet another foreign war as well as the EU net contribution status that the UK has.... factor in Trident, nuclear decommissioning etc and I thing one could safely say Scotland will be a LOT better off.

Unless of course they were attacked by a Nuclear power seeing as they would be such an easy target.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecco66 wrote: »
    As I mentioned elsewhere, this is further complicated by the French Constitution these days because any new membership would need to go to a referendum in France.
    Its a minefield.
    Unless of course they were attacked by a Nuclear power seeing as they would be such an easy target.

Russia has had two subs in recent times enter British waters without clearance to dump waste. What happens if they do it again and Scotland is unable to protect herself?
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Official now.

It's been official for a long time and said they would have to apply and go through the accession process if no one vetos it which Spain and Beligum will.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member

Don't forget to factor in the thousands of wind turbines Scotland will need to replace the two nuclear power reactors in the country. Given that just 10 turbines requires a £2m taxpayer subsidy as they only work for about 25% of the time as an average due to lack of wind, I'll let you do the maths to see if it's cheaper to go to war or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its a minefield.

Russia has had two subs in recent times enter British waters without clearance to dump waste. What happens if they do it again and Scotland is unable to protect herself?

It's a huge risk! They're so blatant and that's with such a strong UK military. What is Scotland going to do with an army of 1500 and a couple of Frigates?
    They'd be sitting ducks. This is not beyond possibility. Putin has form and does what he wants, plus Russia have a history of doing this to small countries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darwins-vampire, you are assuming that Scotland won't go to war? How are the Scottish politicians any different and they won't choose to go to war?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    It's a huge risk! They're so blatant and that's with such a strong UK military. What is Scotland going to do with an army of 1500 and a couple of Frigates?
    They'd be sitting ducks. This is not beyond possibility. Putin has form and does what he wants, plus Russia have a history of doing this to small countries.

It's OK. Scotland will be fully communist by then, so Putin will leave them alone, other than to draw a hammer and sickle on the Saltire.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An independent Scotland has the cost of decommissioning Nuclear power stations, Dounreay, Hunterston A, Chapelcross, and in the future Hunterston B and Torness. According to the SNP yes campaign the cost of nuclear decomissioning will be paid for in large part by the UK.
    An independent Scotland will in the future have the decommissioning of Scottish oil rigs £30bn in about 2040, according to the SNP yes campaign these decomissioning costs will likewise be paid in large part by the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't forget to factor in the thousands of wind turbines Scotland will need to replace the two nuclear power reactors in the country. Given that just 10 turbines requires a £2m taxpayer subsidy as they only work for about 25% of the time as an average due to lack of wind, I'll let you do the maths to see if it's cheaper to go to war or not.

Not forgetting the cost of building a new infrastructure if they do renegade on their share of debt.
    They're going to need everything in place from the top down.
    Their own cabinet, their own laws/by laws, regulators, government bodies. Army, airforce, navy, their own version of the dwp and benefits system, their own pension system, a central bank. A regulator for said bank. Their own judicial system, health service, education system, their own economy, their own currency for said economy.
    The list is near on infinite! All of which the SNP hasn't given definite answers or guidelines on how they intend to implement these because they're so certain they're gonna get a currency union.

This is gonna cost billions upon billions.

Good luck Scotland, you're gonna need it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how they intend to implement these because they're so certain they're gonna get a currency union.

This is gonna cost billions upon billions.

Good luck Scotland, you're gonna need it.

Well Salmond has stated that this will be all paid for by the uncertain amount and uncertain value of oil. All figures on the oil are estimates and predictions, they aren't solid.

However with Scotland out of the EU, how who will they trade with? There's also the problem on the amount lost to fees with trading without EU membership.