Options

The Leftovers (Uk Pace)

Comments

• Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get why there's barely any concern over the mystery of why everyone vanished and if it could happen again

Well, it's been a few years since they vanished (3 I think?). In between then and where we are now we saw through the TV reports that there had been committees set up to try to explain it, the results of which seemed to be inconclusive. There were also tv reports of anger and violence. The series is about grief and people dealing and managing loss. I think we've seen different people at different stages of the grief process so far. For the most part many of the people in the town seem to be at the acceptance stage. Of course where the show goes from here who knows.
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    It kept me watching, but didn't like the ending at all- I will watch again but I hope the feral dogs thing isn't going to be a big part of it :(
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is too much of a 'get out clause'.

As far as we know, a super natural (or alien) event, HAS happened. This isn't a 9/11 or Tsunami event. People have disappeared in an unexplained way.

Yet this show focuses too much on the personal tribulations of a sheriff and his dis-likable family.

After the disappointment that was the ending of 'Lost' I am now weary of shows offering profound stories but giving mediocrity,

Such a dreadful ending to such a brilliant show.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Such a dreadful ending to such a brilliant show.

It was a brilliant and awesome ending
    I loved it
  • Options
    joel turcottejoel turcotte Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only made it as far as the dog being killed....Not watching this shit says wife...never mind.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking forward to this - had it on record all week.

But the first episode spent so long unfolding the plot that I started to suspect the plot wasn't worth waiting for. About three quarters of the way through I exchanged looks with my daughter and we changed to a recording of Masterchef Australia.

A series has to hook me in much quicker than this - there was no building tension and nothing intriguing about any of the introduced characters.

Not for me I'm afraid.

edit: It's kind of significant to me that many people on here are actually discussing a different show...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    This is why there's a spoiler tag.

In using an iphone. Show me how to use spoiler tags. Not easy I tried.

Episode 2 is on demand as well so most will have watched it if they've watched the pilot. As it's on Atlantic Vigin and BT customers won't have seen either. By saying Spoilers before you read any more and ignoring it, means your weak-willed or stupid. As most aren't, it's safe to say those warnings would be heeded. :-)
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I haven't got an iphone but can't you manually type in

[ spoiler] text [ /spoiler ]

No spaces in the brackets btw that's just so you can see what you need to type.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The characters seem to be fundamentally odd or just unlike able
    I found it hard to see one person I actually liked in the series and when that's from the beginning its a challenge to keep watching with a high level of interest
  • Options
    WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never mind the plot - who noticed Justin's huge dong ding-donging when he was jogging? Jennifer's a lucky lady!
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems like this will be just like Lost. The writers make it up each week as they go along.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I liked FF, did they only ever make one season? I want to know what happened next.

Yeh they did. Same here - to know more about the second flash forward would have been amazing - wasn't it years ahead as well?
    Not for me, but I can certainly see how though.

I quite liked FF as well but it was indeed binned after a single season. It was a great concept, but they made a bit of a hash of how it was presented.

Yeh, for me it's just that something huge has happened to everyone and they are trying to come to terms with it. It's more the society feel that it has in that way.

I really like Amy Brenneman (loved her in Private Practice) so I can't wait to see her character more.....and speaking?!
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know there's a thread in "Cult" about the US pace of the show but it doesn't really feel like a "cult" show.

The "Cult" forum also covers "Sci-Fi" and "Fantasy". It is not just for "Cult" shows.

This series happens to be come under the fantasy genre...

And the thread in the "TV Shows: Cult, Sci-Fi, and Fantasy" forum is actually UK Pace, and was started over two weeks before *this* thread you placed in the "TV Shows: US" forum ;)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2004475
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    It seems like this will be just like Lost. The writers make it up each week as they go along.

That's a bit of a flying leap to assume that after only a single episode.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I really like Amy Brenneman (loved her in Private Practice) so I can't wait to see her character more.....and speaking?!

Same here - I loved Violet and that episode where her baby was "taken" - good god that was hard to watch!.

I assume, based on episode one, that she'll speak at some point.
    Matt D wrote: »
    The "Cult" forum also covers "Sci-Fi" and "Fantasy". It is not just for "Cult" shows.

This series happens to be come under the fantasy genre...

And the thread in the "TV Shows: Cult, Sci-Fi, and Fantasy" forum is actually UK Pace, and was started over two weeks before *this* thread you placed in the "TV Shows: US" forum ;)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2004475

I've been on DS far too long to play thread wars about who came first. If people who think this show is going to be a "fantasy" show want to post in the other thread then fair enough.

Based on what the producers have said, I think the only "fantasy" element of the show is going to be the plot device used to set it up. I think it's probably closer in structure to a show like "Tremé" which used Hurricane Katrina to set up the story about how the residents of Tremé in New Orleans coped and got on with their lives.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The writers make it up each week as they go along.
    A not unreasonable assumption. Since the writers have failed to lay out any sort of story, or any dramatic device that would lend itself to a conclusion (such as a mystery to solve). They have specifically ruled out exploring the fate of the lucky :) 2% who managed to escape from this drab programme, then yes. There's nothing to impose any structure or coherency on the programme, so they are free to make up whatever the hell they please. And they are also free to drag it out for as long as they can since there doesn't seem to be anything that could lead to "The End".

In that respect it's basically just another soap. The only content is the reactions and personalities of the characters in this fiction and whatever faux crises and joy the writers choose to create. You can work that for a comedy or a mystery or a proper story, where the reward for watching is the humour or the conclusion or the "journey". But for a drama, unless you like having your emotions manipulated randomly as an end in itself and prefer to avoid chemical ways of achieving the same result, then there's no point in watching.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    I have seen the whole season, and what a strange season it was. (Don't worry: No Spoilers.) I didn't like the first episode and considered quitting, but continued on, since the premise is intriguing. I didn't like the second episode, and would have quit at that point but US TV critics (who were sent multiple episodes in advance by HBO) mentioned something about episode 3 that made me curious about it (I won't say what that was, as some people would regard it as a spoiler even if I don't). Episode 3 was great, so of course I wasn't going to abandon the show after that. Episode 4 put the show back on the level it was for the first two episodes. I was disappointed, and frustrated, but memories of how good episode 3 had been kept me going. Episode 5 was genuinely good, but nothing amazing. Episode 6 was utterly fantastic; one of the best episodes of TV I have seen in a while. After that four episodes remained in the season, and while not all of them ended up being up to the level of episode 6, I will say that episodes 6 to 10 together are as good as any five-episode run in my current favourite series on TV, Game Of Thrones, and better than any five-episode run on any other current drama I watch and hold in high regard (and there are MANY drama series I hold in high regard). So the story of the season, for me, is "rough start, beautiful finish." I am not going to say that people here who haven't liked the start of The Leftovers will look favourably on the season's second half (should they stay with the show), because what appealed to me is really stuff that is probably outside the comfort zones of most TV viewers. I have said my piece, and you can take from it what you will.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    I have said my piece, and you can take from it what you will.
    Interesting ... thanks for that.
    It sounds like I'll defer watching it and see what the collective wisdom ^_^ of the forum is as the show progresses. I can always FF through an ep. or two to make up my own mind, too. The one thing that does go against this show is the apparent lack of a story-arc.

The great thing about TV when combined with the internet is that you can never really miss anything (unless you're absolutely determined to). So if it does turn out that the episodes you like are to my tastes then it's an easy matter to watch them later.

Looks like this show could be promoted from "waste of disk space" to "record, and decide later" :cool:
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    I have seen the whole season, and what a strange season it was. (Don't worry: No Spoilers.) I didn't like the first episode and considered quitting, but continued on, since the premise is intriguing. I didn't like the second episode, and would have quit at that point but US TV critics (who were sent multiple episodes in advance by HBO) mentioned something about episode 3 that made me curious about it (I won't say what that was, as some people would regard it as a spoiler even if I don't). Episode 3 was great, so of course I wasn't going to abandon the show after that. Episode 4 put the show back on the level it was for the first two episodes. I was disappointed, and frustrated, but memories of how good episode 3 had been kept me going. Episode 5 was genuinely good, but nothing amazing. Episode 6 was utterly fantastic; one of the best episodes of TV I have seen in a while. After that four episodes remained in the season, and while not all of them ended up being up to the level of episode 6, I will say that episodes 6 to 10 together are as good as any five-episode run in my current favourite series on TV, Game Of Thrones, and better than any five-episode run on any other current drama I watch and hold in high regard (and there are MANY drama series I hold in high regard). So the story of the season, for me, is "rough start, beautiful finish." I am not going to say that people here who haven't liked the start of The Leftovers will look favourably on the season's second half (should they stay with the show), because what appealed to me is really stuff that is probably outside the comfort zones of most TV viewers. I have said my piece, and you can take from it what you will.

I would absolutely agree with all of this.

Below is no more spoilery than the above but I generally hate when US pace people post in UK pace when I'm watching at UK pace:D

One week on from watching the last episode I'm still affected by the series. I felt like I'd been through an emotional wringer. Every time I see a trailer for the UK pace I have a reaction.

If you don't like it after episode three then it probably isn't for you - and I agree it is pretty 'marmite' but if you like ep 3, then stick with it!

I'm not sure the last time a TV series has affected me so much.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Episode 2 is on demand as well so most will have watched it if they've watched the pilot. As it's on Atlantic Vigin and BT customers won't have seen either. By saying Spoilers before you read any more and ignoring it, means your weak-willed or stupid. As most aren't, it's safe to say those warnings would be heeded. :-)

As shown above, and no, when you go at UK Pace you go at broadcast pace, not on demand, not every has on demand, and others, like myself, wait till the broadcast.
  • Options
    Forum Member

They didn't as they had a plan for the series
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    As shown above, and no, when you go at UK Pace you go at broadcast pace, not on demand, not every has on demand, and others, like myself, wait till the broadcast.

Well first, thanks for the Spoiler tip - I will use it in future.

I could be mistaken but unless you have a bog standard Sky Box without a hard drive (highly unlikely if you are a sky ssubscriber) then the 2nd episode is on Anytime as well as On Demand Featured which are one and the same. So it's already on your box. If you press Record it flips into your planner so basically already up to UK speed. I'm not being pedantic but if you haven't got access to the 2nd episode then you are either using a box that is newer than the sky plus but less functional than the upgraded ones. In other words why upgrade to a lesser box? It's not likely is it? Most people will be using a white sky plus box in which case they already have the episode or the newer box with Anytime and/or on demand. The other kind of person is watching illegally but at UK broadcast pace because they have Freeview, BT or Virgin Cable and the last two don't gave Sky Atlantic. So which is it?
  • Options
    WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It needed the 2nd episode immediately after the pilot to properly draw in and begin to explain more, I know it's available on download, but that's not my choice.
  • Options
    PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    I sort of enjoyed the first episode but, for those who have watched the whole series, do the GRs get any less annoying? I was cheering on the townspeople when they turned on them when they turned up to the memorial, they remind me too much of the Westboro Baptists >:(
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    PompeyBill wrote: »
    I sort of enjoyed the first episode but, for those who have watched the whole series, do the GRs get any less annoying? I was cheering on the townspeople when they turned on them when they turned up to the memorial, they remind me too much of the Westboro Baptists >:(
    The GR are right barstewards.