Mother of Warrington Bomb Victim Not Allowed To Be Buried With Him

sheila_psheila_p Posts: 815
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm sure many of you will remember little Jonathon Ball, who was killed in the Warrington bombing some years ago.

His mother has since passed away and her wish was to be buried with her son.

Unfortunately, when Jonathan's father passed away, he left all his estate to the family babysitter, who was with Jonathan when they were caught up in the atrocity.

The babysitter has refused to allow Jonathan's mother's ashes to be interred with Jonathan.

I'm sure she has the horrific scenes of the bombing engraved on her brain and must feel strongly about the situation but to me it seems only right that Jonathan and his mother should be together.

If you would care to offer moral support to the family of Jonathan's mother, you can follow this link to do so.

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/4837088.Babysitter_says_no_to_mum___s_wish_to_be_laid_to_rest_with_her_son/?ref=mc

Thank you for reading this.

Comments

• 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Why would he leave everything to the babysitter? unless their relationship was more than professional. Why would her receiving his estate stop the mother from being interred with her son? what a strange situation all round.
  • sheila_psheila_p Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Why would he leave everything to the babysitter? unless their relationship was more than professional. Why would her receiving his estate stop the mother from being interred with her son? what a strange situation all round.

Apparently, the deeds to the grave form part of his estate. Jonathan's mother and father were divorced, so the estate was left to the babysitter.
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure I even understand this story. Is the father buried with Jonathan? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, he is.

There is an article about the situation attached to the link I posted.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think both parents should have had the rights/deeds to their child's burial plot, so how come that never happened in the first place? It does seem a bit of a mess now with regards to her other children who might also want to be buried near their mother.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the babysitter's reasoning is that because Jonathan's mum and dad had separated, and that the dad's ashes is with Jonathan's, she (the babysitter) believes the dad and mum shouldn't be together?

Did the babysitter have a relationship with the Dad before he died? The newspaper writes the article as if the reader is aware of all the details behind the story.
    Forum Member
    sheila_p wrote: »
    Apparently, the deeds to the grave form part of his estate. Jonathan's mother and father were divorced, so the estate was left to the babysitter.

If she will not allow it then we can only see her as a little vindictive and evil.
  • Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    If she will not allow it then we can only see her as a little vindictive and evil.

Not really. We don't know the details of this. Besides dead people have no rights. Does this decision impact on anybody who is still alive. From what I understand the mother and father are both now dead so really she can do what she likes and no one is any the worse for it are they. What next? Votes for dead people?
    Forum Member
    She is coming across and cold and vindictive though, I wonder what the rest of the womans family feel that this woman has received all the estate and is now saying who and who cannot be buried in the plot?
  • this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care what happens to my ashes when I'm dead. They are only ashes.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the link above, the babysitter's reasoning:
    "“Marie has several other children that have nothing to do with Wilf.

“If, God forbid, anything tragic had happened to any of them during the past 15 years, where would she have been buried? With which child? Wilf is her ex. Johnathan was his only son, his only child.”

Samantha said she feared that other family members would want to be buried at the plot in the future to be with their mum or relative.

She added: “A new plot should be bought for Mrs Comerford which, in the future, can be used for her estranged husband and other children. I have absolutely no doubt it is the right decision. Let that be the end.”

I don't know why but I feel there's more to the story or the Dad's wishes. As mentioned the article is written as if there are more issues behind the story that the reader (or just me!) doesn't know about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    From the link above, the babysitter's reasoning:
    "“Marie has several other children that have nothing to do with Wilf.

“If, God forbid, anything tragic had happened to any of them during the past 15 years, where would she have been buried? With which child? Wilf is her ex. Johnathan was his only son, his only child.”

Samantha said she feared that other family members would want to be buried at the plot in the future to be with their mum or relative.

She added: “A new plot should be bought for Mrs Comerford which, in the future, can be used for her estranged husband and other children. I have absolutely no doubt it is the right decision. Let that be the end.”

I don't know why but I feel there's more to the story or the Dad's wishes. As mentioned the article is written as if there are more issues behind the story that the reader (or just me!) doesn't know about.

I'm not aware of any issues but whatever issues there may or may not be, no-one should deny Mrs Comerford's wishes.

The babysitter could say no if any further relatives wanted to be buried there and that would probably be the end of it.

I really hope she reconsiders. Both sides of Jonathon's family have suffered enough already.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    i am marie comerfords sister i am going to try explain why we are having to fight for this.the baby sitter was left wilfs estate,the deeds to johnathons grave where in his possession so therefore the solicitors say we need the babysitters permission.we believe tho that the deeds should have been passed to our marie after wilf died and now to her other sons after she passed away.the only excuses the babysitter has given for refusing is that she thinks she is acting in wilfs interest.what she does not understand is that wilf and our marie did actually get on before he died it is in my belief that he would not have objected to her being allowed to rest with their baby boy,nor did he state anything in his will. the other reason is she thinks other family members would want to be buried there too! not true at all none of the family would want this and would sign a contract to say so.all the family want is for mother and son to be together
    Forum Member
    please follow this link and vote for my sister to be laid to rest with her baby whttp://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/...er_son/?ref=mcith
    Forum Member
    sofieellis wrote: »
    I'm not sure I even understand this story. Is the father buried with Jonathan? :confused:

yes he is buried there and rightly so as should my sister
    Forum Member
    when wilf died in 2004 he left his estate to the babysitter as he had no family,but with regards to the deeds they should have been passed on to my sister marie comerford as next of kin to johnathon
  • ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that this is not the babysitters decision to make unless she was in a relationship with the father and knew his mind at the time he passed.

I can understand her point that what will happen when other children she has want to be laid to rest with their mum and that would mean them also lying with a man they have no relation to. But as I said, unless she was involved with the father, this should be a family decision and not the decision of someone who was left it in a will.
  • TOOTandcomeinTOOTandcomein Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i am marie comerfords sister i am going to try explain why we are having to fight for this.the baby sitter was left wilfs estate,the deeds to johnathons grave where in his possession so therefore the solicitors say we need the babysitters permission.we believe tho that the deeds should have been passed to our marie after wilf died and now to her other sons after she passed away.the only excuses the babysitter has given for refusing is that she thinks she is acting in wilfs interest.what she does not understand is that wilf and our marie did actually get on before he died it is in my belief that he would not have objected to her being allowed to rest with their baby boy,nor did he state anything in his will. the other reason is she thinks other family members would want to be buried there too! not true at all none of the family would want this and would sign a contract to say so.all the family want is for mother and son to be together

This is a sad case and I do not want to make any harsh judgements here, but, if Wilf and Marie got on then why did Wilf not make allowances for Marie to be intered with her son in his will? All this could have been avoided with a little aforethought IMO. Did Marie actually explain her wishes to Wilf? and if not then why not? Why is the babysitter being so obtuse in this or does she think she is acting on what Wilf wanted? It's all rather vague and makes it difficult to decide who's side to take. All I know is the heartbreak I felt as a mother when I saw that little boys face in the news at the time of the atrocity:( and I am sorry his name is now linked with to such a sad state of affairs.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    i find it awful that she can refuse marie her last wishes, she must have a heart of stone - or even no heart.

hopefully DSers will come up with a solution for marie and her family or even better the babysitter will see some sense.
    Forum Member
    ValLambert wrote: »
    I think that this is not the babysitters decision to make unless she was in a relationship with the father and knew his mind at the time he passed.

I can understand her point that what will happen when other children she has want to be laid to rest with their mum and that would mean them also lying with a man they have no relation to. But as I said, unless she was involved with the father, this should be a family decision and not the decision of someone who was left it in a will.

no other member of the family wish to be buried there and would sign a legal document.we only want to fulfill my sisters wish to be with her baby again,she greived for him for 16 years and died of a broken heart in march 2009.and no the babysitter was not in a relationship with him.
  • ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no other member of the family wish to be buried there and would sign a legal document.we only want to fulfill my sisters wish to be with her baby again,she greived for him for 16 years and died of a broken heart in march 2009.and no the babysitter was not in a relationship with him.

I remember seeing you sister on the TV talking about her son, she seemed a broken woman then. It's a testament to her and her family that she made it through so long. I wish you well in this. It's an awful situation and I cant see what can be gained by refusing this poor womans dying wish if what you say is right. I hope your sister finds the peace that was missing from the latter years of her life.
    Forum Member
    This is a sad case and I do not want to make any harsh judgements here, but, if Wilf and Marie got on then why did Wilf not make allowances for Marie to be intered with her son in his will? All this could have been avoided with a little aforethought IMO. Did Marie actually explain her wishes to Wilf? and if not then why not? Why is the babysitter being so obtuse in this or does she think she is acting on what Wilf wanted? It's all rather vague and makes it difficult to decide who's side to take. All I know is the heartbreak I felt as a mother when I saw that little boys face in the news at the time of the atrocity:( and I am sorry his name is now linked with to such a sad state of affairs.

none of us could foresee that this would happen.as johnathons funeral and grave were paid for by the wbc we all stupidly presumed our marie had the same rights as wilf
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delete

The message I was responding to seems to have disapppeared.
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eileen, thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions. Your family have obviously suffered tremendously already as a result of Jonathan's death, and now Marie's death too.

I really hope this can be resolved amicably - as a Mum, I can understand your sister wanting to be buried with her child. What I can't get my head round is why the babysitter would possibly object to it, especially if other family members are willing to sign contracts. I understand that she is undoubtedly traumatised by the events surrounding Jonathan's death, but I don't see how her current actions can possibly help anyone, including herself.

I hope the council will over-rule this decision, or that Samantha will have a change of heart.
    Forum Member
    sofieellis wrote: »
    Eileen, thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions. Your family have obviously suffered tremendously already as a result of Jonathan's death, and now Marie's death too.

I really hope this can be resolved amicably - as a Mum, I can understand your sister wanting to be buried with her child. What I can't get my head round is why the babysitter would possibly object to it, especially if other family members are willing to sign contracts. I understand that she is undoubtedly traumatised by the events surrounding Jonathan's death, but I don't see how her current actions can possibly help anyone, including herself.

I hope the council will over-rule this decision, or that Samantha will have a change of heart.

we live in hope thankyou for your kind words it means alot to us