** Under The Dome - Season 1 (US PACE) **

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    iHelix wrote: »
    Ah, I don't remember seeing the two people digging under the dome.

There's also the fact that the town's population seems amazingly calm considering the danger they're all in. They're completely isolated from the outside world, and for all they know the dome is slowly smothering them all, and yet it's business as usual. Realistically, there would be absolute pandemonium on the streets, with people making every effort to escape. The fact that it hardly seems like a concern to a lot of these people is incredibly bizarre. It's like the danger has just been sucked right from the situation.

Hopefully there is enough of an eco system in the dome for them to be self sufficient in air, water and food.

We know water can get through the dome so they may be able to get more water if they need it.

Food will become basic meat and veg eventually as they probably won't be able to process food, but have to farm it.

Air should be OK if they look after the plants and don't pollute the atmosphere too much.

Not sure if it will rain in the dome.
  • Andrew_BallardAndrew_Ballard Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found the show so awful I went and spoilered it for myself, and am very glad I did.
  • Otis HillOtis Hill Posts: 2,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody except the 2 kids know about water being able to get through the dome. I presume they will tell everyone once the current situation with the dead cop is handled. Since water can permeate the dome then that probably indicates that air can too and maybe the smoke from Duke's house will also filter out through the dome.

I'm guessing that from the way Big Jim was looking at Barbie an how fast Barbie reacted to the crazy cop he either thinks Barbie could be trouble or is eyeing him up as a replacement for Duke /extra police officer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found the show so awful I went and spoilered it for myself, and am very glad I did.

If you are referring to book spoilers please keep it to yourself.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Otis Hill wrote: »
    ... or is eyeing him up as a replacement for Duke /extra police officer.

That's the trope I'm expecting, though he's no "Lucas Hood"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see Big Jim being the big bad of this series....
    Obviously he is some sort of dealer/grower....something to do with drugs anyway, as e said to the reverend "are you using our stuff?" or something like that.

The fact that smoke cannot leave the dome tells us something....

They can't stay under there forever...pollution is going to be a big problem and I'm interested to see what the seizures mean "Pink stars are falling" I'm guessing is a hint of something to come.
    Next week's preview has more seizures..
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    I can see Big Jim being the big bad of this series....
    Obviously he is some sort of dealer/grower....something to do with drugs anyway, as e said to the reverend "are you using our stuff?" or something like that.

I thought about that but equally they could have been stockpiling propane because there's a hard winter coming (I know it won't be that it's just an example) or something that would allow price gauging the locals and the Rev could just have been huffing the propane.

Personally I see big red fish in the propane story
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    I thought about that but equally they could have been stockpiling propane because there's a hard winter coming (I know it won't be that it's just an example) or something that would allow price gauging the locals and the Rev could just have been huffing the propane.

Personally I see big red fish in the propane story
    Could be that too....but a series like this needs a villain(s)...
    and I think Big Jim & Junior will be the main villains for this series...

This is the kinda show that you wish you didn't know about until it was over.....I really need to see some more episodes, very soon!
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with koantemplation about Junior. His paranoia is hilarious and not in a good way :D. The whole plotline of Junior keeping his girlfriend captive seems detached from the rest of the show and the main storyline - which is the major problem here. And it annoys me how he keeps following Barbie around - leave the poor guy alone :D.
    Junior also comes across pretty one-dimensional as a "psycho" because we've only ever seen him in psycho-mode - and not seen him in more everyday human scenes. There was a minor scene in the pilot with his father Big Jim where Junior seemed more human, so we need to see more of that relationship. It seems Junior seeks his father's love and maybe having Big Jim as a father has twisted him into the paranoid psycho we see now.

As for the episode in general, I thought it was an average to decent episode. There were some interesting scenes, but also some meh scenes. One interesting scene was the one with Nerdy Farm Kid and his friend who discover that small amounts of water pass through the Dome. Also, the scene with them finding the two legs that were severed by the Dome was both horrific and oddly amusing for me :o:D.
    On the other hand, I can't say I was that interested in the fire attack at the Sheriff's house, but it did bring the cast altogether (well except Junior :D). Personally, I like it when the whole cast of an ensemble TV series are brought together to solve a problem as it adds to the scale of the episode. Although, maybe the writers should refrain from doing it too often over the course of the season.

One question though, does this mean we can expect more fires in Chester's Mill? Because the Reporter Lady said that it hadn't rained in Chester's Mill for weeks or something and that's why the fire spread so quickly out of control. And now that they're under the Dome, surely they won't get any more rain for the foreseeable future? Sure water can pass through the Dome, but that's only if you put your hand on the barrier. I'm not sure rain drops can actually drop through the Dome and into the town. If they don't get rain, how will grow they their own crops and food? Certainly something that will need to be made clear in upcoming episodes.

Finally, we had Barbie and his flashback at the beginning of the episode. So it looks like Barbie isn't a hitman, but rather a debt collector and didn't actually murder Reporter Lady's husband in cold blood. It was an accident that arose from them struggling with each other on the ground. I had a feeling that's what it would be :D. After all, nobody wants a hero who is a cold-blooded immoral killer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    I

One question though, does this mean we can expect more fires in Chester's Mill? Because the Reporter Lady said that it hadn't rained in Chester's Mill for weeks or something and that's why the fire spread so quickly out of control. And now that they're under the Dome, surely they won't get any more rain for the foreseeable future? Sure water can pass through the Dome, but that's only if you put your hand on the barrier. I'm not sure rain drops can actually drop through the Dome and into the town. If they don't get rain, how will grow they their own crops and food? Certainly something that will need to be made clear in upcoming episodes.

Have you not seen the film Bio Dome?

They could have a self contained eco system in the dome.

I'm not sure if there is a lake in the area but if the lake warms up then it will create condensation which should create rain or at least moisture on the underside of the dome which might drip down.

If not they would have to create some sort of sprinkler system.

They are probably dry at the moment while the eco system sorts itself out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with koantemplation about Junior. His paranoia is hilarious and not in a good way :D. The whole plotline of Junior keeping his girlfriend captive seems detached from the rest of the show and the main storyline - which is the major problem here. And it annoys me how he keeps following Barbie around - leave the poor guy alone :D.
    Junior also comes across pretty one-dimensional as a "psycho" because we've only ever seen him in psycho-mode - and not seen him in more everyday human scenes. There was a minor scene in the pilot with his father Big Jim where Junior seemed more human, so we need to see more of that relationship. It seems Junior seeks his father's love and maybe having Big Jim as a father has twisted him into the paranoid psycho we see now.

As for the episode in general, I thought it was an average to decent episode. There were some interesting scenes, but also some meh scenes. One interesting scene was the one with Nerdy Farm Kid and his friend who discover that small amounts of water pass through the Dome. Also, the scene with them finding the two legs that were severed by the Dome was both horrific and oddly amusing for me :o:D.
    On the other hand, I can't say I was that interested in the fire attack at the Sheriff's house, but it did bring the cast altogether (well except Junior :D). Personally, I like it when the whole cast of an ensemble TV series are brought together to solve a problem as it adds to the scale of the episode. Although, maybe the writers should refrain from doing it too often over the course of the season.

Finally, we had Barbie and his flashback at the beginning of the episode. So it looks like Barbie isn't a hitman, but rather a debt collector and didn't actually murder Reporter Lady's husband in cold blood. It was an accident that arose from them struggling with each other on the ground. I had a feeling that's what it would be :D. After all, nobody wants a hero who is a cold-blooded immoral killer.
    I think fires will play a big part....they made it very clear that the land was very dry etc...so I think that might be a hint for future storylines....also with all that propane a fire could be a very big storyline...maybe the whole town will go up in flames in the finale?

And I doubt rain will be able to penetrate the dome, but they also said it hadn't rained in weeks...so maybe it won't even rain outside the dome? it could be the start of summer.

The Junior storyline doesn't bother me at all....it's been made very clear that this show is about the people inside the dome and will have very little to do with scifi etc....so the writers are just making sure they have alot going on... It's a good plot device imo and I can't wait to see what happens with him and how long he can keep her locked away for.

As for that moment with his father, you could see it was an extremely awkward hug so all probably is not well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if there is a lake in the area but if the lake warms up then it will create condensation which should create rain or at least moisture on the underside of the dome which might drip down.

I'm sure there was some mention of a lake in episode 2?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure there was some mention of a lake in episode 2?

I suspect there will be a lightning storm one time (created by the dome's static and inside the dome) and it'll rain after that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nope, I've never watched that film to be honest :o. Maybe I should now :o.

Oh, I see what you're saying. Yes, that's actually a very good idea :). I never thought of that. That could definitely work :cool:. The question is, would it be enough rain to water the crops and food?
    Let's hope that area of Chester's Mill does have a lake or they're in big trouble :eek::D.

Hmm, a Dome-wide sprinkler system might be a bit too difficult to implement. But I like the idea.

Interesting stuff, koantemplation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope, I've never watched that film to be honest :o. Maybe I should now :o.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115683/

I'd definitely recommend Bio Dome if you haven't seen it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

4/10 ???

I'll pass :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think fires will play a big part....they made it very clear that the land was very dry etc...so I think that might be a hint for future storylines....also with all that propane a fire could be a very big storyline...maybe the whole town will go up in flames in the finale?

And I doubt rain will be able to penetrate the dome, but they also said it hadn't rained in weeks...so maybe it won't even rain outside the dome? it could be the start of summer.

The Junior storyline doesn't bother me at all....it's been made very clear that this show is about the people inside the dome and will have very little to do with scifi etc....so the writers are just making sure they have alot going on... It's a good plot device imo and I can't wait to see what happens with him and how long he can keep her locked away for.

As for that moment with his father, you could see it was an extremely awkward hug so all probably is not well.

True. Could be a hint to the Dome-wide disaster that zwixxx was theorising about. We'll see.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. If it hadn't rained in Chester's Mill for weeks, then it must've not have rained outside the town too.

I agree about the bit in your post regarding Junior. But I'm hoping the girl is rescued from captivity in the next episode, because I feel they storyline is too detached from the rest of the show/characters and therefore feels out of place. If it goes on for too long, it could get tedious too. A bit like the "Rescue Danny" storyline in Revolution that was strung out for 11 or 12 episodes or something and amounted to nothing really. Nevertheless, I take on your point about the show being about the people under the dome rather than the sci-fi mechanics of the show.

Yep. It feels like Junior and his father Big Jim's relationship is one of those awkward father & son relationships where the father struggles to show his love for his son. I also imagine Big Jim has been a bit hard on Junior throughout his life. That's why I think Junior has maybe become twisted and deranged as a result of his father's neglect and harshness toward him. I'm betting you any money Junior has emo daddy issues :D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True. Could be a hint to the Dome-wide disaster that zwixxx was theorising about. We'll see.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. If it hadn't rained in Chester's Mill for weeks, then it must've not have rained outside the town too.

I agree about the bit in your post regarding Junior. But I'm hoping the girl is rescued from captivity in the next episode, because I feel they storyline is too detached from the rest of the show/characters and therefore feels out of place. If it goes on for too long, it could get tedious too. A bit like the "Rescue Danny" storyline in Revolution that was strung out for 11 or 12 episodes or something and amounted to nothing really. Nevertheless, I take on your point about the show being about the people under the dome rather than the sci-fi mechanics of the show.

Yep. It feels like Junior and his father Big Jim's relationship is one of those awkward father & son relationships where the father struggles to show his love for his son. I also imagine Big Jim has been a bit hard on Junior throughout his life. That's why I think Junior has maybe become twisted and deranged as a result of his father's neglect and harshness toward him. I'm betting you any money Junior has emo daddy issues :D.
    ugh don't even bring up Danny from Revolution! lol

I think Angie will be down there for another couple of episodes, but not many...it has only been 1 day/morning afterall. Her brother is bound to notice she's not around, aswell as her boss in the cafe.

The promo for episode 3 shows the reporter and Junior together so I'm interested in what thats about.

I'm predicting not alot will happen over the next few weeks...it's got slow burner written all over it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Despite the low rating, I'll give it a watch :). I just want to see how the whole self-contained eco system idea works onscreen. And I like to judge a film with my own eyes. Thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ugh don't even bring up Danny from Revolution! lol

I think Angie will be down there for another couple of episodes, but not many...it has only been 1 day/morning afterall. Her brother is bound to notice she's not around, aswell as her boss in the cafe.

The promo for episode 3 shows the reporter and Junior together so I'm interested in what thats about.

I'm predicting not alot will happen over the next few weeks...it's got slow burner written all over it

Lol, tell me about it :D. You're not the only one to react like that about Danny :D.

Yeah, sadly I think the captive Angie storyline will go for a couple more episodes too.

Oh, that's good. I've been wanting to see Junior interact with more of the characters.
    Maybe the reporter becomes suspicious about Junior and starts asking questions?

Yeah, I think it'll be a slow burner too. Especially as they're under a dome - there's only a limited amount of things that can happen in the town. So plotlines will most likely get stretched out across seasons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, tell me about it :D. You're not the only one to react like that about Danny :D.

Yeah, sadly I think the captive Angie storyline will go for a couple more episodes too.

Oh, that's good. I've been wanting to see Junior interact with more of the characters.
    Maybe the reporter becomes suspicious about Junior and starts asking questions?

Yeah, I think it'll be a slow burner too. Especially as they're under a dome - there's only a limited amount of things that can happen in the town. So plotlines will most likely get stretched out across seasons.
    here's the promo if u want a peak....it's only 20 seconds long...episode 3 is called "Manhunt" :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LiREsu5wm4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

In badly written US TV land, there's only a limited amount of things that can happen, mainly because of the lack of imagination from the writers.

There is so much they could do, such as creating a proper ecosystem.

While I understand it is going to be 'character driven' (normally just an excuse for poor writing), that doesn't stop them having character driven stories that are interesting.

Revolution is a case in point.

Great premise, but poorly done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In badly written US TV land, there's only a limited amount of things that can happen, mainly because of the lack of imagination from the writers.

While I understand it is going to be 'character driven' (normally just an excuse for poor writing), that doesn't stop them having character driven stories that are interesting.

"Character Driven" isn't always an excuse for poorly written...

Game of Thrones is mainly character driven..poorly written? no.

And they are adapting Under the Dome from a novel and they are taking some liberties but they're not going to stay THAT far away from the source and create an ecosystem when there isn't one in the book.... The main change of the series is apparently the ending of the novel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    here's the promo if u want a peak....it's only 20 seconds long...episode 3 is called "Manhunt" :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LiREsu5wm4

Cheers :). Looks good. Interesting bit with Junior banging on the Dome barrier.

Big Jim reminds me of John Locke from Lost for some reason - maybe it's the bald head :D. I think it's fair to say he will become the dictator of Chester's Mill :D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I do agree that a lot of serialised shows become stale due to a lack of imagination on the writers' parts. The thing I've noticed with serialised shows like this is that it gets a point where the ideas just dry up, because every possible scenario has been exhausted. Sure they could do a lot with the concept of Under the Dome, but there's only so much that can be done with it because the show is set in one location.
    Although, if the writers decided to expand the Dome and bring in multiple Domes in future seasons (as I said in an earlier post) - THEN they could keep the show interesting and stop it going stale.

I'm sure we will see the creation of an ecosystem in future episodes. It's only been two episodes after all. We have to get to know the characters first and get to grips with the situation of being under a dome.

Pretty much all critically good shows are character-driven. Nobody likes a show with dull, cardboard characters after all. Revolution's "character-driven" episodes were terrible because they were badly-executed and conceptually flawed at times. Maybe with better writers, they would've been more interesting and engaging with viewers. Essentially, execution is the key to writing good character-driven episodes. Bad shows write them badly, good shows write them good.