Options

Do you find it hard supporting a really unpopular housemate on here?

Comments

• Options
    CheddarcakesCheddarcakes Posts: 3,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely like or support the forum favourites , you just stick to your guns and plod on :)
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who I like usually is well liked on the forum, this could change this week with Ash being up he,s my sweepstake hm so I support him and I actually do like him, I just don't like him with ruddy Helen. I still remember the C4 bb forums back in the day and even though DS can get a bit wild when we have out favs nothing will compare to the mayhem of that forum.
  • Options
    SourGrapesSourGrapes Posts: 4,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Menk wrote: »
    I stuck up for Louise on here an awful lot when people's frustration with her (still being there) resulted in them exaggerating every little thing she did to make it seem bad. She was a thoroughly nice HM who was always upbeat and only ever spoke in a nice complimentary way to the other HMs. Some of the things she was accused of were ridiculous and the repetitive posts were tedious. Yet she was totally harmless.

And pretty much ditto for Sam last year.

Yeah, the reaction to housemates like Louise can be quite annoying - one of the nicest people in the house that year and yet people seemed to be desperately looking for things to hold against her or just making stuff up because she wasn't a forum favourite. I didn't mind people calling her boring, but some of the stuff was just totally unnecessary
  • Options
    IoanaPIoanaP Posts: 1,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LizzieHod wrote: »
    The forums, like live feed were all part of the big brother experience. I can remember staying up till 3/ 4 in the moring debating wether Michelle and stu (bb5) really liked each other or if Grace (bb7) was the devil incarnate. I usually pick a girl and a boy I follow for the whole series and try to stick up for them when I can, the worse it ever got for me was BB9, I really liked Jen (there had to be 1) and Stu. Its funny when I look back now, But its what made be love BB. I have only liked/backed the winner 3 times so I tend to pick the also rans or runners up.
    The trick is not to take it personally, and not to get to involved. I look forward to many more BB's, just wish they see how much potential BB could have with Live Feed back.

I do that too - pick a girl and a boy. Last year I chose Hazel & Sam, but now I think back then Sam was predictable (maybe boring choice).

This year I haven't finally decided. My girls are Jale & Kimberly, and my boys are Chris & Matthew. I am doing my own evictions of my bottom man & woman next week :)
  • Options
    ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do find it hard, yes.
    The hate for Linda Nolan on here last CBB was rather overwhelming!I can't for one second see what she did that was really all that bad other then daring to have a problem with Darling Jim!

I think overwhelming is an understatement. The evidence was clearly there that Jim Davidson was behaving badly, but people somehow conveniently forgot this, or made excuses for him. It was like he was a poor, sweet, innocent man who never put a foot wrong.

And in BB14, I supported Callum and during the third or so week, people were liking him as they felt sorry for him for Jackie's treatment of him and for the way he stood up to her once in an argument in the garden when he wanted to know why she had such a problem with him and she refused to answer. But this all changed when forum favourite Dexter started to wind him up and he took exception to this. People started criticising him for almost everything he did. And when Iain Lee on Bit on the Psyche called him a bully, these people were praising him.

To me, it comes across as if a HM says or does something that isn't deemed as positive in relation to a favoured HM, then there's practically no going back for them and nothing they can do will ever be good enough. And a favoured HM can never seem to do anything wrong.

I like to be fair and try and admit to when a HM I like does something I don't agree with. For example, Jale is one of my favourites this year, but I admit that I didn't agree when she told Chris that she wouldn't tell people that she'd heard someone shout over the wall that he was the PH, but then later told others.
  • Options
    Janet_HadfieldJanet_Hadfield Posts: 1,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the Jim Davison distractors hard to fathom, I couldn't see what they saw in Linda Nolan, at night it was particularly bad, some of the things said against him were blatantly Libellous and thread after thread was sent to the internet ether.. Yet when the series finished Jim and Linda got on with their lives and are apparently friends now. All that hot air and keyboard bashing was for nothing.
  • Options
    TheManWhoLaughsTheManWhoLaughs Posts: 7,271
    Forum Member
    I don't think I've ever whole-heartedly loved a housemate enough to defend all their actions.

For the most part, it makes sense why people wouldn't like my favourites, but for different ways. Someone like Sallie I like for the same reasons lots of people hate her. Whereas with Rachel Rice, its because I can find entertainment in her story arc ("genuinely good person clashes with most of the house and wins against everyone's expectations, including the producers") rather than because she is entertaining independently.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    I find that I change from week to week in who I like to support. Jale is still one of my favourites this year but I really like Christopher too and for entertainment value, Mark.
    In many ways I liked Grace from BB7 although the public hated her. In the house she was nasty and foul mouthed to begin with but I always hoped she could turn it around. Her romance with Mikey was one of the few BB house romances that seemed genuine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    curvybabes wrote: »
    Who I like usually is well liked on the forum, this could change this week with Ash being up he,s my sweepstake hm so I support him and I actually do like him, I just don't like him with ruddy Helen. I still remember the C4 bb forums back in the day and even though DS can get a bit wild when we have out favs nothing will compare to the mayhem of that forum.
    I agree. There were some vile posts on there.
    Best thing about that forum was that there was a vomit smiley. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and No.
    This year I have no favourite.

A lot on here tell me what I should think and see, tell me I am wrong. Now to me, if I see something at that moment in time I will write it, however, down the line my opinions can/might/will change. Now being dictated to like the above actually would put me off becoming a fan of that person because of the supporters.

Now on others I might express an opinion and other supporters will read what I say then explain to me that even though they see my point of view, they give me other examples, which then gives me food for thought, which becomes a nice debate. Some of them have changed my opinion as they made me think on another level that I had not thought of at that moment in time.

So I think it depends on the person replying to what ever it is you wrote. I love a nice debate, analysing things, asking questions to form an opinion or to see why they think that person is nice/awful etc.

I like this site though :)
  • Options
    SunnydaysSunnydays Posts: 12,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I support whoever I care to, whether they are popular, or not.......it is only my opinion after all.......I have no fear of going with, or against popular opinion........but must admit that my opinions are not set in stone.........if someone gives an alternative opinion that I find is more valid.......I will concede......
  • Options
    ArtemesiaArtemesia Posts: 43,241
    Forum Member
    My biggest problem with making posts for or against is that many posters don't realise when I (and others) are being ironic.In many other parts of the forum, this is appreciated, even reciprocated, but the BB threads are particularly prone to misunderstandings.
    I rarely get passionate about any HMs in any case.....
  • Options
    Slave2lifeSlave2life Posts: 3,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cah wrote: »
    Not really Wonkey ,but then again i've got a pretty thick skin :blush::D

I pretty much ended up as the last man Standing Sticking up for JohnJames on here(the main board) and the WHATM Thread in BB11 Similarly with Jay too :o:blush::D

I'm a rather lone voice in not minding Helen either this year :o:p

There was I thinking I was the lone supporter of John James....;)......I don't swim with the tide and usually like the most obscure people. I also have no time for underdogs I feel they put themselves in that position as they knew/know what BB is all about. :)
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found the vitriol against Linda Nolan (from before she stepped through the BB door) astonishing in it's nastiness last year, the saddest thing was really only feeling able to discuss her on the thread that was around after CBB was over! The whole thing highlighted a particularly nasty faction of the forum.

I didn't like Gina or Dexter last year, but especially Dexter. I understood that some people were supporting him because they wanted a housemate who seemed to be playing the house against itself.

I found it sad that there were women who couldn't see how wrong what happened to Helen was, especially in this day and age. The same with Helen this year, those who use her past to insult her whilst banging on about how insolent she is :D

This year I'm supporting Chris for now - I reserve the right, though, to criticise him if he does something I feel worthy of criticism, just as I reserve the right to be nice about a housemate I don't generally like.. I have, like many, supported Jale against her treatment over the last 2 weeks; whether she's worthy of supporting as a housemate in herself, I think that will become evident over time one way or the other.

When FMs take it so seriously that they almost suck the life out of friendly discussion, it can become hard work. I know, cause I was a JJJer and I know what it's like to defend BB housemates to the point of silliness :D I won't do that again for any housemate, I know I was utterly ridiculous and ruined my own arguments lol. I would rather see some good and some bad in housemates, see them as a whole person.

It was the same with the vitriol aimed at Linda Nolan last year. When it gets to the point of wondering what kind of a person you are talking to at the other end of this screen, whether they might be dangerous to other people ;), then you know something's not quite right :D When you start imagining them cutting letters out of newspaper, worrying they may be allowed near knives and picturing that they might be capable of being dangerous beyond words on a screen, that's a little bit scary!

Well that was a bit of an aimless rant, but there you have it :D Support who you want to support, but blind support can look like fanaticism :D
  • Options
    Fairy WingsFairy Wings Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    I support the HM that either I really like or, if I don't have a favourite, the HM I think is getting unnecessary stick just because they don't get on with the forums chosen favourite HM.

I liked Jonny who was very disliked. I stuck up for Aaron, because I didn't like Jay, Gina/Dexter because I didn't like Hazel. Linda Nolan as I didn't like Jim.

I probably get involved if I see the forums fav's behaviour being justified even if they do something out of order, just because 'they' did it. I see it as an injustice especially when anyone who dares to look at the chosen one in the wrong way gets thrashed on here with numerous threads being started about the "look".

No firm favourite this year unfortunately :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ABCZYX wrote: »
    To me, it comes across as if a HM says or does something that isn't deemed as positive in relation to a favoured HM, then there's practically no going back for them and nothing they can do will ever be good enough. And a favoured HM can never seem to do anything wrong.

It is true that a housemate can cross some kind of watershed after which every single word and action is construed as positive or negative on here. The strongest example imo was when Freddie got into a position of power and was incredibly unpleasant for a while. It was so entrenched on here that he was a saintly victim that a lot of people just couldn't turn the ship round and admit that all the good was not on one side.

I found the Jim Davison distractors hard to fathom, I couldn't see what they saw in Linda Nolan, at night it was particularly bad, some of the things said against him were blatantly Libellous and thread after thread was sent to the internet ether.. Yet when the series finished Jim and Linda got on with their lives and are apparently friends now. All that hot air and keyboard bashing was for nothing.
    I don't know that Linda Nolan was anyone's favourite. But there has surely never been a BB series where the perception in the house - that Linda was a warm, funny person, and Jim just isolating himself bad-temperedly from the house social life - was so wildly different from the perception on this forum. Of course, that is not what the edit told us, but people just refused to believe anything the housemates said that conflicted with the picture they had already formed. And the nastiness about Linda was often very extreme.
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    I agree. There were some vile posts on there.
    Best thing about that forum was that there was a vomit smiley. :D
    :o
    /|\
    muggins14 wrote: »
    I didn't like Gina or Dexter last year, but especially Dexter. I understood that some people were supporting him because they wanted a housemate who seemed to be playing the house against itself.
    Yes, true and interesting. As with the glee (and I did share this) when Jasmine chose to save Linda and Casey, and not Lee and Luisa as BB had obviously expected when they set up the twist, there is an element of people on here thinking that BB are in the position of schoolteachers who should rightly be rebelled against. It is an unanswerable question, unless they choose to tell us, to what extent BB knew that Gina and Dexter's back-stories were lies.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was one of a small group of people railing against the worst abuse I have ever witnessed against a mother dying of cancer. Nothing can even come close to that, so I keep that in mind when considering whether to bother entering the Fray these days. :(
  • Options
    digichantdigichant Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been watching since around BB6 but only joined the forum at the start of BB12.

It is hard to like a non-favourite, and I remember loving Caroline in BB13. However, I was never really that vocal about it and didn't bother wasting time defending her because I knew there was no point.

On the other hand, the worst series for me on here was BB12 because I couldn't stand Aaron. He was, for reasons that I still can't fathom, treated like some kind of deity, and I remember debating/arguing constantly with his rabid fans. Not an enjoyable series for me at all.
  • Options
    PinkminxyPinkminxy Posts: 3,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Defending Hazel last year was hard as some of the posters here were awful about her. Although there was a small group of us who tried our best ;-)
  • Options
    SunnySunshineSunnySunshine Posts: 5,399
    Forum Member
    I get more frustrated by people insisting you only have an opinion because you must be a fan of X. IE, I can think Daley was an abusive ass without thinking Hazel was the Virgin Mary incarnate, but, if I mentioned Daley was an abusive ass, immediately, the reply would be "you Hazel fans all ganging up again."

Yes. I find that binary way of thinking highly illogical, lazy in a "hard of thinking" kind of way, and tend to think it highlights a lack of understanding of the complexities of life,

Like those who, for instance, reduce the intricate complexities of the biochemistry responsible for weight regulation to "it's calories in vs calories out innit. Simples." It just serves to highlight either ignorance or a desire to over simplify to the point of meaninglessness.

Soz for rant, wilful stupidity is one of my betes noir.
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    My favourites change a few times throughout the series.

What I really can't stand about this Forum though is the vicious bashing of people based on their past. The meltdown about Jim Davidson before he had even gone through the doors was pathetic. People refusing to watch because of things he'd done years ago that have nothing at all to do with whether or not he would be an entertaining housemate. For this reason alone I think he deserved to win.

Danielle this year had the same treatment. Helen too. Helen of course has done herself no favours by being so obnoxious. This is what I judge her on. I couldn't care less about what went on with Wayne Rooney four years ago. Danielle, I like as a housemate. She's not in your face all the time but she can be fiesty and was the first to stand up to Helen. Before she went in the house is irrelevant.

I have to say that when BB finishes I find it hard to keep caring about the feuds between housemates. I don't spend my time thinking about how vile Connor was or what went on between Gina and Hazel or Jim and Linda. Some people on here seem unableto let it go.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I often end up trying to support people who are widely disliked. Karly, Caroline, Hazel and Danielle come to mind.

I don't usually try to change people's opinions about them, and don't really get involved in long arguments, but I don't like it when people make things up or grossly exaggerate, or make assumptions based on no real evidence.
  • Options
    jojo the joyfuljojo the joyful Posts: 17,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it also depends on what day and what time of day you post.

For a good few hours yesterday morning I was the soul fan in Winstons ballpark. The the other lazy beggers got up & helped me up :D

I have never understood the " If you like Ms A then you HAVE to be against Ms B" Or if you Like Ms B you obviously like Ms C " Mentality & it happens on here far too much.

I liked Louise too, but was not a fan of Jay, but apparently you can not be both.I quite liked Josie at the time but wanted to do evil things with a ratchet to John James's cranium

And the same goes for most series.

What is hard on here is being judged for who you like. Thats unfair

I
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find that when the forum has a favourite that you don't like at all that's when it is really tough. The Aaron fan club was very overwhelming !

I would say if you don't fall in with the love that this is actually harder than trying to support an unpopular housemate because at least you can try to write positive things about someone you like. Having said that I don't generally like many of them but usually pick someone just for being not as annoying as the others.

I supported Hazel last year over the Daley incident and the lashing she took from Gina. Not because I particularly liked her but because she didn't deserve the backlash and sexism directed at her. This forum can be very vitriolic at times.
  • Options
    dan_dan_ Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignore

Duplicate post.