Options

Is Big Phil Scolari just past it ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
Forum Member
✭✭
He used to be the Man, but now his tactics look crap. And all that long ball stuff...is he yesterday's man ?

Comments

• Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did he ever have it?
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has always been a terrible coach, but he was lucky that he had superstars on his team.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    He is homophobic as well. His comments were deeply offensive.
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    He has never been that great. Got found out big time at Chelsea.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big Sam = Big Phil

They have to get rid.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    He was never that good in the first place.

His management and a poor set of players (by Brazil's standards) have left them humiliated at this World Cup.

I don't see how he can keep his job after this.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing he was decent when he was younger, otherwise he never would have been given the Brazil job first time around. But managers can become set in their ways and stubborn and refuse to listen to others. It's hard to believe that his coaching team weren't making different recommendations but easy to believe that he arrogantly over ruled them. He should never have gone back. He's tarnished his legacy.
  • Options
    Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    He is homophobic as well. His comments were deeply offensive.

What did he say?
  • Options
    NiteOwl12NiteOwl12 Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    What did he say?

Whilst managing Brazil during the 2002 World Cup, Luiz Felipe Scolari said "If I found out that one of my players was gay I would throw him off the team."
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NiteOwl12 wrote: »
    Whilst managing Brazil during the 2002 World Cup, Luiz Felipe Scolari said "If I found out that one of my players was gay I would throw him off the team."

Err. Homosexuality was illegal in the UK not long before that with a penalty of chemical castration for homosexual practices.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Err. Homosexuality was illegal in the UK not long before that with a penalty of chemical castration for homosexual practices.

Try reading up on the Sexual Offences Act 1967 - Wikipedia will be a start.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for that piece of irrelevant information.

But yes, Scolari is finished. Aside from that nonsense, his team have been embarrassed in this tournament and his tactics and selection were exposed. He's had failure after failure for years.
  • Options
    BizzaBizza Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He always was rubbish, most of his reputation seems to come from winning the 2002 World Cup with a Brazil squad containing the likes of Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Ronaldo, Rivaldo & Ronaldinho. Anybody could've won it with those kind of players to chose from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Obviously Big Phil should be replaced by Big Sam, to complete Brazil 's transition from the custodians of the beautiful game. At least Big Sam knows how to organise a defence and Fernandinho's 'commitment' will receive its proper recognition. Shamefully overlooked by his own FA, surely this is Sam Allardyce's time.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guy is useless, he was truly awful at Chelsea, our worst appointment, worse than avb!
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's been fortunate in the sense that he didn't have to steer his team through a qualifying campaign, but he's also been unfortunate in that the current generation do not have any world beaters.

Yes, they have Neymar, but I think he is a tad overrated.

He's very good, but he's not up to the level of Ronaldo or Messi, yet he's always getting mentioned alongside those two.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't win a World Cup by luck or by auto-piloting a collection of great players, particularly when those great players who anyone could win a World Cup with had trouble qualifying for the tournament.

It doesn't matter how crap he is now or will be or was, let's not retrospectively undermine a World Cup win to suit an argument.
  • Options
    Greebo.Greebo. Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, they have Neymar, but I think he is a tad overrated.

He's very good, but he's not up to the level of Ronaldo or Messi, yet he's always getting mentioned alongside those two.

TBH I wouldn't even say he's anywhere near the levels of the Brazillian Ronaldo, Rivaldo or Ronaldinho either yet. He's the best of a very bad bunch though.
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Greg Dyke: "Ten goals in two games.....sign him up as a replacement for Roy"
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    celesti wrote: »
    You can't win a World Cup by luck or by auto-piloting a collection of great players, particularly when those great players who anyone could win a World Cup with had trouble qualifying for the tournament.

It doesn't matter how crap he is now or will be or was, let's not retrospectively undermine a World Cup win to suit an argument.

The FA and Roy Hodgson aren't listening.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally useless as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't stand him at Chelsea, a blustering buffoon of a man. I just don't believe that he chose the best squad from the Brazilian players around the world that he had at his disposal. Then I think he failed miserably to pick the best team from the players he did take. But you can't criticise his tactics..he didn't have any !
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fails at selection and tactics, very good at waving his arms about in disgust at the ref.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    He was never that good in the first place.

His management and a poor set of players (by Brazil's standards) have left them humiliated at this World Cup.

I don't see how he can keep his job after this.

Absolutely.

It's only England managers who don't resign or get sacked after poor showings at tournaments, oh, & Fabio Capello too; which ever side he is managing at the time!!:o