Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad news on top of Anthony Howard dying as well. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12035026
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will always be remembered as 1 of only 2 tv correspondents covering the Falklands War from the islands (along with Mike Nicholson from ITN)
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Will always be remembered as 1 of only 2 tv correspondents covering the Falklands War from the islands (along with Mike Nicholson from ITN)

Yes, his famous "I counted them all out, and I counted them all in" comment about the Harriers returning to HMS Ark Royal I think it was.

he was one of those journalists with a certain gravitas.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a blow. He was one of the most fair-minded and objective reporters the BBC has ever had.

So far this Christmas we've had Captain Beefheart, Anthony Howard and Brian Hanrahan.
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    Very sad news, one of the old style news reporters who acutally reported the "facts" as he saw them without putting 'spin' on the story as happens too often these days.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's come as a shock. It seems like not so long ago I saw him reporting on the 6 or 10.

I didn't even know he had cancer. Very sad news indeed.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He seemed largely confimed to BBC World and Radio 4 in recent years. He was quite good on The World Tonight and The World This Weekend on Radio 4. It probably better suited his talents really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad indeed. I can't find ANY information on whether he left a wife or kids.?????????
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »

out of years of watching bbc news i never seen this guy.
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Yes, his famous "I counted them all out, and I counted them all in" comment about the Harriers returning to HMS Ark Royal I think it was.

he was one of those journalists with a certain gravitas.

"... and I counted them all back."
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Great journo, one of the last "old school" types out there. He was on Radio 4 only a few weeks back. Sad news indeed
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Indeed sad news. He always came across as a gent.

Likewise Tony Howard.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harrowing. wrote: »
    Sad indeed. I can't find ANY information on whether he left a wife or kids.?????????

According to Who's Who he married in 1986 and had one daughter. No further details there but it is confirmed by a quick check of the civil registration index.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    According to Who's Who he married in 1986 and had one daughter. No further details there but it is confirmed by a quick check of the civil registration index.

Cheers, must obviously have been a very private man (and any not) for you to need to go to those lengths to discover....

EDIT; now that I had "daughter" to google, the trusty old Independent had the info:-
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tv-radio/bbc-journalist-brian-hanrahan-dies-2165067.html
  • Options
    mr williamsmr williams Posts: 1,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When somebody in the public eye dies, the great and the good are trotted out to say nice things about them.

Sometimes they only do it because they feel they have too, but on others it's because they genuinely want too.

With Brian Hanrahan, it'll be because they want to. We have lost one of the great reporters of the age.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    He inspired the name of this character in The Day Today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rymdJPZGt_Y

:D
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad to hear the passing of Brian Hanrahan as I did not know he had cancer.
  • Options
    Staffs SteveStaffs Steve Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Brian's reputation was imense. Whenever a newscaster introduced a report with the words "Brian Hanrahan reporting" you knew you would get an informative and balanced report that you could trust.

A real loss to BBC news.
  • Options
    Andy WalmsleyAndy Walmsley Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last on tv just last week on Celebrity Eggheads, recorded in the summer I think, where he talked to Dermot about that famous Falklands report.