The original Minder. Why has it aged so badly?

2»

Comments

• John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The later series after DW left were just dreadful and spoil the memory of a great show as does the pointless 'remake' with Shane Richie.:(
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other 16mm ITV shows like The Professionals and The Sweeney also look fairly ropey in the bright light of a modern 40in LCD TV, but on a 21 in CRT they look OK..
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Other 16mm ITV shows like The Professionals and The Sweeney also look fairly ropey in the bright light of a modern 40in LCD TV, but on a 21 in CRT they look OK..

Even on a 14" CRT they're noticeable, instantly dates them.
    Then again it's probably a lot more grating on a LCD, but I don't like LCD anything.
    That's why I've dragged 2, 21" lumpy (40kg) CRT monitors up into the loft.

I find American stuff like Murder she wrote also has a noticeable 'look'.

As an aside, as someone mentioned the Isle of Dogs, I've found some pictures of the Samuda Estate circa 60's/70's.
    I used to work with 'white, english, non-pensioners' from there and Bethnal Green back in the 80's.
    English heritage, stick Samuda Estate in to the search.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    i suppose it depends on what you mean by dated - the quality of the picture/image (much discussed here) or what is going on in the actual programme.

yes the quality of the film in minder is very much of its era, as many others have said.

and yes - some of the culture in london has changed quite a lot since Minder was filmed in the 80's.

but i would argue that the dialogue and the interaction between arthur and terry is as good, if not better than most things you find on TV today.

my problem with modern tv drama is that too many people put the 'cart before the horse' when it comes to making programmes. The BBC is very guilty of this. the producers seem more concerned about having an ethnically balanced cast and offending no one than they are producing good dialogue and good stories.

i dont think its an accident that some of the most popular and aclaimed recent dramas on TV have tended to jettison the modern ideologies. eg Downtown Abbey/Life on Mars etc.

i would argue that in contradiction to the title of this thread - that Minder and series like the sweeney and the professionals, not to mention the ITC series from the 1960's are still getting audiences on ITV 4 even today because they were very good.

it will be intersting to see how some modern day dramas seem to audiences in 2040.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julie1222 wrote: »
    i suppose it depends on what you mean by dated - the quality of the picture/image (much discussed here) or what is going on in the actual programme.

yes the quality of the film in minder is very much of its era, as many others have said.

and yes - some of the culture in london has changed quite a lot since Minder was filmed in the 80's.

but i would argue that the dialogue and the interaction between arthur and terry is as good, if not better than most things you find on TV today.

my problem with modern tv drama is that too many people put the 'cart before the horse' when it comes to making programmes. The BBC is very guilty of this. the producers seem more concerned about having an ethnically balanced cast and offending no one than they are producing good dialogue and good stories.

i dont think its an accident that some of the most popular and aclaimed recent dramas on TV have tended to jettison the modern ideologies. eg Downtown Abbey/Life on Mars etc.

i would argue that in contradiction to the title of this thread - that Minder and series like the sweeney and the professionals, not to mention the ITC series from the 1960's are still getting audiences on ITV 4 even today because they were very good.

it will be intersting to see how some modern day dramas seem to audiences in 2040.

I can't see Hollyoaks getting much interest in 30 years time and junk like Big Brother is unrepeatable, although I can see a lot of reality shows being the butt of jokes on TV Hell features in 20-30 years time. Did people really find watching people asleep interesting in 2010 and did 10 million people find a bunch of Z list celebs bitching in a fake jungle good?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    No, in 20 years they'll have a joystick to control them with. Just watching will be so passé.