What to get GF for birthday

minorityminority Posts: 625
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey,

just needing a sounding board for idea for what to get the gf.

She asked for a hair dryer lol which I will buy but since we recently had a baby girl I was thinking of getting a personlised memory box from myself and my daughter for mummy to keep all the memories in...what you think.

Anyone done one of these and have a good website?

I know if I do this I might get moaned at due to the cost lol!!

a few sites I have found are
http://www.readscreations.co.uk/products-page/example-category/personalised-wooden-wedding-keepsake-box-with-photo1/

http://www.pictureproud.co.uk/Keepsake-Boxes/c175/p1066/Personalised-Photo-Keepsake-Box/product_info.html

The above looks good as I can pop a message in but the cost seems afa high.

Comments

• HooloovooHooloovoo Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever you do, get a present for her.

I would avoid anything baby related, to be honest.
  • charmingbillycharmingbilly Posts: 1,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a lovely idea:)

You can definitely get memory boxes cheaper than those you have linked to though.

There's www.ukmemoryboxes.co.uk.

Or you could make one? http://www.countryliving.com/crafts/projects/memory-boxes-0704
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The memory box would make a great mothers day gift but perhaps something more personal about her for her birthday as the above poster said :)
  • minorityminority Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DaisieBee wrote: »
    The memory box would make a great mothers day gift but perhaps something more personal about her for her birthday as the above poster said :)

what would you suggest lol as she aint giving anything away....she doesn't do spa type things lol best I can think of in that direction is a posh hairdresser lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a lovely idea:)

You can definitely get memory boxes cheaper than those you have linked to though.

There's www.ukmemoryboxes.co.uk.

Or you could make one? http://www.countryliving.com/crafts/projects/memory-boxes-0704

Cheers for the link but not really in the same area as I was look for as I wanted to get a photo popped onto it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    minority wrote: »
    what would you suggest lol as she aint giving anything away....she doesn't do spa type things lol best I can think of in that direction is a posh hairdresser lol.

jewellery, pay for her to get her hair done, clothes... take her shopping and let her choose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jewellery, pay for her to get her hair done, clothes... take her shopping and let her choose.

All have been suggested lol Hair one is one that I was thinking of but I still feel like I need something personal from my daughter..not sure why.

jewellery not something she all that into would probably classi t as a waste of money.
  • charmingbillycharmingbilly Posts: 1,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get her some nice jewellery or perfume, and save up for the memory box for mother's day, as someone has already suggested.

Get her something little from your daughter. A photo frame?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All have been suggested lol Hair one is one that I was thinking of but I still feel like I need something personal from my daughter..not sure why.

jewellery not something she all that into would probably classi t as a waste of money.

If you can afford to do it alongside something personal to her then its fine. Perhaps pay for her hair and hair dryer and take her for a meal that night with her new hair, and also do the memory box from your daughter.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Women say to get them something they need but I will tell you this, a lot of women will be very disappointed if you don't get something romantic. If you get her a hairdryer please make sure flowers and chocolates or perfume go with it! You can get her a separate present from your daughter but make sure you get something for herself from her hubby unless you want her to feel unspecial on her birthday which i'm sure you don't!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    nice posh hotel for a couple of nights...dinner b&b, a show perhaps..
  • Tomfoolery.Tomfoolery. Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I gave up years ago trying to buy a present for my OH. I just give her the money and she gets something. No tears, no tantrums, she gets what she wants.
  • Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    hot air balloon ride
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to get something from your daughter that would be nice but it has to be for your wife, not something to share between them.

As for your wife, you know her best and not all women like the same thing so I could suggest pampering session but if that is not something that she is into then don't get her that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers for the suggestions..

I think I will go with the hair dryer (as I been told that what she wants since hers is faulty) perfume as I know one that she would like...I was planning on making her a cake any and get her friends around and was already considering the meal thing if I can get my parents in to baby sit..

As to whether I can afford the memory box is another thing lol
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers for the suggestions..

I think I will go with the hair dryer (as I been told that what she wants since hers is faulty) perfume as I know one that she would like...I was planning on making her a cake any and get her friends around and was already considering the meal thing if I can get my parents in to baby sit..

As to whether I can afford the memory box is another thing lol

Good idea! She can't miss what she never had - maybe you could get the memory box from your daughter for Christmas? Or ask your/her parents to give her a gift voucher for a restaurant for her birthday (so you don't have to pay for dinner - sounds a bit stingy but hey times are tough!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    If you want to get something from your daughter that would be nice but it has to be for your wife, not something to share between them.

As for your wife, you know her best and not all women like the same thing so I could suggest pampering session but if that is not something that she is into then don't get her that.

His GF might be upset :D
  • ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you are set on getting something like that, I'd go for the necklace or bracelet as it's something pretty, that she can wear as well as a keepsake.

The star is utterly pointless, IMO and the photoalbum is the kind of thing you give for a Christening.
  • Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An xbox 360 or Playstation 3. Or if you already have one a couple of games that you think she'd like.

I'm not taking the mick'. It's what I'm getting my oh this year, although I have promised that if I play it as well that I won't get ahead of her in the game. I think that's only fair.
  • DelennDelenn Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a lot of new mothers feel their identity disappears as they turn from a person into baby X's mom.

So, I agree completely. It is a lovely idea to get something of a keepsake from your daughter, but make the item about your OH, not about both of them.

Equally, make your presents/plans/activites about your OH, not about both of them (or even worse the baby).

It's her birthday. It should be about her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An xbox 360 or Playstation 3. Or if you already have one a couple of games that you think she'd like.

I'm not taking the mick'. It's what I'm getting my oh this year, although I have promised that if I play it as well that I won't get ahead of her in the game. I think that's only fair.

On that line a Wii is great! If she wants to work out without leaving baby a Wii Fit would be a good option and they have more 'female friendly' games. I don't mean to sound sexist when I say that but most girls, like me, enjoy the dancing games.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On that line a Wii is great! If she wants to work out without leaving baby a Wii Fit would be a good option and they have more 'female friendly' games. I don't mean to sound sexist when I say that but most girls, like me, enjoy the dancing games.

We have both lol she has a few games but has no time to play them.