Desktop Not Available

swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,072
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Just switched on the computer about 30 minutes to quickly lok something up on te internet before going to work......

.......and I got a page asking me to input a code and can I provide an alternative e-mail?........I clicked on 'I can't do this now'

I then got something about Cloud Settings and clicked on something like 'Don't do this'...........

I then got something about Apps store........getting your apps

I ended up with a page that said 'Nearly ready' and 'Don't turn off your computer' with a colour changing background which sat there for 20 minutes

Then got my normal desktop page but with a pop up window saying Desktop Not Available

At that point I resorted to Switching Off and Switching On Again......and finally got the desktop

Does anyone know what this is about and can I stop it happening ?

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows 8?
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    yeah, it's 8.1......

I do get fed up with all these thngs........it always seems to happen when I'm in a hurry or waiting to go to bed !

Perhaps I should just turn off Automatic Updates ?

When the desktop page opened there was no icons apart from Recycle Bin and the little 4-square icon in the bottom LH corner to access to Apps page
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turning off updates is a really bad idea.

It sounds like it was trying to setup alternative security credentials for your Microsoft account. If you keep delaying it, the it will keep asking over again.

I don't want to turn this into a lecture, but if you work along with how Microsoft intends you to use Windows rather than fighting it, things might be smoother.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    It sounds to me like it was trying to re-build your desktop configuration due to an incomplete shutdown. It's not a good idea to keep just turning your computer off without first shutting down.
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can choose a different Windows update settings. My choice is:

Important Updates - 3rd option "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"
    Recommended Updates - Untick that box.
    Microsoft Update - Tick that box.
    You still get notified of Windows/MS updates when you Startup, but you can choose when you want them to be downloaded and installed. Thus no annoying interruptions.

Instead of signing on to Windows 8.1 with an MS Account you can choose to use a Local Account and then sign on to each MS service separately for MS Cloud services, MS Store etc.

It's an option that is not particularly obvious. My choice there is for the Local Account however I'm still mulling over the pluses and minuses of that.

On the Start Screen go to the MS Store, once in there find the right hand side charms bar and select Settings, choose App Updates then switch off automatic updates to Apps.
    Again you will still be notified top right with Updates (..) which you can then do manually when you choose rather than the annoying auto-interruption.

Any Apps you don't want/never use you can uninstall by right clicking and selecting the option. They are going to be in the MS Store anyway if you change your mind.

That should rid you of some irritating features and it does not stop update notifications, just enables you to choose when to do them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    It sounds like it was trying to setup alternative security credentials for your Microsoft account. If you keep delaying it, the it will keep asking over again.

I don't want to turn this into a lecture, but if you work along with how Microsoft intends you to use Windows rather than fighting it, things might be smoother.

This has happened again today and there is a problem that hadn't realised the last time

I think, as you say, it is trying to set up security credentials ........the gist of it appears to be that they send a code to your designated 'alternative' e-mail account which you have to input to proceed.......but it does say that you will have to access your e-mail via another device because, of course, you can't use this one because you don't know this code until you get on the internet

I've only got one device which is this one

If I started to go along with the procedure that it is prompting I would effectively be locked out............until I could go out and find an internet café if such things still exist........>:(

It is a f.......ing pain in the arse.........>:(

It is MY computer not theirs!........>:(

I'm gong on to google now to see if I can find out what this is about and more importantly how to stop it happening.........>:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can set it up to send a text to your phone.

If you want help, we can try our best. No need to get upset.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    You can set it up to send a text to your phone.

If you want help, we can try our best. No need to get upset.

I don't have a mobile phone

I'm not upset........I'm angry at Microsoft or Windows or whoever it is taking over MY machine .........before doing things like this they should ask you or prompt you to agree to advanced security measures not just foist them on people and making it difficult to log in and wiping your desktop........

After googling I figure it my be something to do with 'Two Step Verification' but going into my microsoft account it didn't appear that it was turned on so I'm not sure....
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There may have been unusual activity concerning your Live Account prompting the additional measures. Even though I don't knowingly use Live I got a warning some months ago about failed attempted logins from Russia.

Since this computer is your only means of getting online, you really ought to make a bootable CD or USB Flash drive so that you could, say, use a temporary operating system to get online.
    Even if you sort out your Live security questions, you still have no emergency plan.

I would suggest a method to boot Ubuntu, since the Firefox browser is immediately obvious.

You don't have to fully install Ubuntu or have a full 'Dual Boot', you can just run it 'Live' from the CD or USB Stick.

Something like this
    http://www.tweaking4all.com/os-tips-and-tricks/uefi-dual-boot-windows81-ubuntu/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it just goes to show. Tech firms should offer two factor authentication then if people don't use it, refuse to indemnify them against ANY material or consequential loss.

People can opt out as long as they like, at their own risk of ruin.

You can't force this stuff onto people this way. Use less stick, more smart cudgels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just looking around the internet I wonder if what I should do is turn off or delete the Microsoft Account and open a Local Account

my main concern would be whether I could then access my current e-mail account ?

edit.......I can see the procedure to open a Local Account but not sure there's anything obvious about turning off the Microsoft Account......if I just end up with both it probably won't solve the problem
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh well

I've disconnected my Microsoft Account and opened a Local Account

Not really sure what effect this will have but no doubt I'll find out over the next few weeks

Hopefully Microsoft will stop pestering me - I'm thinking it's the Microsoft Account that they keep asking me for verification and passcodes and all sorts and wiping my desktop, though for the life of me I can't see why that happens every time they demand this verification process

Just reading things on the internet it does seem that MS is really pushing people into having these Microsoft Accounts but they don't appear to be necessary

I'm quite happy to do without it.........from what I can gather it's only necessary if you want to access your internet sites, files on Onedrive etc from several devices (which I don't).........

I don't really have much of a clue about these things so I'll just see what happens......