Ireland - The only place where...

12346»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SLÁN LEAT AGUS GO RAIBH MAITH AGAT!

I can vividly remember chanting this along with the rest of my class in primary :D
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baby Katy wrote: »

I can vividly remember chanting this along with the rest of my class in primary :D
    I went to a very small primary school run by nuns. I was in fourth class and my younger brother was in second. He was rubbish at Irish and one day one of the meaner nuns was making him say a sentence in Irish. The nun was being over bearing and he couldn't think of anything. She wouldn't give in though and made him stand up. In the end he came out with "Ni maith liom teacher". It was the pure defiance even though he knew he'd get a wallop (and he did) that made it brilliant. He's still a smart arse almost 20 years later :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    Also in Cork, (not related) we had left our rather scruffy dog tied to a post outside The Murder Mystery Book Shop (not sure if it's still there now?) while we popped in, and when we came out, there was Angela Lansbury (Murder She Wrote) patting him. The shameful thing was, she looked at her hand after she had done so, and wiped it on her coat. :eek:

Ahhh! Really!? I'm a huge Angela Lansbury fan (Dorky admission for a 22 year old... but whatever! :cool:)! She used to have a place in Kinsale but hasn't been there for years now (presuming she still owns it..) I'd love to have crossed paths with her while she was local- such a legend.. Funny that she was at the Murder Mystery Book Store- life imitating art?

Incidentally, one of my favourite Cork celebs is Maureen O'Hara. Had the honour of speaking to her in Glengarriff a few years back.. At the time, I was only in the early stages of my obsession with movies from the Golden Era so she wasn't totally plagued with questions.. If I'd the chance again, I'd be really annoying! :p
    "I am after having " is a result of direct translation of the Irish language , " Tá me tareis mo dinéir " is used and translates into I am after having my dinner

Yep and because of the continuous present tense in Irish, you still hear things like 'I do be late every morning because of the traffic...' Some of my English friends love taking the p*ss out of that..

Oh yeah... think these are typically Irish too..

"I tell ya girl, the world isn't half settled.."
    "He's like a pull-through for a rifle" (skinny!)
    "Ah sure, we're good to be so good.."
    "He's a cute hoor that one..."
    "Stall the ball!" (hang on a second!)
    "He'd do for a poke when the telly is broke"
    "You're a holy show to God..."
    "Stop foostering around!"
    " He was very shook looking..."
    "Tell me this and tell me no more..."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anywhoodle wrote: »
    Yep and because of the continuous present tense in Irish, you still hear things like 'I do be late every morning because of the traffic...' Some of my English friends love taking the p*ss out of that..
    "I can't be dealing with it" is another one. I lived away from Ireland for three years and had the piss taken out of me a lot and it was when I came back I noticed all the little things that before had just been normal.

Do you pronounce the u in filum? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I can't be dealing with it" is another one. I lived away from Ireland for three years and had the piss taken out of me a lot and it was when I came back I noticed all the little things that before had just been normal.

Lol.. no. :p And I don't say "modren" instead of modern either (seems to be a growing trend here in Cark!! :eek:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anywhoodle wrote: »
    Lol.. no. :p And I don't say "modren" instead of modern either (seems to be a growing trend here in Cark!! :eek:)
    What about nick for neck or lurry for lorry :D
  • wur86wur86 Posts: 10,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After playing a gig in a Harlesden pub back in the 70's we were having a late drink. Frank Carson dropped in about 4.30 am. just in time for the last round. He raised his glass and said " May we all be in heaven half an hour before the devil hears we're dead".
    Lovely Irish sense of humour.
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesus Christ with who? the deaf, dumb & blind?

Ah Fair City is brilliant in an awful kind of way :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baby Katy wrote: »

HAHAHA so did ye.We used to stand up when the principal came in and out of the room!!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IrishChick wrote: »
    HAHAHA so did ye.We used to stand up when the principal came in and out of the room!!:D

The principal was teaching us most years, so we would have had very sore legs if we had to stand up while he was in the room! :p
    We stood up for the priest though :) he was a lovely man, extremely funny! Everyone was crying when he was moving to another parish! :eek: Teachers, parents, random people in the parish, and even us! :p
  • MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here in Cork, we use the phrase a string of misery to describe someone who is slim (its meant as a compliment) or my favourite he/she would fight with their fingernails to describe someone who is a bit cantankerous.
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member

I do. I also say 'modren, westren, eastren' etc. Get slagged off about the way I talk all the time at work.