Options

"The Following" on Sky Atlantic

Comments

• Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think Jacob is going to be really interesting (when we next see him). He could either stay the 'weak' one or become a killer....i have no idea which one I'd like to see happening or actually want to see...
  • Options
    D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people are being far too harsh on this show. It's no more ridiculous than Dexter, 24 etc.

I'm liking it, this weeks episode wasn't great but its fun and Kevin Bacon rocks.
  • Options
    storm818storm818 Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont understand all the critics! Most of the most entertaining shows on TV have been unrealistic, 24, Prison Break, Lost (not as entertaining but popular), Fringe etc.

This is a show about a serial killer and his followers who do whatever he says. What part of that did people expect to be logical or realistic?

The show is tense, gripping at times and entertaining. This incessant need to criticise and question everything is laughable.
  • Options
    ellie1997ellie1997 Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be interesting to see what has happened to Jacob I agree, I think that one is coming back to bite.
    Its not the unrealistic aspect of the show that bothers me (I love Person of Interest for example) it's just the whole 'follower of the week' aspect of it that I find a bit grating.
  • Options
    decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the plots very samey - bad guy of the week - and it looks like we've pretty much got the same story arc in season 2. Dexter v another serial killer.

I don't like Dexter, Debra, Rita or even Rita's children - though I understand why Dexter and Debra are so unlikable & messed up having a father like Harry:eek:

I do like Doakes and LaGuearta and I LOVE the music. But I don't rush to watch it. I pick it up when I'm bored. When I caught up with Game of Thrones (I didn't watch either season until a couple of months ago) I would watch episodes until I was falling asleep and couldn't wait for the next one:D I like that in a program:D

The Following is technically not as good as Dexter - the plot is turgid, the acting ropey and the characters one dimentional at best BUT it is funny:D And it has this thread - some people's comments here alone make it worth watching:D

Oh well if you don't like any of the characters in Dexter you probably should stick with The Following! Cos they don't really change! Though the bad guy of the week isn't really what the show is about IMO
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the plots very samey - bad guy of the week - and it looks like we've pretty much got the same story arc in season 2. Dexter v another serial killer.

I don't like Dexter, Debra, Rita or even Rita's children - though I understand why Dexter and Debra are so unlikable & messed up having a father like Harry:eek:

I do like Doakes and LaGuearta and I LOVE the music. But I don't rush to watch it. I pick it up when I'm bored. When I caught up with Game of Thrones (I didn't watch either season until a couple of months ago) I would watch episodes until I was falling asleep and couldn't wait for the next one:D I like that in a program:D

The Following is technically not as good as Dexter - the plot is turgid, the acting ropey and the characters one dimentional at best BUT it is funny:D And it has this thread - some people's comments here alone make it worth watching:D
    I wasn't too keen on the 'bad guy of the week' format either, but they heavily reduced that idea after season 1 (with a few notable exceptions here and there) and the show was better for it, IMO. Although I know there are a lot of people that love season 1 and consider it to be the best of Dexter.

The Dexter vs. Other Serial Killer format doesn't really change, however (with the exception of season 2 - one of the reasons I like that season a lot), so if you bored of that already, you might as well just quit watching now.

Sorry, back on-topic .Yeah....The Following. Well...I'm still following it. ;) It's pretty silly but it's watchable. It's making the FBI look like total chumps though. I also find myself not caring at all about Kevin Bacon's character. I think they'd have been better off casting a less well know actor for the role because I always see Kevin Bacon and not Ryan Hardy. At least I've finally managed to remember his character's name. That's progress, I guess. I think the worst character however is Joe's wife. Talk about an empty shell. Her son's been missing for how long now? Abducted and held captive by a herd of dangerous psychopaths and yet her hair and makeup still remain flawless. Glad to know she's got her priorities in order. :D
  • Options
    prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I could barely watch this week's. I know it's about serial killers and this 'cult' but honestly I don't think i've ever seen anything that glorifies killing and how much fun it is more than this show. Carroll murdering his follower left me sickened, and it's so weird as I have seen so many TV shows, movies etc depicting murder and it doesn't normally leave me feeling like this. Maybe if this programme had an ounce of decent writing I would have found it less grotesque, I don't know. Or maybe i've become a big softie in my old age!

I am giving it one more week then giving up...
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SteveOwen wrote: »
    I wasn't too keen on the 'bad guy of the week' format either, but they heavily reduced that idea after season 1 (with a few notable exceptions here and there) and the show was better for it, IMO. Although I know there are a lot of people that love season 1 and consider it to be the best of Dexter.

The Dexter vs. Other Serial Killer format doesn't really change, however (with the exception of season 2 - one of the reasons I like that season a lot), so if you bored of that already, you might as well just quit watching now.

Sorry, back on-topic .Yeah....The Following. Well...I'm still following it. ;) It's pretty silly but it's watchable. It's making the FBI look like total chumps though. I also find myself not caring at all about Kevin Bacon's character. I think they'd have been better off casting a less well know actor for the role because I always see Kevin Bacon and not Ryan Hardy. At least I've finally managed to remember his character's name. That's progress, I guess. I think the worst character however is Joe's wife. Talk about an empty shell. Her son's been missing for how long now? Abducted and held captive by a herd of dangerous psychopaths and yet her hair and makeup still remain flawless. Glad to know she's got her priorities in order. :D

I hadn't even thought about that as we're so used to 'glamour' in most TV series (with some notable exceptions like The Walking Dead) But you're right:D

As for Dexter - I'm going to see out season 2 primarily as I have a girl-crush on Jamie Murray:o . I'm at home on Annual Leave and a little bored already so watched the episode where Dexter
    finds out his mum & Harry were having an affair

and I'm starting to think it might get interesting
    Is Harry Dexter's real dad? Is that why the b'stard abandoned poor Brian and didn't get Dexter the help he needed? - Actually don't answer that lol

Still don't like Debra though. Or Rita. Or the Kids.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ellie1997 wrote: »
    Its not the unrealistic aspect of the show that bothers me (I love Person of Interest for example) it's just the whole 'follower of the week' aspect of it that I find a bit grating.

It's a bit like Lost with that and the flashbacks, although I don't think it's that obvious in some episodes.
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Episode 8 was atrocious.

That said, I will keep watching just out of intrigue. Someone on the inside has to be involved and I am intrigued to know who.

Possibly the front runner is the female FBI agent. Her efforts when some of the followers escaped (when Bacon's characters takes out 4-5 of them without breaking a sweat) was pathetic, arguably deliberately poor.

The sexual tension stuff bores me, the whole stuff in the big house does. The Roderick/Louise (?) scenes seem meaningless as I have nothing invested in these new and pointless characters.

The Jacob/Paul thing surely must be covered soon. Neither has featured in the last 2 episodes, I can't imagine they would just be written out with such a whimper. Surely they have a bigger part to play in all this?
  • Options
    kitten12kitten12 Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is daft, absurd and frankly unbelievable. But.......it is hugely entertaining and violent. Love it even if it is a guilty pleasure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I could barely watch this week's. I know it's about serial killers and this 'cult' but honestly I don't think i've ever seen anything that glorifies killing and how much fun it is more than this show. Carroll murdering his follower left me sickened, and it's so weird as I have seen so many TV shows, movies etc depicting murder and it doesn't normally leave me feeling like this. Maybe if this programme had an ounce of decent writing I would have found it less grotesque, I don't know. Or maybe i've become a big softie in my old age!

I am giving it one more week then giving up...

I have to agree with you on this on this one. The soundtrack they used for that scene was just wrong. it was too schmaltzy and more suited to a love scene or a happy denouement; not for a cold blloded murder.
    The aforementioned scene was closely followed by another disturbing scene with a woman being physically assaulted as a prelude to her having sex with her assailant. All left me feeling not a little uneasy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know she was a larger lass, but to spear her like a whale was a bit cruel:eek::D
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i reckon this will end,

I hope so :D
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    I know she was a larger lass, but to spear her like a whale was a bit cruel:eek::D
    But where did Amanda conceal the Harpoon Gun when she was in the Diner...:eek:...Plus, can you fire Nail Guns like that, I thought you couldn't.:confused:
    Loved the Dive from the Window too.

Still a great episode....nail gun biting.:cool:
    Pleased we returned to Jacob & Paul, have they been at Mum's all the time, but who is Jacob's 'Father' {don't say Isaac}, plus Emma and Roderick, enemy's? .....

Ryan, still shooting first...."I don't think you have..." BANG!:cool:

And is Claire Safe.....:eek:
  • Options
    Joanne MAJoanne MA Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    comedyfish wrote: »
    I hope so :D

It's got a second series!
  • Options
    Joanne MAJoanne MA Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    But where did Amanda conceal the Harpoon Gun when she was in the Diner...:eek:...Plus, can you fire Nail Guns like that, I thought you couldn't.:confused:
    Loved the Dive from the Window too.

Still a great episode....nail gun biting.:cool:
    Pleased we returned to Jacob & Paul, have they been at Mum's all the time, but who is Jacob's 'Father' {don't say Isaac}, plus Emma and Roderick, enemy's? .....

Ryan, still shooting first...."I don't think you have..." BANG!:cool:

And is Claire Safe.....:eek:

Thought it a bit daft that the FBI didn't check on Jacob's parents home or holiday home if that's what it was to see if they were there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joanne MA wrote: »
    Thought it a bit daft that the FBI didn't check on Jacob's parents home or holiday home if that's what it was to see if they were there.

The FBI have been nothing but daft throughout this:D

It was all a bit "Are you Sarah Connor" this week. I was waiting for nail gun girl to tell Ryan, "I'll be back":D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loved last night's episode. Shame there was no Mike though
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    The FBI have been nothing but daft throughout this:D

It was all a bit "Are you Sarah Connor" this week. I was waiting for nail gun girl to tell Ryan, "I'll be back":D
    A PR Nightmare....;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just knew Jacob would kill Paul! It was coming a mile off. I'm glad though - even though he's a killer, he doesn't like it....unlike everyone else in the cult!
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I loved the bit where the female follower (forgot her name) said to Ryan, 'You won't shot... ' and then BANG, he shot her. :D
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the bit where the female follower (forgot her name) said to Ryan, 'You won't shot... ' and then BANG, he shot her. :D

I came here to post this. It was utterly hilarious! :D

Ryan: I'll shoot you dead.
    Louise: I don't think you have it in yo...
    Ryan: *shoot*

It (pardon the pun) killed me. :D:o

This show has a tendency to introduce characters who seem important and then kill them off very soon. I quite like that. :)

Also, I'm finding Roderick VERY attractive. He's insane, but very hot indeed. :o And his Jacob impression was brill. :D

"Emmmaa! I LOVE YOU EMMAA! CALL MEEE!" :D
  • Options
    wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I came here to post this. It was utterly hilarious! :D

Ryan: I'll shoot you dead.
    Louise: I don't think you have it in yo...
    Ryan: *shoot*

It (pardon the pun) killed me. :D:o

This show has a tendency to introduce characters who seem important and then kill them off very soon. I quite like that. :)

Also, I'm finding Roderick VERY attractive. He's insane, but very hot indeed. :oAnd his Jacob impression was brill. :D

"Emmmaa! I LOVE YOU EMMAA! CALL MEEE!"
    :D

Me too, it gave me a right laugh lol - don't think Emma was amused though and Jacob looked pretty pissed at her when he turned up !! Wonder how this one plays out ?

Not sure about Roderick being attractive....think i prefer Joe or Ryan to him.

Am still interested in watching till the end even though some of the plotslines are just ludicrous...... :D:D
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I just knew Jacob would kill Paul! It was coming a mile off. I'm glad though - even though he's a killer, he doesn't like it....unlike everyone else in the cult!

I didn't really see that coming, I thought Jacob's first kill would be one or both of his parents.