Options

Trying to Install Microsoft Office, need help, am a luddite, please help!

duvindupainduvindupain Posts: 2,125
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Non-tech speak help needed, please!
Am at my wits end.

Am trying to install MS Office Home & Student 2013.

Keep hitting a brick wall with the screen that says: "Unsupported Operating System. You need Windows 7 or * to successfully run Office on your PC or Mac."

Please can some kind person help me?

What do I need to do?

*cries with frustration*

Comments

• Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep hitting a brick wall with the screen that says: "Unsupported Operating System. You need Windows 7 or * to successfully run Office on your PC or Mac."
    What do I need to do?

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I reckon you'll need to upgrade to Windows 7.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, so how do I do that? :)
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Your operating system must be older than windows 7. Essentially the copy of Office you have is too "modern" for your current machine. You will either need to upgrade your OS or source a downgrade for your Office.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you advise how I upgrade?

I need to install Office tonight!

Thank you :)
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Before you but Windows 7 you need to make sure your machine is capable of running it ok and I don't mean meeting the minimum spec. Can you tell us about your machine at all?
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you advise how I upgrade?

Thank you :)

What operating system are you currently running?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you need to know about it and I'll tell you!

I may need advice about how to find it out.

I am sorry, but I am just not techy. :(
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Run this and see what it says before buying the Windows 7 licence.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You either need to upgrade to Windows 7 (or Windows 8 if you like, I would advise against it though) or get an older version of Office to use.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Run this and see what it says before buying the Windows 7 licence.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

eek, is that safe to run?
    (no offence intended)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You either need to upgrade to Windows 7 (or Windows 8 if you like, I would advise against it though) or get an older version of Office to use.

Oh no, really?
    It cost me £109 to buy this today and they said it was so simple to install.

Why do you advise against upgrading to Windows 7 or 8?
  • Options
    MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can download Windows 8 from the main MS site, but it will cost you £100. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/productID.272001500?WT.mc_id=MSCOM_EN_GB_DLC_Win8

Another option might be to install a free alternative like Libre Office. It will allow you to save documents, etc. in MS Office formats. http://www.filehippo.com/download_libreoffice/
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you need to know about it and I'll tell you!

I may need advice about how to find it out.

I am sorry, but I am just not techy. :(

Click on START (bottom left corner)
    Click on CONTROL PANEL
    Click on SYSTEM AND MAINTENANCE
    Under 'Welcome Center', click on 'Find which version of Windows you are using'.

A dialog should pop up. When you see what you have, just tell posters here what it says, e.g. Windows XP, Windows Vista or whatever.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Migster wrote: »
    You can download Windows 8 from the main MS site, but it will cost you £100. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/productID.272001500?WT.mc_id=MSCOM_EN_GB_DLC_Win8

Another option might be to install a free alternative like Libre Office. It will allow you to save documents, etc. in MS Office formats. http://www.filehippo.com/download_libreoffice/

Oh no - £100! :(

I don't understand the other details you mention.

:(:(:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Click on START (bottom left corner)
    Click on CONTROL PANEL
    Click on SYSTEM AND MAINTENANCE
    Under 'Welcome Center', click on 'Find which version of Windows you are using'.

A dialog should pop up. When you see what you have, just tell posters here what it says, e.g. Windows XP, Windows Vista or whatever.

Good luck.

Aha... it says: Windows Vista Home Basic.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no, really?
    It cost me £109 to buy this today and they said it was so simple to install.

Why do you advise against upgrading to Windows 7 or 8?
    You could take it back for a refund surely?

I would suggest upgrading to Windows 7, but I would advise you not to upgrade to Windows 8 as, please don't take this personally, I think it will be too confusing for you to use.

Since Christmas alone I have had to show two people how to use their Windows 8 computers because they were used to Windows 7.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Aha... it says: Windows Vista Home Basic.
    Office 2013 will not run on Windows XP or Vista.

Your options are

- Purchase Office 2010. It will be either old stock or 2nd hand. Be very careful if the latter.
    - Use a free alternative like Libre Office or Office Starter 2010
    - Use a cloud based thing like Google Docs or Microsoft Skydrive or whatever the hell its called these days
    - Upgrade your Windows to a later version (I would advise against this unless you have someone able to assist you with the process)

Realistically option 2 is the only one that is going to be any use to you at such short notice.

-edit what the hell DS - the new site design doesnt do bullet points?
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget about installing it tonight.
    Use Google Drive https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2424384?hl=en
    that will tide you over to do your essay or whatever assignment is due tomorrow.
    TBH if you are not technical, I'm not sure how you would learn how to use office tonight.

Assuming you are a student, you can also enquire about Dreamspark which will give to access to various MS applications at little or no cost. However, that is definitely one for another day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could take it back for a refund surely?

I would suggest upgrading to Windows 7, but I would advise you not to upgrade to Windows 8 as, please don't take this personally, I think it will be too confusing for you to use.

Since Christmas alone I have had to show two people how to use their Windows 8 computers because they were used to Windows 7.

No offence taken Gary! I know I am severely deficient in techy skills. I'm great at other stuff, but computers are like a different language to me.

Would the shop refund me? I've scratched the back of the card to reveal the Product Key code. They said it was easy to install, they mentioned nothing about Windows.

How do I upgrade to Windows 7?

Sorry for all the dumb questions :(
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no - £100! :(

I don't understand the other details you mention.

:(:(:(

What they were pointing out is that there are some free programs (like the ones they linked to) which do more or less the same thing as MS Office, so you could use those instead if you choose. That wouldn't require installing a new OS or paying more money, and you could do it right now.

Your only option if you are determined to use the version of office you have, within the next 24hrs, is to upgrade to the required version of Windows (it will be mentioned on the packaging for Office, under 'system requirements', that it needs Windows 7 or higher). For the uninitiated, this might prove quite an upheaval. I would not go that route, you may find the process a bit overwhelming.

If that's too daunting, or you don't want to spend any more money, you could try returning the software and telling them you're running Vista so need a version that's compatible, if they have one. They may or may not be keen to help, since the package has already been opened.
    Contact MS support (there should be a helpline number on the documentation) and they might be prepared to exchange it for an older version that would run under Vista.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Office 2013 will not run on Windows XP or Vista.

Your options are

- Purchase Office 2010. It will be either old stock or 2nd hand. Be very careful if the latter.
    - Use a free alternative like Libre Office or Office Starter 2010
    - Use a cloud based thing like Google Docs or Microsoft Skydrive or whatever the hell its called these days
    - Upgrade your Windows to a later version (I would advise against this unless you have someone able to assist you with the process)

Realistically option 2 is the only one that is going to be any use to you at such short notice.

-edit what the hell DS - the new site design doesnt do bullet points?

Thank you.
    I'll look into the Libre Office and see if I can download it tonight.
  • Options
    chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You install Libre Office instead: http://www.libreoffice.org/

Posted at the same time :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Forget about installing it tonight.
    Use Google Drive https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2424384?hl=en
    that will tide you over to do your essay or whatever assignment is due tomorrow.
    TBH if you are not technical, I'm not sure how you would learn how to use office tonight.

I know the basics of using Word and Excel but it's the downloading of systems that confuses me. I know I'm in a minority with this.

I wish they'd told me in the shop it might not work.

Feeling very :blush: and :(
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know the basics of using Word and Excel but it's the downloading of systems that confuses me.
    OK, then it's google drive for a quick start or Libre Office for a longer start.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    OK, then it's google drive for a quick start or Libre Office for a longer start.

Ok, am installing (I think!) Libre...

Will see what happens.

In the meantime, please all accept my thanks for your kindness and help so far x